Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair User Experience sessions stuff [separated from Meeting with AY+ Loyalty]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: haa
=+=+=+=+=+= Members who announced interest in UX session +=+=+=+=+=+

skba1
OH-LGG
FFlash
Purjelentaja
ffay005
Cistavoda
Aviating
heatsink
theBro
intuition
lauriii
Jainzar
UpperDeck87K
NoWindowSeat
haa
Print Wikipost

Finnair User Experience sessions stuff [separated from Meeting with AY+ Loyalty]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Just opening the finnair.fi site, my browser blocks the following

Disconnect plugin blocks

- 3 google social elements
- 1 facebook social element
- 2 advertising elements (zanox, nugg.ad)
- 2 analyzing elements (inspectlet)
- 5 content elements (microsoft, wingify)

Ad block plus blocks
- 2 amazonaws javascripts
- 1 bat.bing.com javascript
- frc.hero element on finnair.com

Small wonder the site normally takes ages to load
Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:48 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Add a filter for
finnair.com/go/*/Images/giosg/*
to remove the annoying animation that tells you their chat is currently closed..
Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:46 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Please give us a better award booking engine!

When we were at HOTT, I think they asked what could be done to improve award search. If someone from AY is still listening, I'd like to post an example from ANA.

It is an award calendar where you just select a zone and a class of service and they will in a second list ALL scheduled ANA flights within the next 180 days with an availability marker. Here I have found a red 'maru' on the SIN-NRT in economy on AUG 25.

Checking other fare classes or dates is just a flip of a switch. It displays almost instantaneously.
Each screen shows availability on all flights over 2 months. This can't naturally not be displayed on the screen at the same time, but you can scroll sideways for any date in the period. ALL data is loaded in the screen, there is no extra detour to the database when scrolling.

Clicking on a 'maru' marker sets the date for your desired flight, and available returns are marked with yellow. Clicking on your return date pre-loads this data into the regular award booking engine. This step is needed because the calendar is batch-loaded every night. But they have made it extremely simple. So if availability still is there, you can book it with a few clicks. And you won't spend a lot of time searching on dates/destination that simply has no seats.

This seems ideal to me.

I realize that Finnair has some other challenges. ANA is more a point-to-point airline, and a Finnair calendar would need to feature a lot of shorthaul connecting flights, ie the result-set is larger. The ANA tool does however cope with some connections - not all destinations listed in the tool are direct flights, some of them are ANA-ANA connections.

Also, Finnair has far fewer longhaul destinations than ANA, so the Zone-selector could instead be a departure selector, say one for each country.

Also, the speed. ANA site is not blazingly fast but this tool could find me that SIN flight award a lot quicker than Finnair can return the bl00dy override.action...
Attached Images  
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Silver, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold, Club Carlson Silver
I just keep on wondering why Finnair does not fix the override-problem. It has been there so long time and people cannot change the seats without calling to Platinum desk. I could not imagine that my company would let that kind of "errors" to be alive that long.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Rikiz81
I just keep on wondering why Finnair does not fix the override-problem. It has been there so long time and people cannot change the seats without calling to Platinum desk. I could not imagine that my company would let that kind of "errors" to be alive that long.
Well, be patient: the symptoms will disappear when the online check-in opens @:-)
Witnessed the issue yesterday when a friend of mine tried to change his seat with no success. Advised him to call AY, but he just gave up and changed the seat online this morning. Problem solved!

Seriously: this is apparently quite widespread problem since when I called them ~2 weeks ago the lady just said: "Right, I know the problem, please hold on a minute". She murmured about the issue being out of AY's control or something....go and figure out.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 3:09 pm

Next one to call AY with this matter could try to fish out some more information about this nuisance.

Or even better, is FinnairPlusRep alive and monitoring (knock, knock...)
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:13 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Still the same issue with Override.action. A variant of the issue is the webpage endlessly looping on the RequestAdditionalInformation.action

Insane.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:28 am

I just made some seat reservations via e-mail, mentioning the problem. Their comment to the issue was "Vika on tosiaan tiedossamme ja sitä yritetään kyllä kovasti korjata" – I like the formulation ("Indeed, we are aware of the bug and they are trying hard to fix it") but based on it wouldn't hold my breath for a quick fix...
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by jmmi
I just made some seat reservations via e-mail, mentioning the problem. Their comment to the issue was "Vika on tosiaan tiedossamme ja sitä yritetään kyllä kovasti korjata" – I like the formulation ("Indeed, we are aware of the bug and they are trying hard to fix it") but based on it wouldn't hold my breath for a quick fix...
So, sounds like the issue is not on AY webpage itself but on an underlying system or mechanism.
It would never take 3+ weeks to fix an issue on a webpage unless it is dependent on an external application or data source in some way.
Amadeus?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
So, sounds like the issue is not on AY webpage itself but on an underlying system or mechanism.
It would never take 3+ weeks to fix an issue on a webpage unless it is dependent on an external application or data source in some way.
Amadeus?
Definitely not Amadeus. Amadeus has got nothing to do with the Override.actions, which is just poor web back-end.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
Definitely not Amadeus. Amadeus has got nothing to do with the Override.actions, which is just poor web back-end.
Fair enough, and makes AY development teams even more quilty to suddenly introduce a defect and not finding a solution in 3 weeks.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:42 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

But the code used seems to be shared with many airlines. Take a look at the resource path

..../pl/AIRLINE_NAME/wds/override.action

used everywhere (flysas, lufthansa, saudiair...). I assume WDS is a Webb-version of GDS?

But even if it is shared code it seems only AY web servers present it to browsers as a downloadble file.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Hmm... You're right. Might be Amadeus, not the reservation system itself, but more like an API or something of Amadeus.

I would be intrigued to hear more about how the GDS actually works with a website.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by intuition
But even if it is shared code it seems only AY web servers present it to browsers as a downloadble file.
Maybe AY's servers f* up with the MIME type?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Today I received an email in which my status was shown as Gold rather than Platinum. Within three and a half hours, I received another email apologizing for the error.

I feel that this was a remarkably quick reaction given that it was a rather unimportant newsletter. I hadn't even noticed. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.