Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Reduced Business Class Service on certain longhauls

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Purjelentaja
Finnair offers only limited catering on some of their longhaul flights.

"BusinessLight" or "Midnight Menu" or limited catering means that the main meal consists of one tray only and no appetizer. Typically, the service includes a small green salad, a hot main course and cheeses. Additionally, ice cream will be offered along with coffee and tea.

This service concept applies to the following flights: (PLEASE ADD MORE FLIGHTS TO THE LIST!)
AY6 JFK-HEL (Note: hot midflight snack available on request; only cold breakfast available)
AY8 MIA-HEL
AY10 ORD-HEL
AY27 HEL-SGN
AY28 SGN-HEL
AY69 HEL-HKG (not actual BusinessLight, but Midnight menu-concept)
AY81 HEL-SIN (not actual BusinessLight, but Midnight menu-concept)
AY82 SIN-HEL (not actual BusinessLight, but Midnight menu-concept)
AY121 HEL-DEL

On other AY longhaul flights, the main meal service is more substantial and consists of an appetizer and/or soup, main meal, cheese and dessert.
Print Wikipost

Reduced Business Class Service on certain longhauls

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by valolla
How the get the message to Finnair? Others can try, I've used my ways.

I'm betting on that the company will be bought out in 2-4 years.
How - with your wallet.

Don't put your hopes too high on a buyout - even if it were to happen (very big IF), a very strong candidate would be IAG. Just go and see BA's premium product and its long descent
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heatsink
IMHO this is a Finnish problem in general, but it's more subtle than that. It's related to the idea that we love rules, which in itself is also not the entire truth.

It's not that we love rules, it's that we don't understand why they exist. It's more like a cargo cult than blind obedience.

The way I look at rules is that they are a way of setting up a framework for dealing with large groups of people. I.e. a tool. But I am constantly amazed at work by how many people seem to see them as some kind of contract. The concept that rules should be changed the moment they stop working for you seems foreign to most people here. "But, but... we agreed on these together!"

Remarkably, this doesn't even mean that there's all that much resistance to change. As long as I'm the one pushing for change, I haven't found it impossible to make things happen. But like 90% of the people are so damn passive.

Same thing with comparing yourself to others. If I want to benchmark my organization (like for example AY might do with SQ), the question I'll be asking is "have they come up with something I haven't?". But the way people talk here they seem to be asking the question "what can we copy from them since they're an authority on the topic and we aren't" (BUT WHY DON'T YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF ONE???).

I repeat, there's only a subtle difference, but it leads to stupid results. I'm not in the airline industry, though.
You are going down a slippery slope here In my original home country rules are generally considered as "something in place for other people but of course I know better/a shortcut"

And AY benchmarking? I don't know if they are doing it (hopefully yes) but at our DO with the AY people it did come up that they ALWAYS fly AY. Mr P.V might venture on other airlines, but he's always getting the VIP treatment, so...
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
You are going down a slippery slope here In my original home country rules are generally considered as "something in place for other people but of course I know better/a shortcut"
Well yeah, but I specifically meant that rules can be updated rather than broken at will. Like for example how Finnair has those breakfast forms they want you to fill in, but in reality the cabin crew just ask you. I wouldn't have let that procedure continue for more than a month, and to hell with whatever agreement lead to it.

As for the benchmarking thing, I was talking about the mentality rather than any specific need for benchmarking. You need to be able to recognize a good idea when you see one instead of just copying something that someone else is doing. And at that point you'll already have come up with a lot of improvements on your own. It's way too often I encounter thinking along the line of "we'll see what the experts do first" even though the others aren't necessarily any smarter, they're just proactive.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This takes us far from the business-light concept, but, yeah, I know what you're talking about...
Old Nov 25, 2016, 6:38 am

You're right, I went off on a tangent after Valolla mentioned reacting to customer feedback. Sorry
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:05 am
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
Originally Posted by intuition
For an airline branding itself as "designed for you" Finnair is surprisingly deaf when it comes to listen to customer's individual needs.
I think that in Finnish style "designed for you" means "designed for you all", i.e. the designer knows best for everyone and you should be happy to be able to enjoy the "high class design".

Be happy it is not designed by someone "famous", then it would be impossible to change or improve on anything. Imagine if we had "business class designed by Alvar Aalto" — in the 1960s — protected as a historical monument not to be changed in any way.

