LHR T3 Lounge options - opinions?

Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:10 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Yesterday I decided to try the AA lounge in T3 (no flagship for me, as a lowly OWS) and have to say to my surprise, I like it better than BA's Galleries Club. Food was alright, place was neat and clean and plany of places around (actually almost empty).

The only interesting stuff was that at the reception they asked me for an invitation card from CX. Told them I only got one for SIN & HKG, but not for LHR. She started to type my AY FF# into the computer and after a few minutes she said: "Ok, it went through, welcome to Admirals Club"
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:06 pm

I have a flight through LHR arriving Wednesday. Today I received an e-mail from AA which reads:

AAdvantage Executive Platinum Number: XXXXXXX
Our Arrivals Lounge in London Heathrow (LHR) Terminal 3 will be temporarily closed during your upcoming trip. We're working to bring you an all new lounge experience later this summer.

We invite you to enjoy complimentary access to the British Airways Arrivals Lounge in Terminal 5 in the meantime.

Here's how:

Fully exit immigration and customs in Terminal 3
Transfer from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 using the Heathrow Express (free for all travelers)
In Terminal 5, take the orange lifts to the first floor
Present your eligible boarding pass to gain entry
__________________________________________________ _______

My question is, why would AA recommend that I go to Terminal 5 to use the lounge of BA? I have a connecting flight to Vienna and will not need to clear immigration or customs in LHR. It seems like a lot of wasted effort to clear Immigration and customs just to go to a lounge in a different terminal. Wouldn't I also have to clear security after returning to Terminal 3?

My AA flight arrives in Terminal 3 and my connection is also in Terminal 3.

Is there a decent lounge for One World EXP in Terminal 3?

Thanks

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Apr 10, 2016 at 11:27 pm Reason: grammar
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:25 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I don't really see the link with Finnair here. But yes, there is BA F lounge in Terminal 3. CX lounge is also closed for renovation.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:06 am

And also AA has their own flagship lounge at LHR T3 (though no personal experience with it).
Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Our Arrivals Lounge in London Heathrow (LHR) Terminal 3 will be temporarily closed during your upcoming trip.

My question is, why would AA recommend that I go to Terminal 5 to use the lounge of BA?

ARRIVALS lounge is for passengers terminating at LHR. As the AA arrivals lounge will be closed for renovations, they direct AA passengers to T5 for BA arrivals lounge. You can't use departure lounges when arriving LHR.

As you are transfer passenger in T3, you can use departure lounge between your flights, best lounge at the moment for Oneworld Emeralds is BA F lounge. Qantas is building new departure lounge, and Cathay Pacific lounge is under renovation.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:40 am

There are two possibilities why OP has receieved the above e-mail from AA:

1, He is travelling on separate tickets and the AA ticket terminates at LHR
2, AA was lazy and sent the message to all AA EXP/OWE who travels to LHR w/ them

Either way, as temppa has already pointed out, OP is transferring at T3 and thus wouldn't use the arrivals lounge anyway...

Last edited by Steve_Hun; Apr 11, 2016 at 4:41 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:42 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest, BT Exec
Try the Elemis-spa between First and Club lounges in T3 and explain the situation. No need to change terminals that way.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Yesterday I decided to try the AA lounge in T3 (no flagship for me, as a lowly OWS) and have to say to my surprise, I like it better than BA's Galleries Club. Food was alright, place was neat and clean and plany of places around (actually almost empty).

The only interesting stuff was that at the reception they asked me for an invitation card from CX. Told them I only got one for SIN & HKG, but not for LHR. She started to type my AY FF# into the computer and after a few minutes she said: "Ok, it went through, welcome to Admirals Club"
Your'e right, Admirals Clubs outside the US are much nicer. Never heard of that kind of entrance process.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
I have a flight through LHR arriving Wednesday. Today I received an e-mail from AA which reads:

AAdvantage Executive Platinum Number: XXXXXXX
Our Arrivals Lounge in London Heathrow (LHR) Terminal 3 will be temporarily closed during your upcoming trip. We're working to bring you an all new lounge experience later this summer.

We invite you to enjoy complimentary access to the British Airways Arrivals Lounge in Terminal 5 in the meantime.

Here's how:

Fully exit immigration and customs in Terminal 3
Transfer from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 using the Heathrow Express (free for all travelers)
In Terminal 5, take the orange lifts to the first floor
Present your eligible boarding pass to gain entry
__________________________________________________ _______

My question is, why would AA recommend that I go to Terminal 5 to use the lounge of BA? I have a connecting flight to Vienna and will not need to clear immigration or customs in LHR. It seems like a lot of wasted effort to clear Immigration and customs just to go to a lounge in a different terminal. Wouldn't I also have to clear security after returning to Terminal 3?

My AA flight arrives in Terminal 3 and my connection is also in Terminal 3.

Thanks
The auto generator doesn't recognize your connecting flight and considers you like any premium arriving passenger off an AA flight. Sent the same message all premium passengers get. Obviously you will follow the connections channel and after clearing security back into T3, you can use either the BA or AA lounge (both of which have showers).
Old May 24, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by The_Director
EDIT: I might get lucky with the CX...I was going trough some reviews on different lounges and somewhere was a comment that the CX lounge is under renovation, and should open late June. I'm traveling super late in June.
I read from the CX forum that the lounge at T3 will probably reopen in August. Damn!
Old May 24, 2016, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Yes, August 2016 is the updated projected opening.

AA lounge complex has superior shower suites, while BA has more upscale ambience and significantly better food and drink.

Time allowing, use both lounges. They are physically close to each other.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Hartsa
I read from the CX forum that the lounge at T3 will probably reopen in August. Damn!
Damn it... Flying from LHR again in July and was already looking forward trying the new CX lounge
Old May 24, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dera
QF lounge in LAX is single class so no first class with their new concept. It is pretty nice though.
Originally Posted by The_Director
I believe they have a First class only lounge in the TBIT at LAX.

http://www.qantas.com/travel/airline...unge/global/en
Indeed, QF has a dedicated F lounge at LAX in the TBIT. They also operate the Business OW Lounge in TBIT.

There is also now an airside connector to T4, which allows access in less than 10 minutes to the AA FL. Some folks prefer it due to the self-serve aspect and more comfy chairs,
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: AY+, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Hartsa
Does anyone have any insider info about the re-opening schedule?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
Originally Posted by Eyrie
Does anyone have any insider info about the re-opening schedule?
I read from ausbt.co.au that CX lounge will open now in September. Note also Qantas will open a flagship lounge in T3 in March 2017 ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.