Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by intuition
Still it seems pretty offensive to assume based on gender.
Or age.

I look younger than your typical elite so I've been discriminated as well.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Or age.

I had similar experiences
"ooooh, you're a plat...."
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by casper79
I had similar experiences
"ooooh, you're a plat...."
"Wrong line, buddy"

"But I am (was) a Sapphire"

"Oh I'm sorry sir go right ahead"
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
"Wrong line, buddy"

"But I am (was) a Sapphire"

"Oh I'm sorry sir go right ahead"
I had a similar experience flying home from SIN last fall in harem pants, a pink hoodie, and a really dirty day backpack. I flew business and drew some pretty long stares because I so didn't fit.

"Lady plat" here as you know. I never miss a newspaper due to FA's gender bias. And I really don't look businessy.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Furry
I got Iltalehti as being "suomalainen" and neighbor in A seat got Financial Times. Done solely based on name I think. Not the best way to do it IMO.
Agreed. I know quite a few people with "non-Finnish" names who speak perfect Finnish - and then a handful of people with "Finnish" names who don't actually speak Finnish at all (sometimes being either Swedish or children of Finnish immigrants).
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
And then there are Finnish speaking Finns who'd rather read The Financial Times than IL.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:39 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It is a tricky thing, 'cause we all love when FA are super sensitive and aware of our preferences, but how can they really do it without any actual register of it. So the difference between a excellent FA who just knows what I want and one that is prejudiced is thin as a hair.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Or age.

What is typical elite ?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
What is typical elite ?
A middle aged man.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:47 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
What is typical elite ?
I'd too say that a middle aged man who spends more time away from the family than he wants. There are all sorts of elites around, any age and gender etc. for sure, but one thing we have to keep in mind is that as great FT is, us here, we represent a small, small minority in the mass (and, with that said, I'm pretty sure if we take all AY Plats from this board, middle aged men will still rule the stats )
Old May 1, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Last night on AY82 - no recognition whatsoever. No newspaper, no (proactive) drink, no wifi (with last name + seat no.), no greetings, no nothing. Sometimes it feels AY doesn't care about keeping loyal customers on-board at all...
Old May 1, 2017, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Unsub
Last night on AY82 - no recognition whatsoever. No newspaper, no (proactive) drink, no wifi (with last name + seat no.), no greetings, no nothing. Sometimes it feels AY doesn't care about keeping loyal customers on-board at all...
I am fairly sure AY cares, the question is does the specific crew member care...

And did you give feedback to AY that it did not happen? Otherwise how would they know that their crew is not following instructions? Just a quick note, stating the facts, don't make a big thing out of it. But in order to fix, they need to know it needs fixing.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
... But in order to fix, they need to know it needs fixing.
While this is true, I think they do not put any special weight on individual complaints. They are firm believers in numbers and the numbers are telling them they are doing quite alright. (Numbers come from, inter alia, inflight customer surveys conducted on op-up heavy routes).

You are absolutely right one should make a note to Finnair every time they don't fulfil the service promise, one should just not have too much expectation that something will happen.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
And did you give feedback to AY that it did not happen?
Originally Posted by intuition
You are absolutely right one should make a note to Finnair every time they don't fulfil the service promise
Yes, I always do.
Old May 6, 2017, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Unsub
I flew AY82 the day before you did. Nice and friendly SIN crew. No greeting by name or express status acknowledgement, BUT the purser came before takeoff to take my meal orders, while the rest of the cabin made their orders much later on, so definitely some subtle recogniton here. Drinks were offered all around already during boarding, that had nothing to do with status. Wi-Fi IS a hit and miss, but not the crew's fault.

I asked for The Economist (not in the bunch on offer) and got it - the FA brought it to me with the cover page hidden, so that others won't get ideas (I think)

(Probably this flight was the last to offer the April 20% off campaign for on board tax free - as I was landing on May Day morning, the champers needs were taken care of ^)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.