Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Official policy as it was published in 2017. My bolding to direct readers to the most commonly asked part. Do note wording 'allow'.

THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Finnair takes care of passenger’s through check-in in all cases where the passenger has an agreement of carriage with Finnair and the through check-in is technically possible and is according to local instructions. This agreement of carriage requires that the passenger holds a Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check, or an electronic ticket, as defined in the Conditions of Carriage and issued by Finnair or on its behalf.
Passenger’s flight reservation (PNR) and flight ticket (single agreement with specific airline) are not always the same thing. Each ticket with different ticket number is an independent agreement of carriage with the ticketed air carrier. It is not possible to through check either passenger or baggage between separate flight tickets even if they are in the same PNR. Check-in is possible only to the final destination on each individual agreement of carriage (= flight ticket).
It’s important to remember that MCT (Minimum Connection Time) at each airport is based on the assumption that flights are booked on the same ticket and this way passenger and baggage may be through checked to the final destination. In case flights are on separate tickets, passenger has to collect baggage and recheck on the connecting flight at the transfer station thus MCT is no longer valid. Passenger shall be informed already at the time of reservation that check-in can be done only as far as Finnair has a contract of carriage with the passenger.

FINNAIR THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Passenger and baggage shall be through checked to the final destination as indicated by the flight ticket, provided it constitutes one single agreement of carriage with Finnair. Finnair will provide through check-in for a journey ticketed in a single PNR; this includes segments ticketed separately but booked in the same PNR (and/or referenced in a single PNR during the time of booking).

In addition to the basic rule Finnair will allow through check-in of customer and baggage with separate tickets on separate PNRs on AY–AY (including AY franchising flights operated by Norra) connections when the transfer is within the Minimum Connection Time (MCT). For AY–AY connection flights on the separate PNRs have to be both marketed and operated by Finnair or Norra and flights ticketed on the 105-stock. The agent shall always inform the customer of the destination where the customer and his or her baggage are checked-in to.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat

So at the check in today I asked about AYs policy now that OW weakened itself

CI agent at the platinum desk ask AY to AY on separate tickets was OK but nothing else!

Big thumbs down but still better then ba's stance...

AA seemingly still allows baggage on separate tickets for now atleast...
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
This really sucks for e.g. AY->CX/KA connections (I am cheap, so often slap on a cheap Y ticket for the HKG-xxx leg)
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:30 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold
What is the current policy for OW and AY? In April booked two tickets with AA since AA's booking system seems to choose the most expensive leg and apply it for the whole itinerary, which makes a trip with many legs VERY expensive ($4000 USD difference). The CI agent just merged my itineraries and the bags went all the way to final destination.

I've been thinking of doing the same with NRT-HEL-STO since NRT-STO can be very expensive sometimes, but booking NRT-HEL and HEL-STO is cheaper.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:12 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Kauppias, what is this OW weakening you are talking about?

On Finnair webapages, Q&A section, it still says separate ticket on oneworld flight is OK:

I’m travelling to Malaysia, and the first flight is operated by Finnair. Will my baggage be checked to my final destination, or do I need to check-in again at the transfer airport?

Finnair checks your baggage to your final destination if your journey is on the same ticket or your connecting flight is operated and marketed by Finnair or another oneworld partner. When baggage is not checked through for a connecting flight, it is delivered to the baggage claim area. In this case, please collect your baggage and check it in for your connecting flight.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:13 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by intuition
Kauppias, what is this OW weakening you are talking about?
I believe he is talking about this.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:24 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
OMG. They are really out to make travel less conveinient, for no apparent reason.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
I believe he is talking about this.
Indeed. Its gotten much more attention in the ba and AA forums...

But bad news for those who either have to or choose to buy 2 separate tickets... Now there is NO reason to buy a same alliance conneting flight (well star alliance still through checks) I was hoping AY would JOIN AA in taking the high road but instead it seems like AY took the middle road they atleast through check on AY to AY itinearies while ba wont do even that
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:27 am
Original Poster

OMG. They are really out to make travel less conveinient, for no apparent reason.
Indeed... It has ba's stench all over it they must have been loosing too much money on Ex Eu itinearies?

This makes my life within OW very difficult so I either have to book ALL AA or AY-AY mixes ba gets cut totally now... Or just fly SAS. 😱😱😱😱
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:56 am
Moderator, Finnair

They are either out to collect more overweight/extra baggage fees along the way or they believe this will drive more tickets to be purchased with the main airline alone.
As mentioned in the other thread many times that is just not possible many times.

In my case, I have had som issues even on one ticket so if anything this is likely to make me go with ME3. Why take a 2 connection trip to Australasia on 2 different OW carriers (where they have a lot of opportunities to crap things up) when I can take a 1 connection ME3 flight on one singular airline?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:23 am
Original Poster

They are either out to collect more overweight/extra baggage fees along the way or they believe this will drive more tickets to be purchased with the main airline alone.
As mentioned in the other thread many times that is just not possible many times.

In my case, I have had som issues even on one ticket so if anything this is likely to make me go with ME3. Why take a 2 connection trip to Australasia on 2 different OW carriers (where they have a lot of opportunities to crap things up) when I can take a 1 connection ME3 flight on one singular airline?
I personally beleive this will drive more money AWAY from oneworld then TO them...

Before I obviously booked a oneworld feeder even when significantly more expensive... Now I will choos the cheapest/best miles accumulatibg ticket since I have to hassle with the bag anyways...

What makes me angry is that they do not seem to be honoring rules in effect when booking making this a huge hassle to allready booked trips!
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:25 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Someone found a useful page explaining the situation... link

Protection on flight disruptions on two separate PNR:s has not been great even up to date.

Last edited by TTL; Jun 12, 2016 at 4:30 am
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:54 am
Moderator, Finnair

It looks like a change made in panic - some airlines must have pushed for this for some reason. Perhaps there have been a lot of trouble with interlined luggage out of control when the flight on ticket no2 is mis-connect.

Anyway, what it will do is drive even more bags into the cabin instead of checkin. That situation is already out of control on some airlines who have pushed the light fares too far (BA).
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
Anyway, what it will do is drive even more bags into the cabin instead of checkin. That situation is already out of control on some airlines who have pushed the light fares too far (BA).
Exactly. People will now have to try and cram everything into a cabin bag, which will result in overcrowding in the overhead lockers.
I for one have a two hour connection in BKK on separate tickets coming up, and will have no choice now with this new policy. I will now use *A for future bookings.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:45 am
odo

I have a 2 PNR trip coming up where I have SFO-LHR-HEL (BA+AY) and HEL-OUL (AY) on separate PNRs. 1 hour connection at HEL so not even slightest chance to get bags out and re-check them. Things can get interesting...
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
This change really sucks for me too. Finnair's pricing To/from Taiwan is stupid so now will have to get bags both ways in Hong Kong (though in HKG i've been able to have transit desk re-tag bags without going thru immigration.

as for why, I do believe at least one point is this making it easier to build automated baggage check in systems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.