Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:39 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by offshore_bob
Forgive the question (I've tried searching the forum, probably using wrong search words) but does this relate to the colour coding of seats on the cabin crew's ipad-thingies they use when doing the drinks service? I saw I was highlighted gold with other seats/people different colours.
I don't think it always works. We were OWE and in blue. Didn't matter as we were in J, but I wonder whether we would have been bypassed for free drinks in Y. Boarding passes all correctly reflected BA OWE. The ticket was a BA coded one on AY J, so I wonder if that made a difference.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Jed
I don't think it always works. We were OWE and in blue. Didn't matter as we were in J, but I wonder whether we would have been bypassed for free drinks in Y. Boarding passes all correctly reflected BA OWE. The ticket was a BA coded one on AY J, so I wonder if that made a difference.
I hear they've been having issues with codeshares. I wasn't recognized as a Platinum when flying AY on CX code.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:05 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Jed
I don't think it always works. We were OWE and in blue. Didn't matter as we were in J, ...
Might it be that they didn't implement the colour coding for J travellers?
Just guessing, but there are rarely any recognition of status when on J ticket IMHO.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
Originally Posted by lkrt
I hear they've been having issues with codeshares. I wasn't recognized as a Platinum when flying AY on CX code.
Same here. Wasn't recognized when flying AY on BA codeshare. A couple of glances to FA iPhones showed my seat as white (maybe that's "other OW FF"?). I did see expected blacks, golds and silvers (and blues) around the cabin (including SH J).
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by intuition
Just guessing, but there are rarely any recognition of status when on J ticket IMHO.
My guess too. Peeked at the device when in J two weeks ago and nobody's name was highlighted in any way in the front.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
With the introduction of new devices the free drinks success rate has been 100% so far, and it's also more convenient for us shy Finns when people sitting next to you wonder who are you and why you don't have to pay

HEL-LJU and back purser greeted "Mr. X I presume" and handed a newspaper (no choice, but that route is quite Aurinkomatkat so maybe they only stock IS/HS)
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:21 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by intuition
They had some passengers highlighted in gold. Only 2-3 at most in a 32 seat J on HEL-LHR. Some silver passengers too. I suspected it had to be wrong, as at least 1/3 the cabin sported BA gold (OWE) luggage tags and we recognised most of them as being on our connection from TLL
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:56 am

Just back from our 4 Norra and AY flights. Only on one flight they asked me and my wife if we want a drink as I'm a Emerald member.
On the other 3 flights I showed them my boarding pass, then they said "sure u and your wife can choose something". They seems to be very disappointed that we haven't choose some alcoholic "u want just a coke, you could have champagne".
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
ARN-HEL today was funny. FA had a big bunch of IS in her hand and simply shouted "who wants a paper". Maybe we were too many plats on board? Very uninterested crew in general, probably annoyed by the delay a Friday evening.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Better set ARN expectations to zero, not to be disappointed. I just booked DY today just for s and giggles to compare status on legacy vs non-status on LCC. How bad can it be, right?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:17 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
IME DY has just a good seat block system as AY has !
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Not much status benefits on a ARN flight anyways so might as well book with price on that route!

I stopped booking AY there, OSL and CPH I Will still book AY if the price is right but otherwise SK. I have not tried DY YET but perhaps I should give it a go 😀
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
A new soft perk: "thank you for plat membership" said the purser during disembarking the door.
SPBanker, Steve_Hun and juhanh like this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Excellent recognition yesterday from ZRH to HEL, secret code was not used at all. Newspaper was distributed before the take-off with the FA saying "Platinum greetings from Finnair". When offering the drinks he again made sure that he knew my status: What would you like to drink, I will put the bill on Finnair Plus. Also "seat block" or what ever it should be called worked in a packed plane.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by mhle
Excellent recognition yesterday from ZRH to HEL, secret code was not used at all. Newspaper was distributed before the take-off with the FA saying "Platinum greetings from Finnair". When offering the drinks he again made sure that he knew my status: What would you like to drink, I will put the bill on Finnair Plus. Also "seat block" or what ever it should be called worked in a packed plane.
What a great and witty way to handle it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.