Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair status?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by lkrt
It's crazy. I still vividly remember the days as AY Lifetime (or so I thought) Basic thinking even Silver status was way out of my reach. I only thought the best of the most successful businetic people earn status and especially that Plats are some kind of millionaires.
Originally Posted by intuition
No we plats used to be millionaires, before we got hooked on this!
But isn't being a points millionaire better?

Many Lifetime Basics I know seem to be resigned to their fate. "How can I ever even get to Silver when flying to China and back gives me only 4000 points?" Is it really that hard to learn the basic rules of the game?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 12:11 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
No we plats used to be millionaires, before we got hooked on this!
I´m still under 1M with my cheapo travel , eagerly waiting to break the big bang.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:27 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by jmmi
But isn't being a points millionaire better?
LOL, yes indeed!

Originally Posted by jmmi
Many Lifetime Basics I know seem to be resigned to their fate. "How can I ever even get to Silver when flying to China and back gives me only 4000 points?" Is it really that hard to learn the basic rules of the game?
Well I kind of understand the sentiment - I just received a whooping 239 AY+ points for a 2h+ flight. If that was my typical flight I'd also be pretty indifferent to earning miles.

I guess 'learning the rules of the game' is something only those who call it 'the game' is bothered with (ie the FT crowd and alike). Most people have some work flights (which they have no control over) and some leisure flights (where price is the number 1 deciding factor). Signing up was not a well researched decision and when they get a few hundred points a flight, a few thousands in a year, disdain is only natural.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:56 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by lkrt
It's crazy. I still vividly remember the days as AY Lifetime (or so I thought) Basic thinking even Silver status was way out of my reach. ...
Reading this, I came to think about my own newbie era - signed up AY+ because I thought I would be going to the Inkoo archipelago more than once. Long story short, no activity in the account for a long while but after what I thought was a "YOLO"-trip I was close to Gold. "Would be a shame to let that go to waste!" Followed by "Hey, why not push for platinum" and and "I will call this my flying-year and in my old age look back on that one single year when I did all my fancy flying".

Haha, that didn't work out quite as I planned!

Originally Posted by FFlash
I´m still under 1M with my cheapo travel , eagerly waiting to break the big bang.
Yey! But don't pin to much gaiety on it, my 1 million crossing only made me realise that the 5 million for lifetime status is unreachable.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Reading this, I came to think about my own newbie era - signed up AY+ because I thought I would be going to the Inkoo archipelago more than once. Long story short, no activity in the account for a long while but after what I thought was a "YOLO"-trip I was close to Gold. "Would be a shame to let that go to waste!" Followed by "Hey, why not push for platinum" and and "I will call this my flying-year and in my old age look back on that one single year when I did all my fancy flying".
Yey! But don't pin to much gaiety on it, my 1 million crossing only made me realise that the 5 million for lifetime status is unreachable.
Yeah, I also thought that the year I'd become Silver would be one sole year of "frequent" flying. I don't think there's going back once you cross the line?

It looks like it's going to be a while until I get to a million in lifetime points but I guess I still have a lifetime ahead of me to get those missing 2,8 million...
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:15 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Lifetime Platinum kills this nice and lovely hobby.

But maybe it is not current for me after AY Plus goes to revenue earning.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Lifetime Platinum kills this nice and lovely hobby.

But maybe it is not current for me after AY Plus goes to revenue earning.
God forbid revenue based FF schemes coming to Europe.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
God forbid revenue based FF schemes coming to Europe.
It's only matter of time.

Have to take now everything you get, because later after revenue comes, lifetime Basic White shines in my wallet.
So my advice is to speed up and get Lifetime Gold as fast it's possible.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Talking

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
It's only matter of time.

Have to take now everything you get, because later after revenue comes, lifetime Basic White shines in my wallet.
So my advice is to speed up and get Lifetime Gold as fast it's possible.
My basic cards only make into a drawer never to my wallet
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE) since 2007, Star Alliance Gold, Jetairways Gold, Sky Team Silver
I've been BA Gold almost every year for the past 10 years. Had AY Gold simultaneously a couple of times. Have been upgraded once once to F class on BA but nothing more. Of course the usual BA perks are nice but there's so many BAEC members on gold that you have to be GGL to get any preferential treatment. On the other hand on AY Gold I got upgraded several times even when traveling with friends into J. BA Gold is easier to achieve but equivalent AY Plat probably gets you more concrete perks and "status".
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I will make AY Gold this month. My tracking period ends in January.

Will I get 4 SH vouchers in September (which I can use to upgrade one LH sector in June 2017, provided that the flights are booked and ticketed during 2016) and then again get 4 SH vouchers in January, which I can use to upgrade another LH sector in June 2017?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Originally Posted by ffay005
I will make AY Gold this month. My tracking period ends in January.

Will I get 4 SH vouchers in September (which I can use to upgrade one LH sector in June 2017, provided that the flights are booked and ticketed during 2016) and then again get 4 SH vouchers in January, which I can use to upgrade another LH sector in June 2017?
Yes
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by niksal
Yes
Thanks! I just realised this yesterday – I had thought I would upgrade one way with points and the other with the voucher. But this is a lot better
Old Sep 5, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Originally Posted by ffay005
Thanks! I just realised this yesterday – I had thought I would upgrade one way with points and the other with the voucher. But this is a lot better
You can now upgrade using points. When you get the vouchers you can contact Finnair Plus and they will return your points and use the vouchers instead. This way you don't risk the upgrade space disappearing.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by niksal
You can now upgrade using points. When you get the vouchers you can contact Finnair Plus and they will return your points and use the vouchers instead. This way you don't risk the upgrade space disappearing.
Did not know that, unofficial perk I presume?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.