Wiki Posts
Search

Going to miss connection at HEL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Silver Elite
Going to miss connection at HEL

My elderly mother is flying LHR-BKK connecting onto AY89 at HEL. Unfortunately, they've only just taken off after a 2 1/2,hour delay at LHR. Now due in to HEL at 1717 after her original flight takes off. Will Finnair proactively move passengers on AY95 to the earlier flight or does AY95 have space. There are at least two of them in this flight connecting and they're flying in business.

Is there anyone who can shed some light on this situation?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:10 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
First advice, unless told otherwise, would be to hurry to departure gate (32). They might delay to accommodate delayed incoming pax.

Second advice would be to hurry to transfer desk. If they do decide to leave pax behind, she will need to get new arrangements there. IME they are not acting proactive.

-- Added
According to expertflyer there are seats available on AY95 - then they probably will rebook to that

Last edited by intuition; Feb 9, 2016 at 6:17 am
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
First advice, unless told otherwise, would be to hurry to departure gate (32). They might delay to accommodate delayed incoming pax.

Second advice would be to hurry to transfer desk. If they do decide to leave pax behind, she will need to get new arrangements there. IME they are not acting proactive.

-- Added
According to expertflyer there are seats available on AY95
Many thanks, we are in BKK waiting for her. I'm not sure how fast a 70 year old can run. Hopefully they can sort something out!!!!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Last summer it was clear on arrival that the connection flight was gone. I was then at the transfer desk and I got to know that I was already rebooked onto the next flight.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by kirbster73
Many thanks, we are in BKK waiting for her. I'm not sure how fast a 70 year old can run. Hopefully they can sort something out!!!!
AY 89 is A350 so while waiting daily aircraft defect they can run Helsinki Marathon and even more.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
They aren't? I was once on a delayed AY70 (you read that right, AY70; not AY69). Everybody missed their connections (except the HEL-bound pax like me).

Even before landing, the cabin staff was providing infos about alternate flights in J (probably only in J). At the arrival gate, there were also a pair of staff members doing the same.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:35 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Courmisch
They aren't? I was once on a delayed AY70 (you read that right, AY70; not AY69). Everybody missed their connections (except the HEL-bound pax like me).

Even before landing, the cabin staff was providing infos about alternate flights in J (probably only in J). At the arrival gate, there were also a pair of staff members doing the same.
Sound like they have stepped up their game, so maybe they are. I haven't been very well cared for in the past though.

Standard operating procedure (with delayed AY69) has IME been
1. Text message 1 hour before connecting flight take off, announcing possible delay, urging me to proceed to HEL.
2. No information at check in, staff has no clue there are delays
3. Onboard the connecting flight, FA casually announce once "travellers to HKG, contact ground staff" (then hide in the galley)
4. No staff or sign at arrival gate.
5. One tired lady manning transfer desk, taking 10 minutes to produce my new BP (after a 1 hour wait in line)
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:42 am
Moderator, Finnair

By the way AY89 just was announced to preliminary depart 17:10, ie a 10 minute delay is already announced.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:15 am
Original Poster

By the way AY89 just was announced to preliminary depart 17:10, ie a 10 minute delay is already announced.
And her flight has just landed. Let's see what happens.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Now showing a 1730 departure.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:29 am
Moderator, Finnair

Yup, still on the ground.

-- Not anymore, take off 17:32

Last edited by intuition; Feb 9, 2016 at 8:36 am
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Sound like they have stepped up their game, so maybe they are. I haven't been very well cared for in the past though.

Standard operating procedure (with delayed AY69) has IME been
[bad]
Well, I can easily believe that they don't know and do much about connected-to flight being delayed. I was referring to the case of connected-from flight being delayed. In that case, all affected passengers are in the same plane, so it's not that hard to get someone to help at the arrival gate.

In another instance, I was on a delayed AY874, and the purser specifically asked HEL-bound passengers to stay put in the plane to let the connecting passengers catch their flights to Finland, TLL, SIN and HKG.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: Finnair plat
2014 I was on a trip from CPG - SYD thue HKG - AY69 was delayed so I was rerouted with SK to Beijing and with CX to HKG
CX was delayed... - at the HGK gate 19.34
My Qantas QF128 was going to depart at 20.05

And I had no ticket... At least I can hurry to the transfere desk for a CX to SYD
But as I left the plane there was a Onewold guy with my name and a ticket
through security with a slightly delayed, - and QF was still boarding
QF128 left gate at 20.15

So a transfere in Hong Kong in 40 min and my luggage too

I wrote a thanks mail to Finnair Plus for the Onewold handling in Hong Kong
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by kirbster73
Check out Bernie Sanders and his presidential campaign, boy can that 70++ year old run! Not to mention I'm pretty close to that age and I can get myself around an airport pretty quickly...don't write us old timers off that easy. 70 is the new 50! So don't put your ol' mum down!!

So OP do tell us what happened? Don't leave us in limbo!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Check out Bernie Sanders and his presidential campaign, boy can that 70++ year old run! Not to mention I'm pretty close to that age and I can get myself around an airport pretty quickly...don't write us old timers off that easy. 70 is the new 50! So don't put your ol' mum down!!

So OP do tell us what happened? Don't leave us in limbo!
Thankfully, she didn't need to run. She was put on the later flight AY95 where according t her, there was hardly anyone on the plane. She went to the transfer desk where they issued the new boarding pass, and eventually arrived in Bangkok only two hours later than scheduled.

Thanks everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.