Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Meeting with AY+ Loyalty Team 18APR2016 @5pm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
List of participants in order of declaration. Event limited to 10 participants, list filled by members until post #98 in the original thread. Feel free to add yourself to the list as a reserve. Please strike (using [strike tag) your name if you cannot participate.

Guest list:

1. wkndtraveler
2. ffay005
3. OH-LGG
4. intuition
5. Unsub
6. SPBanker
7. lauriii
8. Purjelentaja
9. heatsink
10. Courmish
11. cistavoda
12. Aviating
13. FFlash (what a coincidence the number...)
14. skba1 (reading back through the thread I saw skba1 throwing his name in the ring, but didn't add it here /intuition)
15. WilcoRoger
============ Limit 15 ====

=+=+=+=+=+= Members who announced interest in UX session +=+=+=+=+=+

This list has moved to its new home, in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1761182-finnair-user-experience-sessions-stuff-spearated-meeting-ay-loyalty.html
Print Wikipost

Meeting with AY+ Loyalty Team 18APR2016 @5pm

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Courmisch
I'm sensing a lot of highly motivated participants in the waiting list, and monday evening is not so convenient for my work. So I think I'll yield if there are other only/mostly Y fliers participating?
I, for one, as a fellow purely Y-flyer would appreciate if participants are not only from business
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
While I try to do my longhaul flying in J, and fortunately succeed pretty nicely, my Euro-flights are almost exclusively in Y.

While we can and should expect more when flying J, it doesn't mean we should overlook Y. Feedback regarding Y is important, too.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Euro-J meal service. Somehow the European J-meals have deteriorated over the years and now mostly resemble a Y meal from 20 years ago. Euro-J ticket prices are, however, extremely high. You simply cannot present a Riitan Herkku berry fool in a throw-away plastic cup as a J dessert. The cheapiness of it is just embarrassing.

So if there's going to be a Euro-J product, then the meal has to be a (one-tray) three-course meal on real china. I am fine with the homely fare as such, but it shouldn't be called "korkealaatuinen ateriakokonaisuus". Why not engage the marketing people and tell passengers that in European J, you will get a tasty Finnish home style cooking meal, such as grav lax, meatballs&mash and apple pie or whatever, and present this on real china, no throw-away plastic cups.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by intuition
However, Value intra-eu already has a 50€ change fee, so what you are asking is to be relieved of fare difference? To me this looks like a very strong incentive to book the cheaper flight and chance it at the airport.
Meh, would I really pay a fare difference of €124 (for example) plus a €50 change fee? Say I get to go with a 4pm insteaf of 7pm departure?

Most people on normal salaries in normal companies could not justify spending €60 per hour saved - at least not compared to working in the lounge (or in the cafe). If you are on very high salaries you are probably travelling full flex by company agreement or by ticket type anyway?

P.S. Thanks for adding me to the list - didn't realise it was self-adding that was applied...

The last time I was offered this kind of change fee I declined as I had to pay about €200 for a 2.5hr earlier departure on a domestic in Finland just to get the time in the office instead of in a cafe/lounge; not by any chance of imagination worth it...
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
There are very few Finnair destinations where standby would even make any sort of sense. Most S/H destinations have only two departures per day, and even on busier routes, there is seldom less than 3 hours between any two Finnair flights. Basically, OUL, ARN on weekdays, LHR and CDG daily.

I can see why Finnair wouldn't bother setting that up.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005
Euro-J meal service. Somehow the European J-meals have deteriorated over the years and now mostly resemble a Y meal from 20 years ago. Euro-J ticket prices are, however, extremely high. You simply cannot present a Riitan Herkku berry fool in a throw-away plastic cup as a J dessert.
...Why not engage the marketing people and tell passengers that in European J, you will get a tasty Finnish home style cooking meal, such as grav lax, meatballs&mash and apple pie or whatever, and present this on real china, no throw-away plastic cups.
Recently, I have made quite a many short-haul J class trips by KLM, BA, LH etc. AY is not my favourite. Do you remember when the breakfast tray included an Arabia Origo bowl with fruit salad. The creepy noice caused by every one opening the avarage pineapple-melon salad is scary. Look at the style offered by other companies. Does anyone remember the lovely Service chefs working in Business class (or was it Executive class). On the other hand the mixed-field BA staff are quite nice, somewhat unexperienced but very friendly. It might be that Service-chefs were toi expensive, but anyhow the BA experience shows that it is possible to train all the staff to deliver a good service (AY has quite good staff but the training is lacking). Sometimes it is akward when the BA Cabin service manager comes to the back of the Y Cabin addressing welcoming only you.

A choice of the maun course is standard in Business class in Europe with the only exception Finnair. InY class the lasten months of free food InY were great because they asked which of the two sandwich one would like to have.

Does anyone remember Y class Service earlier. Wine please. Red or white. Red please. Spanish or French. Even in Business class they only have one Red and one white Wine.

Why not offer both cheese and dessert like the competitors.