Maybe the J "enhancements" are intended to bring J into line with Y, so that no-one is "more equal" than others? Everybody can't be in J, so everybody must be in Y?
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
"Finnair – Designed for Y'all"

I like it!
Old Nov 27, 2016, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by haa
Maybe the J "enhancements" are intended to bring J into line with Y, so that no-one is "more equal" than others? Everybody can't be in J, so everybody must be in Y?
Humour aside, I actually think there might be some truth in this. Perhaps not intentionally, but subconsciusly at least, in the way of completely failing to understand of the needs and wishes of premium customers. "We're giving them so much more in J, like a better seat and a meal on real china, and all they do is complain that this huge seat is cramped or that there's no place for their laptop – well, where are they gonna put their laptop on Y? They should be happy and keep their mouths shut."

It's as if AY thinks that J is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for average Jorma, so no need to make it any better. They'll feel special anyway, and they aren't gonna fork out the cash for it again.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 10:49 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by lkrt
"Finnair – Designed for Y'all"

I like it!
You beat me to it. Funny, and true.

As funny as when Finnair managers starting to backpeddle on the "boutique airline" branding when they realised they couldn't really deliver that. "Oh, we are an boutique-sized airline"!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by loimu
Just back from a HEL-KBV-HEL BusinessLight experience.
Was it a package deal (aurinkomatkat) or seperate bought ticket?
What points were accredited?

thanks
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AY Gold, QR Plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
How - with your wallet.

Don't put your hopes too high on a buyout - even if it were to happen (very big IF), a very strong candidate would be IAG. Just go and see BA's premium product and its long descent
Depends how you see it?

- Maybe the companies shares go up! I have a small amount.
- Maybe this could make and real wake up in the management or
changes of faces, not likely.

Yes, I'm spending the euros now mostly elsewhere.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by casper79
Was it a package deal (aurinkomatkat) or seperate bought ticket?
What points were accredited?
It was a normal ticket bought from AY and I got the standard C class points for the flights.

I know Aurinkomatkat sold the same flight as a part of their holiday package, including the flights in business class as an extra feature for an extra fee. However, I'm not sure how the points work in that case as the flight had normal scheduled flight's number so it wasn't a "holiday flight". Perhaps you could even get the award points (1 EUR = 1 point) as well as the normal points for the flights..?

Last edited by loimu; Dec 3, 2016 at 1:08 am
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:15 am

I got 200% on Aurinkomatkat last year. In a few months I'll be able to tell you if that's still the case. (If not, I'll have to stop considering them an option)
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by loimu
It was a normal ticket bought from AY and I got the standard C class points for the flights.

I know Aurinkomatkat sold the same flight as a part of their holiday package, including the flights in business class as an extra feature for an extra fee. However, I'm not sure how the points work in that case as the flight had normal scheduled flight's number so it wasn't a "holiday flight". Perhaps you could even get the award points (1 EUR = 1 point) as well as the normal points for the flights..?
IME you get points for the purchase, points for paying with co-branded Diners card, points from the scheduled flight but no extra points from the upgrade. Edit: strange, it seems I did get 100% extra points. Could it have been the upgrade?

Last edited by tsastor; Dec 3, 2016 at 10:03 am
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:31 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Flew MIA-HEL recently. The flight turned out to be one of these so called light products. I expected that since the departure time is 10:55pm and in this case closer to midnight because of delay. Neither nuts, amuse bouche nor aperitif were served prior to dinner. When the dinner tray finally, more than an hour to the flight, arrived to the row 9 where I was seated I was so tired that I almost declined. On the other hand, I was so hungry that I forced myself to eat something. On the very messy tray, there were small salad and main course (from three options), plus bread for those who wanted. Menus weren't given since they had wrong menus onboard, we were told by the crew. The steak was surprisingly tasty. I didn't take any dessert but options would have been cheese, chocolate and ice cream. 1,5 hours prior to landing (afternoon local time), I received a breakfast tray that included salmon bagel, fruits and yoghurt. I slept most of the flight. My partner told me the snack bar included noodles, sandwiches, fruits, nuts, chips, and chocolate. (On the way to MIA, it was normal business class product but the snack bar was way more limited.)
Attached Images   

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.