Wiki Posts
Search

Booze me up

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold
Booze me up

I'm mostly fly long haul between Europe and Asia, usually the HEL-NRT route Y class. The Finnair inflight service is getting better and better. I'm getting the feeling that Finnair is trying to get to the same level as JAL.

On my latest flight HEL-NRT I noticed increased offers on complementary alcohol in Y. After dinner the flight attendants went through the cabin with white and red wine (don't recall seeing this before). When coffee was served, I noticed that they had complementary Baileys as well. (I happen to love Baileys in my coffee).

When I flew the same route a few weeks earlier, I did not notice this. Is this a new development? Both the website and the menu in the pocket in front of you says that drinks other than beer and whine costs. Actually, the front seat pocket menu even says that a Karhu costs a few euro.

This is not consistent and I'm curious what the actual policy is here. Flying sober is boring, and one of the reasons I started flying with Finnair again instead of JAL on the HEL-NRT route is because they reinstated free drinks.

Two-three years ago when fuel prices were higher and Finnair was bleeding money, the service was really bad. No free drinks and the flight attendants refused to give me a beer unless I got up from my seat and went to the back of the plane to get it.

I hope that this extended complementary drink policy stays. Most customers on the HEL-NRT route are Japanese anyway, so their consumption is low. I like flying with airlines that are trying to give customers a good experience (as opposed to trying to nickle and dime customers at any turn).
Old May 26, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, EBG
Originally Posted by MagmaH
I'm mostly fly long haul between Europe and Asia, usually the HEL-NRT route Y class. The Finnair inflight service is getting better and better. I'm getting the feeling that Finnair is trying to get to the same level as JAL.

On my latest flight HEL-NRT I noticed increased offers on complementary alcohol in Y. After dinner the flight attendants went through the cabin with white and red wine (don't recall seeing this before). When coffee was served, I noticed that they had complementary Baileys as well. (I happen to love Baileys in my coffee).

When I flew the same route a few weeks earlier, I did not notice this. Is this a new development? Both the website and the menu in the pocket in front of you says that drinks other than beer and whine costs. Actually, the front seat pocket menu even says that a Karhu costs a few euro.

This is not consistent and I'm curious what the actual policy is here. Flying sober is boring, and one of the reasons I started flying with Finnair again instead of JAL on the HEL-NRT route is because they reinstated free drinks.

Two-three years ago when fuel prices were higher and Finnair was bleeding money, the service was really bad. No free drinks and the flight attendants refused to give me a beer unless I got up from my seat and went to the back of the plane to get it.

I hope that this extended complementary drink policy stays. Most customers on the HEL-NRT route are Japanese anyway, so their consumption is low. I like flying with airlines that are trying to give customers a good experience (as opposed to trying to nickle and dime customers at any turn).
Old May 26, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, EBG
I totally agree with you, I would also whine without free wine.
Malaysian has stopped serving alcohole on flights under 3 hours (even in business) and many customers are really upset.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.