Wiki Posts
Search

HEL this afternoon, 18 Jun 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
HEL this afternoon, 18 Jun 2016

Non-schengen lounges at HEL were appalling this afternoon. Absolutely nowhere to sit in either lounge (I'm OneWorld emerald) so we went in the business lounge and had the most disgusting pasta carbonara I've ever had. I travel through HEL every week and this is the first time that my wife has travelled with me. She could not believe how poor it was. Luckily we are heading to LHR and we will use the first class lounge this evening.

Poor show, FinnAir.

Last edited by HighwayToHEL; Jun 18, 2016 at 10:47 am
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
If possible, can you please include the specific date in the title line?

Thank you.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Good point; edited.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 3:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I've moved this thread into the Finnair forum.

Prospero
Senior Moderator
Old Jun 19, 2016, 3:43 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Theses lounges have had overcrowd issues for quite sometime, and it has gotten worse with Finnair expanding. Due to the nature of Finnair's longhaul operations, almost all travellers hit the lounges at the same time of day. At noon it is an eerie place, at 15:00 it is packed.

Changes are coming later this year, as Finnair decided to remove lounge access from some travellers starting sept 1. There also is a re-balancing going on between the 2 non-schengen lounges, where sapphires are now only allowed in the business lounge, hopefully making the premium lounge less crowded.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by intuition
Theses lounges have had overcrowd issues for quite sometime, and it has gotten worse with Finnair expanding. Due to the nature of Finnair's longhaul operations, almost all travellers hit the lounges at the same time of day. At noon it is an eerie place, at 15:00 it is packed.

Changes are coming later this year, as Finnair decided to remove lounge access from some travellers starting sept 1. There also is a re-balancing going on between the 2 non-schengen lounges, where sapphires are now only allowed in the business lounge, hopefully making the premium lounge less crowded.
Honeslty the schengen lounge has more issues then just over crowding...

IMO the offerings are NOT very good...

I dread going there when flying schengen flights...

With a little effort they could improve it...

Its still nicer then many lounges but they could do so much better.

The service has improved and they clean it more often then before but food wise a big 👎👎👎
Old Jun 19, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by kauppias
Honeslty the schengen lounge has more issues then just over crowding...

IMO the offerings are NOT very good...

I dread going there when flying schengen flights...

With a little effort they could improve it...

Its still nicer then many lounges but they could do so much better.

The service has improved and they clean it more often then before but food wise a big 👎👎👎
And all of those stated above are true for the non-Schengen business class lounge, too. The only decent one is the Premium lounge (still not reaching the levels of the J lounges in e.g. HKG though).
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: M&M mainly
...the most disgusting pasta carbonara I've ever had...
I had a privilege to meet this dish on last Thursday in Schengen lounge. Unbelieveble, the only positive was it was warmish, otherwise I doubted if this was a) pasta b) carbonara.
On positive note; salad always consists of iceberg lettuce which is pretty fresh, at least crunchy, but what is added to it constitutes gastronomic mystery of dish concept.
Examples of last 2-3 months additions to iceberg lettuce:
- smoked salmon
- dry tuna
- quark
- feta
- pieces of fruits (orange, pinapple etc)
- something similar to chicken
- something similar to cheese

Bon appetite!
Old Jun 19, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
And all of those stated above are true for the non-Schengen business class lounge, too. The only decent one is the Premium lounge (still not reaching the levels of the J lounges in e.g. HKG though).
Wow if thats true then its a sad state of affairs... To be honest I have not been on that side since premium opened... But it used to have some nice food fonger snacks and sandwiches etc...
Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:10 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well, I would say that the quality of what is offered in premium lounge is not bad. The "gourmet-snacks" are all fine.

But there is no variation and there is far to little on offer when you want more than snacks. Basically, there is soup and there is Rosemary potatoes. That is all the hot food they offer, and that is only part of the day!
Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
It's a pity that the food offerings are really bad in the Schengen and non-Schengen lounges. The spaces are very nice and they have lots of potential to be really good lounges if they just stepped up their food - and drink - game a bit. The other option would be to provide a separate premium Schengen lounge as well.

However, I think that the premium lounge is a really nice space and the offerings are very competitive. The food is very Finnish/Nordic with the needed "upscale" touch to it compared to the normal non-Schengen lounge with pea-corn-pepper vegetable mix.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 3:20 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by intuition
Well, I would say that the quality of what is offered in premium lounge is not bad. The "gourmet-snacks" are all fine.

But there is no variation and there is far to little on offer when you want more than snacks. Basically, there is soup and there is Rosemary potatoes. That is all the hot food they offer, and that is only part of the day!
Hmm, I've had e.g. chicken in recent times.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Sorry, I can't agree with this statement. I find the level of offerings, both drinks and food, higher in HEL Premium Lounge.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Sorry, I can't agree with this statement. I find the level of offerings, both drinks and food, higher in HEL Premium Lounge.
Yes, I agree with you. HKG CX lounges have gone downhill recently after the provider change but I guess Pier J might be a different thing? Also Qantas lounge at HKG has better hot food options than HEL Premium.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
Yes, I agree with you. HKG CX lounges have gone downhill recently after the provider change but I guess Pier J might be a different thing? Also Qantas lounge at HKG has better hot food options than HEL Premium.
Pier F is of course very different, don't know really about Pier J. And yes, you're right about Qantas lounge and hot options. Otherwise, AY Premium better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.