Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair status?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
Did not know that, unofficial perk I presume?
Worked for me earlier this year, and I must have learnt the trick from more experienced AY Plus gurus here.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by niksal
Worked for me earlier this year, and I must have learnt the trick from more experienced AY Plus gurus here.
Used the same perk earlier this year when I got my AY+ Gold card and it worked great. Just emailed AY+ Gold line and the change was made within an hour or so.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
Did not know that, unofficial perk I presume?
Perk or just plain common sense. The other option would be to first cancel the points upgrade and make it again with vouchers. This way though, there might not be availability, while the current (good) system keeps your upgrade and just changes the payment instrument ^
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Will look forward to using this unofficial perk.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:23 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I think of this not so much a perk as CS reps being pragmatic and looking out for customer best. In any case if CS is flooded with a certain kind of requests, sooner or later someone will look into why time is devoted to it and enhance the policy. Use it wisely.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by intuition
I think of this not so much a perk as CS reps being pragmatic and looking out for customer best. In any case if CS is flooded with a certain kind of requests, sooner or later someone will look into why time is devoted to it and enhance the policy. Use it wisely.
Good point. It's almost never a good thing when airlines make their rules stricter.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not that someone actually could overdo this - after all the vouchers expiry at the end of the period, so no hoarding is possible.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:26 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
True.

But the other way around - let's say you have only 1 week left before membership year end and you have no vouchers. You book something 11 months out and use points to upgrade and then one week later call in and ask for your points back because you now have vouchers. Seems like a good example when you should stay cool, wait one week and then use your new vouchers instead of forcing CS to handle your case twice.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IRL this would mean losing your voucher
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:42 am
Moderator, Finnair

?!

I'm talking the other way around.

Timeline:
1. You have no vouchers
2. You upgrade for points
3. You receive new vouchers
4. You ask CS to use the new vouchers instead and give you back the points
5. You are now voucher upgraded and have all your points left.

Nothing lost. But you secured the upgrade spot at a time when you didn't have vouchers.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:22 am

?!

Timeline:
1. You have no vouchers
2. You upgrade for points
3. You receive new vouchers
4. You ask CS to use the new vouchers instead and give you back the points
5. You are now voucher upgraded and have all your points left.

Nothing lost. But you secured the upgrade spot at a time when you didn't have vouchers.
Well thanks to you Sir Intuition for clarifying this for the thread. And all of us must remember to use this unofficial perk wisely.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

?!

Sorry, misread your original, my bad.

Still, this is something that one can do basically only a few times per year, given the limited numbers and validity of the vouchers. Also I see no reason for doing it shorthaul. But yes, no need to overdo it.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:34 am

300k gifts

I am about to hit 300k points this year. Out of curiousity, what does Finnair reward this "milestone" with? I remember for 200k, there were some rewards I could choose from. Can someone who's hit this mark let us know if it's the same as at 200k or something different? Cheers!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Bigem
I am about to hit 300k points this year. Out of curiousity, what does Finnair reward this "milestone" with? I remember for 200k, there were some rewards I could choose from. Can someone who's hit this mark let us know if it's the same as at 200k or something different? Cheers!
It is a little bit more. IIRC 60k points or 6 sh upgrades or something else
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Bigem
I didn't hit 300k myself, but I believe the gift selection is
* 6 sh upgrade vouchers
* 60k award points
* Donation of 60k award points to ...
* Goodspeed Mi-fi
* Sony Music Box
* Marimekko Jurmo pussilakanaseti
* Marimekko "for finnair" teapot and cups set

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.