Hurricane Matthew

Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Hurricane Matthew/Finnair

The hurricanes path is predicted to hit Florida worse than earlier assumed.Flights has already been cancelled and pax can change still scheduled flights. I wonder if Finnair flies Thursday - could be a bad day there but Friday even worse according to forecasts just now

Last edited by ylefin; Oct 6, 2016 at 5:23 pm Reason: Type
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:09 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
I don't think it is a question of Finnair, if MIA is open/accepting operations within weather limits AY will most likely fly but looking at CNN just now I think it is highely unlikely, I think they will close down tomorrow as the wind limits are most likely exceeded.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Tomorrows AY007/008 now zeroed in all classes and all code share codes zero also so it looks like it wont be flying tomorrow.

Maybe rerouted via JFK or ORD which is tomorrow this seasons last flight.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
All travel to FL should best be avoided Thursday to at least Saturday. Matthew might turn to the first full blown hurricane to hit FL in decades, no kidding with this one.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well TSR has a medium-low prediction of cat1 or above in florida 117 hours lead. While it is likely to become a cat4 within 21 hours, it is unlikely to reach MIA in that time.
I've landed in TPE in worse..

tropicalstromrisk.com
is the place to go if you need to keep track of Hurricanes and Typhoons.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:20 pm

In any case, first airports and seaports in Florida now closed and governor Scott and other officials calling this storm "deadly" and warning to take it seriously.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weath...005-story.html
Old Oct 5, 2016, 3:16 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The exact path ofcourse is difficult to predict and since it will grow into a cat4 tomorrow it needs to be taken seriously.
I just wanted to share the site which IMHO is a good one.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:05 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I flew over north of Caracas last Sunday and checked the flight route and it shows I flew just over Matthew...wonder that was safe then up high...
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:14 am

Still open at MIA but more and more cancellations, also SK has cancelled today's flight from CPH.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: AY LUMO
AY007:

FLIGHT CANCELLED
- - DUE TO HURRICANE
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:21 am

Good call, no point in fooling around with mother nature. The shorter domestic flights are of course different as easier to handle diversion etc.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:02 am

MCO closing down 8 pm EST tonight, smaller airports in Central Florida already earlier.

FLL (Fort Lauderdale) also shutting at 10:30 am today but MIA remaining open for the time being.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:54 am

It looks like the landfall will be a fair bit north of Miami so they might avoid the worst there..north-westernly at 35 knots gusting to 50 is in the forecast for Friday so it will be ugly at best and might go well beyond those numbers, too.

Northern coastal area will be shut down for sure, up to and including North Carolina.

No matter what, this looks to be one of the few cat4 to make landfall in the US, maybe 4-5 since 1970, they said..
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:09 pm

As a normal/routine hurricane hunter flight (well routine for those guys..) NOAA operated Lockheed WP-3D Orion is about to fly directly into the eye of Matthew.

FR24 data is what it is but looks to be one bumpy ride
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:33 pm

It seems a lot of the tourist infrastructure at the Florida seaside will be completely destroyed along with maybe some airports closer to the seashore closing for longer periods.

Road traffic might also be affected for an extended period, however FL National Guard troops and also Federal agencies are being mobilized to deal with the destruction after the hurricane passes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.