Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Official policy as it was published in 2017. My bolding to direct readers to the most commonly asked part. Do note wording 'allow'.

THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Finnair takes care of passenger’s through check-in in all cases where the passenger has an agreement of carriage with Finnair and the through check-in is technically possible and is according to local instructions. This agreement of carriage requires that the passenger holds a Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check, or an electronic ticket, as defined in the Conditions of Carriage and issued by Finnair or on its behalf.
Passenger’s flight reservation (PNR) and flight ticket (single agreement with specific airline) are not always the same thing. Each ticket with different ticket number is an independent agreement of carriage with the ticketed air carrier. It is not possible to through check either passenger or baggage between separate flight tickets even if they are in the same PNR. Check-in is possible only to the final destination on each individual agreement of carriage (= flight ticket).
It’s important to remember that MCT (Minimum Connection Time) at each airport is based on the assumption that flights are booked on the same ticket and this way passenger and baggage may be through checked to the final destination. In case flights are on separate tickets, passenger has to collect baggage and recheck on the connecting flight at the transfer station thus MCT is no longer valid. Passenger shall be informed already at the time of reservation that check-in can be done only as far as Finnair has a contract of carriage with the passenger.

FINNAIR THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Passenger and baggage shall be through checked to the final destination as indicated by the flight ticket, provided it constitutes one single agreement of carriage with Finnair. Finnair will provide through check-in for a journey ticketed in a single PNR; this includes segments ticketed separately but booked in the same PNR (and/or referenced in a single PNR during the time of booking).

In addition to the basic rule Finnair will allow through check-in of customer and baggage with separate tickets on separate PNRs on AY–AY (including AY franchising flights operated by Norra) connections when the transfer is within the Minimum Connection Time (MCT). For AY–AY connection flights on the separate PNRs have to be both marketed and operated by Finnair or Norra and flights ticketed on the 105-stock. The agent shall always inform the customer of the destination where the customer and his or her baggage are checked-in to.
Print Wikipost

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Rivarix
Is it possible this is driven by EC 261? I read last week EC clarifies that for a connecting flight, a compensation must be given if you miss the second flight due to late arrival of the first flight.

Say you fly LAX-LHR-HEL on two separate PNRs (AA/AY) and your flight is late by 3 hr.
1) If they check you through and say you miss your LHR-HEL connection (say it's the last flight of the day) then you're entitled to compensation, correct?
2) If they don't check you through, i believe you're not entitled for compensation on the first flight since it is less than 4 hr while for the second flight, it's your own fault since you didn't arrive at the gate on time.

On a single PNR presumably airlines have an agreement as to how to split the compensation cost. On two separate PNRs with two different OW airlines, who's at fault - AA for being late (but not 'late' within EC261 definition) or AY for offloading the passenger who didn't show up? The passenger presumably doesn't care who's at fault. From the airlines' perspective it does matter since two separate PNRs means each airline keeps the revenue themselves ...

As of now AA will still check you through on separate PNRs only because DL does. As long as DL does, so will AA ...

I dont think EU 261 would apply if on 2 separate bookings if you were late to final destination of Ticket number 1 by less then the EU261 limit even if you missed onward connection of ticket two.... But someone wiser could correct me if Im wrong...

But in AYs case its not like they pay out EU261 claims anyway
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
@kauppias - You are correct. There is no EU compensation as it would be two PNRs - has nothing to do with what happens to the baggage.

However there may have been some kind of issue regarding which airline pays for late/lost luggage when it was separate PNRs.

Overall a horrible policy change that will move a lot of my business to Star Alliance or CX (just because HK is my main intercontinental destination).

My main issue is often with customs at transit points. Setting aside the obvious issue of not open check-in desks at certain connection points where OW is not a big carrier - and I really do not enjoy sitting around for 5 hrs landside with luggage that cannot be dropped off.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Talking

Originally Posted by skba1
@kauppias - You are correct. There is no EU compensation as it would be two PNRs - has nothing to do with what happens to the baggage.

However there may have been some kind of issue regarding which airline pays for late/lost luggage when it was separate PNRs.

Overall a horrible policy change that will move a lot of my business to Star Alliance or CX (just because HK is my main intercontinental destination).

My main issue is often with customs at transit points. Setting aside the obvious issue of not open check-in desks at certain connection points where OW is not a big carrier - and I really do not enjoy sitting around for 5 hrs landside with luggage that cannot be dropped off.

Indeed...

Of the changes of late none have been good

I will have to see how things develop...

SK has some intresting options now but it is hard to just leave OW but hopefully OW options will become better soon so far this is the earliest I have requalified for OWE and OWS this year and star gold in the bag for 2 years so I am in a fairly stressless situation for once 😂😂😂
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:43 am
odo

Originally Posted by djsflynn
Update: AY confirms it will adopt Oneworld's new "one PNR good, two PNRs bad" system for through-checked luggage and in-advance boarding passes for connecting flights.

Details: Oneworld airlines revise baggage policy for connecting flights
With some recent Twitter conversations the message mostly seems still to be that AY -> AY on separate PNRs would be ok, but others not.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by odo
With some recent Twitter conversations the message mostly seems still to be that AY -> AY on separate PNRs would be ok, but others not.
This is what the AY check in staff are saying as well.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well, I don't have much hope since even AY->AY on one ticket is problematic on some cases. Checking in bags in Australasia, where first segment is AY codeshare on QF or similar means bags are only checked to HEL. They simply can't make bags go to final destination and most of the tie can't make boarding passes either.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by kauppias
Of the changes of late none have been good

I will have to see how things develop...

