Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by Ukki
I oppose. Definetely I would like to have a snack as a (consistent) alternative for a drink. Free drink is practically nothing for me since I do not use alcoholic drinks. Blueberry juice, snack, and coffee...
When I have to drive after the flight, I still get my free drink because now I don't have to pay for the soft drinks.

But if you don't use alcohol and don't want to have a soft drink and the drinks you really want are the coffee and the blueberry juice then I agree, the benefit is kind of loss for you.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:43 pm
Suspended

When is it the best time to pre-order a meal on the short flight with finnair ? can i pre-order my meal 2 months before departure or is that too early and things can change anytime now and until then ?

Only problem is... theres only 3 type meals availble to choose.. but i think if you go on the plane you can look at the menu and there seems to be far more menus and snacks to choose instead of what they offer online with just 3 basic meals for less then 12 euros proximate.

So what should i do.. dont order and just wait to be on the plane and look at the menu when im in the plane .?

I mean it all depends if that flight shows menus on board. It seems that with my last experience there seems far more snacks and drinks and meals then the online finnair has to offer with 3 basic meals to choose from. I could be wrong.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
For the past couple of years I've had no issues using my upgrade vouchers to upgrade non-family members on flights that I'm not on myself. Now, for the first time, AY denied my request. I always thought it as a plat perk but now it's apparently gone.. Does anyone else have any experiences? Any workarounds? I don't really understand what they gain by having that "family members only" rule to begin with.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:30 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Did you call customer service? I just did another upgrade by voucher over the phone last week and I don't think I even mentioned it was for my mother, just another female with a different last name. I've always done it like this and no issues either...
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:38 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Excerpts from the rules:

Collected points can be transferred between the accounts of family members.

An award can be given to a close relative or to a person belonging to the same household. His/her name must be provided when the award is reserved.

Finnair notifies the member in writing of the discontinuation of membership, of the reason for the discontinuation, and of the cancellation of points. The above-mentioned due causes given by a member include any breach of the rules presented herein or the falsification, alteration, sale, or unauthorized transfer to another person of documents such as flight tickets or vouchers entitling a member to awards.

And from the Platinum perks listing:

You can upgrade up to three family members from Economy Class to Business Class with your points to join you, when you have bought a Business Class ticket. The point charge for an intercontinental return flight is 50,000 points per person, and 10,000 point per person for return flights within Europe.

I guess the old fashioned explanation for family or same household members suffice: they use the same fridge. But for close relatives, one could be more inventive...

If there is one PNR and the Platinum member is also traveling along, I do not think there would be any problems. Never tried it the other way out.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Stated in the T&C:
An award can be given to a close relative or to a person belonging to the same household.
I haven't had any issues (nor being questioned) upgrading or booking awards for family, including parents-in-law.
Can't recall having tried to upgrade a random friend ever, so no idea if that has gotten easier or harder.

Originally Posted by Unsub
...I don't really understand what they gain by having that "family members only" rule to begin with.
Probably preventing a black market of buying/selling awards and perks intended for the member. The loyalty program is aimed at giving us, the frequent flyer, some perks that makes us keep on flying a lot - not to give us cashback rewards.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
Probably preventing a black market of buying/selling awards and perks intended for the member. The loyalty program is aimed at giving us, the frequent flyer, some perks that makes us keep on flying a lot - not to give us cashback rewards.
Good point. I sure hope that this restriction doesn't happen to the Gold giveaway. By the way, I've been contacted multiple times asking whether I would sell or trade the Gold giveaway - Mainly through Instagram (where I have some pictures with hashtags giving my status away) but also here in FT.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold
Originally Posted by TTL
And from the Platinum perks listing:

You can upgrade up to three family members from Economy Class to Business Class with your points to join you, when you have bought a Business Class ticket. The point charge for an intercontinental return flight is 50,000 points per person, and 10,000 point per person for return flights within Europe.
I have a question about that perk. Do I need to book a business ticket first, or can I book an economy ticket, upgrade to business and then also upgrade my girlfriend?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:24 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
No, it must be a paid Business ticket in order for family upgrade to work.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I was personally welcomed by the purser on an A350 LHR-HEL flight in J recently, quite unexpected, but felt genuine and I appreciated the gesture.

During the second leg of my journey, a domestic flight, I requested champagne for which payment was not asked for. Very nice indeed. ^
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Interesting! I didn't know champagne was kept in stock for domestic flights.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:13 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by remymartin
Interesting! I didn't know champagne was kept in stock for domestic flights.
So you'll start flying domestic now?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:21 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by cistavoda
So you'll start flying domestic now?
Are the CCs younger?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by remymartin
Are the CCs younger?
On the n°rra operated ones, yes!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, OWE
BKK-HEL...the cabin crew chief came personally by before take off and chatted for a while and welcomed onboard. When we got delayed she came by and apologised on behalf of the airline. Later she took care of my pre-order, and made sure that all was ok. Naturally also the rest of the crew were nice and professional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.