Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Announces SFO for S17

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:25 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
AY Announces SFO for S17

3 times a week from June 1 to September 30.

http://www.finnairgroup.com/mediaen/...l_2311437.html
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:33 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
OH! To my understanding they've received quite many requests about SFO but I never thought they'd actually do it. Anyway, it's good to get another NA destination (on the west coast!)
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Well, this was just a matter of time. Glad to see it happen!

Random dates in June give this info:

AY 011
HEL-SFO 16:35-17:20

AY012
SFO-HEL 19:10-15:30

Good schedule IMO although connections from SFO to Europe seem tight or undoable.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:52 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Seems to be operated by A333.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:06 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Where is this A333 taken from....
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:13 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Its about time with SK opening west coast routes 👍👍👍

LAX would have been better for me but this will work too
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by kauppias
Its about time with SK opening west coast routes 👍👍👍

LAX would have been better for me but this will work too
To SFO people are willing to pay more. SK's normal starting price for the cheapest tickets ex-FIN is 670€ to SFO vs. 450€ to LAX.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:23 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Where is this A333 taken from....
I stopped caring about A350 deliveries, but perhaps new bird is coming before S17 and A330 is freed up?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by intuition
I stopped caring about A350 deliveries, but perhaps new bird is coming before S17 and A330 is freed up?
On the other hand, either CKG or XIY might be given up?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
yes, there are some seasonal routes that we don't really know if they are working out or not. Add CAN to the mix. And the intermittent HKG second daily. FUK is another one on the suspects list. The kumamoto jishin didn't help the numbers.

But the pressrelease talks about "growth". Moving an aircraft from one route to another isn't growth.
In line with its growth strategy, Finnair has today announced that it will open a new seasonal route from Helsinki to San Francisco in June 2017
“We are very pleased to be taking another step forward in the growth of our airline as San Francisco is an exciting new destination for all of our customers,” says Juha Jδrvinen, Chief Commercial Officer at Finnair. ...
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by ffay005
Well, this was just a matter of time. Glad to see it happen!

Random dates in June give this info:

AY 011
HEL-SFO 16:35-17:20

AY012
SFO-HEL 19:10-15:30

Good schedule IMO although connections from SFO to Europe seem tight or undoable.
It will offer connections to most afternoon/evening flights out from HEL with maybe except MAN, CDG, MXP that depart ~4ish, but yes will be VERY tight. If I remember correctly minimum connection time is 40min for Schengen/Non-Schengen

Pricewise
Y exHEL ~800€, exEurope ~700€
C exEurope ~3000€ and exHEL 4400€

Just waiting for offers now.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Furry
It will offer connections to most afternoon/evening flights out from HEL with maybe except MAN, CDG, MXP that depart ~4ish, but yes will be VERY tight. If I remember correctly minimum connection time is 40min for Schengen/Non-Schengen

Pricewise

Kinda weird that they didn't schedule it 5 minutes beforehand. That way they would've had MAN and CDG within the 40 minutes (they dep 1605)
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:23 am

Would DOH-HEL-SFO work? Many Emirates and Etihad flights flights to California fly over Finland. The times of Qatar's day flights should work but how are the days? How would the total length of flying time compare with other options? I tried to search but could not find the answer.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by Furry

Pricewise

Interesting. They are selling also First on those direct flights. Just wonder if they are going to do the same as AB did when introducing new AB business class, that AY is naming the first row as First Also the note is noteworthy: "...trip includes flights in various travel cabins: Business, Economy." Just wonder what you really would get for that 7436€
Attached Images  
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by nordic
Would DOH-HEL-SFO work? Many Emirates and Etihad flights flights to California fly over Finland. The times of Qatar's day flights should work but how are the days? How would the total length of flying time compare with other options? I tried to search but could not find the answer.
If QR sticks to the schedule they have right now, it works twice a week both ways.

On Thursdays and Sundays, the QR flight lands at HEL 13:55 and AY011 departs HEL at 16:35.

On the way back, it works on Fridays and Mondays. The Thursday & Sunday flight from SFO lands at HEL on 15:30 on Friday/Monday and the QR flight departs at 16:15. There's no security control involved so this works like a breeze.

I wonder if AY and QR will do some cooperation here. If not, it'll probably be horrendously expensive. Does QR codeshare extensively with OW partners?

Last edited by ffay005; Sep 22, 2016 at 1:37 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.