SK has some intresting options now but it is hard to just leave OW but hopefully OW options will become better soon so far this is the earliest I have requalified for OWE and OWS this year and star gold in the bag for 2 years so I am in a fairly stressless situation for once 😂😂😂
The latest Finnair Plus changes were pretty much overall decent.

But yeah this OW thing is completely ridiculous and for baggage it makes them the worst alliance (having gone from the best).

I have at least one top status in each alliance, so status is no issue for me in any case. I can choose whichever carrier that suits my needs - but I prefer OW on longhaul for prices, products and IRROPS handling.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skba1
The latest Finnair Plus changes were pretty much overall decent.

But yeah this OW thing is completely ridiculous and for baggage it makes them the worst alliance (having gone from the best).

I have at least one top status in each alliance, so status is no issue for me in any case. I can choose whichever carrier that suits my needs - but I prefer OW on longhaul for prices, products and IRROPS handling.
Indeed they did...

Luggage is a huge perk for me

Right now fast track security at HEL is better for me with Star alliance then OW as only AY coded flights get Fast track as OWE. I too hold status in All alliances as well as some non alliance cards, some alliances I am double or triple carded 😂😀

This is a ever changing game one has to keep a close eye on it
Old Jun 19, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by intuition
Well, I don't have much hope since even AY->AY on one ticket is problematic on some cases. Checking in bags in Australasia, where first segment is AY codeshare on QF or similar means bags are only checked to HEL. They simply can't make bags go to final destination and most of the tie can't make boarding passes either.
There has been quite a bit discussion on how a creative TA can merge more than one TICKET onto a (sometimes pre-existing) PNR.

As well I wonder how multiple legs on the One World Explorer tickets will be handled since that is on a single PNR.

Interesting times.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jun 19, 2016, 3:18 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
My point in the OP was that not even a Finnair sold ticket, on one PNR and one single e-ticket where there is a finnair codeshare ex-Australasia can be through-checked. If this is a fail of Finnair or a fail of OW staff or systems in MEL/SYD/AKL I don't know. But I know they sometimes refer me to HKG transfer desk to sort it out, since they simple cannot make it work.

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
There has been quite a bit discussion on how a creative TA can merge more than one TICKET onto a (sometimes pre-existing) PNR...
Well, they can but Finnair did state in their (now probably defunct) through check-in policy:
Originally Posted by Finnair through check-in policy
Passenger’s flight reservation (PNR) and flight ticket (single agreement with specific airline) are not always the same thing. Each ticket with different ticket number is an independent agreement of carriage with the ticketed air carrier. It is not possible to through check either passenger or baggage between separate flight tickets even if they are in the same PNR. Check-in is possible only to the final destination on each individual agreement of carriage (= flight ticket).

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
As well I wonder how multiple legs on the One World Explorer tickets will be handled since that is on a single PNR.
If they are on one ticket number they should work. But how about the single continent fares and the Yokoso Japan fare and the... I.e. all of the oneWorld fares that requires a oneWorld flight to be ticketed before they can be booked. None of these ticket will ever be on one ticket number.
As far as the published texts goes, these products will no longer be through-checked. Utter fail.

Last edited by intuition; Jun 19, 2016 at 3:24 am
Old Jun 19, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by intuition
If they are on one ticket number they should work. But how about the single continent fares and the Yokoso Japan fare and the... I.e. all of the oneWorld fares that requires a oneWorld flight to be ticketed before they can be booked. None of these ticket will ever be on one ticket number.
As far as the published texts goes, these products will no longer be through-checked. Utter fail.
Also all journeys including more than 4 sectors, as well as open jaw tickets with one connection each way are written on 2 tickets, though all in one PNR. Just wonder if this new rule affect on those as well!
Old Jun 19, 2016, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
Also all journeys including more than 4 sectors, as well as open jaw tickets with one connection each way are written on 2 tickets, though all in one PNR. Just wonder if this new rule affect on those as well!
No, several tickets issued jointly under the same PNR ("conjunction tickets") are, for most intent and purposes including this one, pretty much equivalent to a single ticket.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Tried today, AY wouldn't interline to anyone else, only AY AY they say is allowed.
Absolutely ridiculous crap, as I had a 12 hour layover and quite a bit of luggage. So for absolutely no practical reason I had to haul my stuff around Oslo for a day.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
The other day I had 2 PNRs with 1 hour connection and I went to check-in desk just to test reaction. I asked them if they can somehow connect the tickets in order to know that I am arriving and taking a second flight just in case of IRROPS. THe check-in agent told me that it is good to do that in case something happens, then IRR team is better prepared. I asked what that would mean, but he could not tell...oh well...
Finally, I made the connection with no stress...
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:36 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
So is it clear that same plane turnarounds with separate tickets (AY-AY) can be done without any additional hassle? Travelling with checked bags.

Looking for some flights to Asia and HEL-ARN-HEL-Asia could be our choice if separate PNRs won´t add any unnecessary stress.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.