Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY+ Tier status in other OW airline systems

Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat, OWE

How long does it usually take for the AY+ tier status to be updated to correct tier if any changes would take place?

1 Week? A Month?

Airline inquestion...AA.

I haven't had the need to use AA website for a while, but my next flight has a AA portion, and the AA site doesn't recognise my status, and tries to charge me for booking seats.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
I've had it update immediately to BA system, which may be because both are Amadeus. AA uses Sabre, so the API's between the two systems might cause delays in new tier recognition.

I suggest you give a call to AA since from what I've understood, they don't always recognize your status on their website evene after a long time.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

No progress yet, AA hasn't been...well...they are polite, but nothing more.

Now I'm assigned with seat 1B, which isn't a seat at all...Rows 1-5 are First class seats, and only A & F.

I'll just have to wait...seems silly to pay 40 dollars for a seat booking per flight, when I should get it for free.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, BAEC Gold, IHG Gold Amb
It took 8 days before my status was updated to Amadeus (BA) after it had been changed in AY application. Not sure about AA system tho if it has been changed yet.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
This might actually be AA (Sabre) issue - I've had bookings with AA not updating when my status updated, for several months. Had to ask an AAngel to manually work their magic for them to even see the correct status on a reservation, BPs printing with the status at time of reservation etc.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Lappe
This might actually be AA (Sabre) issue - I've had bookings with AA not updating when my status updated, for several months. Had to ask an AAngel to manually work their magic for them to even see the correct status on a reservation, BPs printing with the status at time of reservation etc.
Ugh, I really wish they'd use the same system! One alliance, one reservation system.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:32 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by lkrt
Ugh, I really wish they'd use the same system! One alliance, one reservation system.
It will not help. They still use different FF databases and from what I understand (I did some IT consultancy job when LAN was migrating from Amadeus to SABRE, now TAM does the same thing and I was asked again, but rejected due to workloads) airline A needs to update airline B about the change. This is a done via batch file upload and Res system is irrelevant here. Star Alliance has the same problems.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
It will not help. They still use different FF databases and from what I understand (I did some IT consultancy job when LAN was migrating from Amadeus to SABRE, now TAM does the same thing and I was asked again, but rejected due to workloads) airline A needs to update airline B about the change. This is a done via batch file upload and Res system is irrelevant here. Star Alliance has the same problems.
My point was regarding to all the different problems with different reservation systems, different PNR's for different res systems and other glitches.

Anyway, seems kind of old-fashioned?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:20 am
Original Poster

OK, all good now.

I tried successfully to book seats, and was able to secure 11B and 11D for no charge.

Was it AY to was able to inform AA to update my tier status, or was it my email and phone call to AA that did it, don't know, but I suppose I was also slightly impatient...but when you've got a flight coming, it's a matter of moments when it comes to seat selection.

HEL-JFK in J
JFK-LAX in MCE - 6" extra leg space!! Can't wait to see that!
LAX-JFK in MCE
JFK-HEL in J
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:42 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by The_Director
JFK-LAX in MCE - 6" extra leg space!! Can't wait to see that!
Don't forget the key word: it is up to 6".

On the other hand I'm a fairly tall lad (1.93m) and did fit comfortable in MCE on AA's Transcontinental A321. BTW, those planes have an amazing cabin. Half of the plane is first & business cabin and only half is coach.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Don't forget the key word: it is up to 6".

On the other hand I'm a fairly tall lad (1.93m) and did fit comfortable in MCE on AA's Transcontinental A321. BTW, those planes have an amazing cabin. Half of the plane is first & business cabin and only half is coach.
I'm only 1.84m and row 11 is an exit seat row...should be fine. The last time on that plane I was in J, but the people sitting on the 11th row seemed happy and cheerful.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
My higher status updated from AY to AA in 5 days weekend included. That was quite fluent
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:18 am
ttj

Programs: AY+ Plat
Previously my OWE update ended up taking closer to 8 months and ultimately it was AY+ Plat support that worked it out. AA itself didn't do anything, and it ultimately became much too painful to always fight with AA about status at e.g. JFK Flagship lounge that I managed to get AY to weigh in on it and drive through the fix.

Slightly off-topic and a bit rantingly, but AA was seriously appallingly bad in their support and I had quite many interesting discussions with various customer-facing interfaces on the subject, and seems that they are very much ignorant and not even inclined to understand alliance-level stuff. My favorite was a dialogue in which I was asking how they explain the fact that I carry a OWE card and happened to have AY and BA tickets in my bag with OWE recognized, yet they only recognize me as OWS. The legendary answer was that "Sir, with us, you are only a Sapphire" with a straight face and refusal to acknowledge any evidence provided on OWE. I'll stop my rant now...
Old May 15, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Hartsa
My higher status updated from AY to AA in 5 days weekend included.
To provide one more data point here; I had a similar experience just now, AY+ Gold updated to AA in about 5 days. Not too bad, although I might have tried to rush them in a day or two.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:55 am
np1

Last year I got my AY OWS during LAX-PTY MR on the date of return. AA system did not show my status on LAX-JFK flight but status was printed on my (BA) JFK-LHR boarding pass which I then used to access lounge also on LAX-JFK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.