How much would it cost to reintroduce a chocolate service to everyone just before landing. Nothing.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by nordic
How much would it cost to reintroduce a chocolate service to everyone just before landing. Nothing.
Let's use a conservative average that 30% of passengers would eat chocolate.

In October 2015, Finnair had 933000 passengers. That is 279900 chocolates handed out.

A wholesale box (3kg) of Fazer Blue contains approx. 400 chocolate mints. The average wholesale price for this box is 45-49EUR VAT0%.

So, in October 2015, Finnair would've gone through 700 boxes of chocolate. That's 31500EUR (vat0%). Per annum, that is almost 400'000EUR. In Chocolate.

I don't know about your income, but that is hardly "nothing" to me.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:19 pm
Company Representative, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Finnair Plus
Language

Thanks for all the topic suggestions so far!
About the language- I saw that popping us somewhere. We can definitely keep it in English, there is absolutely no problem there.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by reflektia
I, for one, as a fellow purely Y-flyer would appreciate if participants are not only from business
Originally Posted by ffay005
Feedback regarding Y is important, too.
I'm 100% Y-flyer and a Plat, so I'll try to make sure our voice is heard. Ironically landing from SIN the same day, with an upgrade to J
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by dera
A wholesale box (3kg) of Fazer Blue contains approx. 400 chocolate mints. The average wholesale price for this box is 45-49EUR VAT0%.

So, in October 2015, Finnair would've gone through 700 boxes of chocolate. That's 31500EUR (vat0%). Per annum, that is almost 400'000EUR. In Chocolate.
I'd be mightily surprised if a buyer buying 8-10.000 boxes of chocolate would pay full wholesale prices.

Sure, everything costs something and the beancounters are happy to point this out. What they don't /can't point out is the amount of lost revenue/profit for each € of "savings"
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
A small question - not directly related to this meeting but nevertheless...

A few months ago I was booking a flight on the website - however while chasing hotels my session timed out and I was now within the 4 hour sale rule so the ticket could not be booked online. Therefore I had to call up and book it, and was charged the phone booking fee which was not possible to get rid of.

Is it standard practice for Finnair to charge booking fee for bookings not available by other means?

I find it very annoying to be charged phone booking fees by airlines when I am making bookings that are NOT POSSIBLE to do online. If that is a mix of cabin classes, specific booking classes, routings allowed in fare rules but not supported by the website etc. SK tends to waive the fee (their website is extremely useless for advanced bookings) and several other airlines as well like AA.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I'd be mightily surprised if a buyer buying 8-10.000 boxes of chocolate would pay full wholesale prices.

Sure, everything costs something and the beancounters are happy to point this out. What they don't /can't point out is the amount of lost revenue/profit for each € of "savings"
Obviously - but even with 50% discount, that is still 200'000EUR/year. I'm sure no-one thinks they will lose 200k of sales p.a because of a chocolate mint.
These are the cutbacks I fully agree with. Couldn't care less about a chocolate. Spend that money with something more important. I doubt many even noticed the lack of choccies.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by dera
I don't know about your income, but that is hardly "nothing" to me.
True, but I could not afford to buy 20 wide-body jets either or even thousands of litres of blueberry juice or pay the costs for free luggage for most passengers. Maybe blueberry juice is the same thing as the chocolate hearts that appear in every trip report of Airberlin or Swiss branded chocolate. It hasn't always to be chocolate. I have a feeling that the Fazer berry chocolates which were offered in Business class were heavily sponsored by Fazer in order to promote sales. Maybe most of the passengers did not notice the removal of the chocolats but they noticed that they were offered. Why would Lufthansa have Warsteiner themed napkins if they would pay full price for the heavy glass bottles. I think the chocolate left a nice feeling of the flight for many passengers but ofcourse it is the whole experience that counts. Toys for children were removed because of the full costs. On the hand I know many people who prefer Finnair because of the great experience they had as a child. Maybe Finnair was right (or wrong) when they calculated that these experiences wouldn't add sales in the long run.

I admit that this is quite OT. However, people are not objective. ME3 are considered to be the best airlines even though it is not glamorous to sit in the back of the plane where one more seat has been added in each row.

Last edited by nordic; Mar 18, 2016 at 2:31 pm
Old Mar 19, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Status match (other OWE to AY Plat) would be a smart move.Match period 04-06/2016 and status until 02/2018. Am I dreaming?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Status match (other OWE to AY Plat) would be a smart move.Match period 04-06/2016 and status until 02/2018. Am I dreaming?
Yes you are dreaming

ay seems to ONLY do status fast tracks to SILVER

I once tried to get a gold/plat challenge amd was willing tp book AY tickets to do so but they offered me silver with TWO PAID J LH tickets that was a joke as that would do the trick anyway

I doubt ay would do straight matches BUT there are ALOT of STAR Silvers and Golds in Finland that AY could do well to offer a challenge to like AA does...

Could be smart business and a challenge costs no money for ay but can potentially bring in alot of business

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.