Wiki Posts
Search

Mysterious seat maps

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Mysterious seat maps

Flying to LJU on AY A32B tomorrow. We are four people travelling on two reservations (3 people + 1 person). I first checked in 3 people - virtually the whole seat map was available, and I was able to snatch exit row seats for all three of us. I then proceeded to check in the fourth person, now the seat map was entirely blocked save for seats 30B and 7B.

Because of this, I then tried to move one of us closed to seat 7B. Now about 70 % of the seat map was blocked, but I was able to pick seat 7D.

I am guessing that AY has designed the system so that larger groups have better choice in choosing their seats. However, I really can't understand why the system would block all but two seats for a solo traveller.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Any idea what the pattern for the seat blocking is? No status on the booking for anyone.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
In some instances, I've found the seat map more open when the pax has status. Might this be the case here too?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by deissi
Flying to LJU on AY A32B tomorrow. We are four people travelling on two reservations (3 people + 1 person). I first checked in 3 people - virtually the whole seat map was available, and I was able to snatch exit row seats for all three of us. I then proceeded to check in the fourth person, now the seat map was entirely blocked save for seats 30B and 7B.

Because of this, I then tried to move one of us closed to seat 7B. Now about 70 % of the seat map was blocked, but I was able to pick seat 7D.

I am guessing that AY has designed the system so that larger groups have better choice in choosing their seats. However, I really can't understand why the system would block all but two seats for a solo traveller.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Any idea what the pattern for the seat blocking is? No status on the booking for anyone.
Well, don't know the exact patterns how it works but for me it has varied by: booking class in ticket (seems to be quite important if no status!), ffp number on reservation, status etc.

For example about one year ago before I moved to AY+ I had my AA number in reservation (without any status) and in check-in there was only couple of seats available -> I entered by AY+ (without any status) and after that there were maybe 50% available. So it seems that they value their on members even without status.

This week I was travelling to BRU with a colleague. My ticket was Z class and his S. I had my AY Gold number in reservation and once checking in all exit row seats were not available. When he checked in (no FFP in reserv. at the moment) it showed 2 seats available in exit row. When I checked in adding both PNR into check-in process I was able to select exit row seats for both of us. Maybe it's too late for you but you could try checking-in both PNR's at same time for your flight?

And more more thing, if it shows only few seats available at T-36 or T-24 try waiting for T-12 or something. Usually that way there will be some available.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AY's DCS, Amadeus Altea, has the ability to show/mask seats available based on various criteria (FFP status, fare paid etc).
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:54 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
However, if they are using this feature they are doing it really badly.

I have a party of three flying. One Gold, one junior and one non-member. They are not flying from the same origins, so they are all three on different PNR but they are on the same flights Asia-HEL-EU.
PNRs are linked to me, via FQTR. The longhaul sector is upgraded and thus I've been able to chose seats in advance. Now I've been waiting for T-36 to check them in and to seat them together on the shorthaul.

Finnair's algorithm has place the gold and the non-member together on row 3 and the junior alone on row 20. At T-36 ALL *) seats are marked occupied.

Expertflyer shows several seats available. So it seems to be Finnair usage of show/mask available seats, but this also means they completely killed the function of selecting seats for free at check-in.

So if they are using this amadeus feature to block free seat selection at check-in they are hitting a new low. This is worse behaviour than LCC.

*) In the end I fund a few seats not masked as unavailable. When I scrolled to the top, 3D-F was free. My guess is they had to "move the blanket" at a late stage and thus freed up row 3 after they did their pathetic seat masking.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Really depends how it was customised. BA & LH definitely use it, albeit differently.
http://www.amadeus.com/web/amadeus/e...=1319616835445
Customer value: At each step of the customer management process, Altéa Departure Control – Customer Management identifies the value of your customers. Through pre-defined business rules you will be able to offer personalised services to your high-value customers.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:00 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I got reply from Finnair, and it seems to be what they wanted. No seat selection at any time unless status.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:00 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
I got reply from Finnair, and it seems to be what they wanted. No seat selection at any time unless status.
How can they call themselves a "'legacy carrier" ? - even worse than most LCCs. I know many people who would not be able to fit into a middle, or even window, seat in AY coach, this must create some really interesting boarding hassles for them..
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:20 am
Moderator, Finnair

Exactly what I said. Worse than LCC.
AY platinum email support insisted on calling it "pre-selecting" seats and claimed it costs money (which in itself is wrong because there is no way to pay for seats during the check in procedure)

My mail to AY:
I just tried to check in NAME/PNR as it is 36 hours before his take off. However, the seat map shows no seats available to choose from. See attached picture to the right. However, if a gold member tries to check-in to the same flight, the seat map to the left is shown.
Platinum desks statement as to why it is not possible to select a seat at check-in:
Yes, advance seat selection for Gold card members is still free of charge (except Economy comfort seats). <flyer-name> is booked to the different booking and pre-selecting seat is chargeable for him.
Magically, seats appeared on the seat map after mail conversation. However, at T-36 there was zero seats available for check-in a non-status pax while a gold member could select from 6-7 seats on the same flight. A few hours later a few other seats were suddenly available, but never more than a handfull at any given time time. There is certainly something fishy going on with this.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:26 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by deissi

Not before, but it did today. Very much what you just described. Seat map being fully blocked, then fully blocked except a few seats. Moving people in the reservation failed, resulting in both seats marked as unavailable.

This is not seat blocking. This is either a new policy to force people to pay for ASR or a major system hickup.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:49 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
Not before, but it did today. Very much what you just described. Seat map being fully blocked, then fully blocked except a few seats. Moving people in the reservation failed, resulting in both seats marked as unavailable.

This is not seat blocking. This is either a new policy to force people to pay for ASR or a major system hickup.
Major, major flaw and just goes too far, in my opinion. Seat is a Seat, nothing more. Status Pax can anyway pre-select so nothing taken away from anyone...at T-36 eager statusless Y-pax should have every free seat available to choose from, that's my 2 cents.

Totally feel your pain, intuition..
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Major, major flaw and just goes too far, in my opinion. Seat is a Seat, nothing more. Status Pax can anyway pre-select so nothing taken away from anyone...at T-36 eager statusless Y-pax should have every free seat available to choose from, that's my 2 cents.

Totally feel your pain, intuition..
Well there are also low leveled Silver status pax who can't choose in advance. Nevertheless I found it interesting that already at T-48 I got a seat assigned while still 2/3 of the seats were unassigned. At T-36 I could choose any of those unassigned seats. Flight was full. Next time I had exactly same behavior.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:48 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Do you have status with AY+?

Becasue some statusless flyers are allowed to pay and pre-select seat as usual, but when T-36 arrives (at check-in), they are not allowed to select a seat anymore. At all.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Yes I have Silver. I was more highlighting the fact that allowing everyone to choose any seat would remove my inofficial benefit. I have no chance to select a better seat before check-in free of charge.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 11:24 pm

Had a similar experience. at check in the seat map was completely full, no selection.

When I tried to "modify my check in" a few hours later a lot of space was available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.