Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

This is no way, AY - things to improve [feedback thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This is no way, AY - things to improve [feedback thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
3) Unlike most of the other OW airlines, I have NEVER been acknowledged for my OWE status and been thanked personally for choosing to fly AY. Now, this is not important to me per se, but it is really common on CX, JL, QF, and sometimes on BA and AA. I'm pretty sure there are other OWE that might find this a disappointing omission though.
As OWE, I got acknowledged once out of many by QF, and never by BA. As OWS, I never got acknowledged on AA, AB, BA, CX or IB.

I will give you that Finnair FAs are pretty bad at acknowledgement, but I cannot say I am far from impressed with any airline in this respect.

And as a foreign resident in HEL, I have learnt the hard way that the Finnish politeness consists of not disturbing the other, and thus not talking to him/her. By your nick, I assume you should know this as well as I do
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Courmisch
As OWE, I got acknowledged once out of many by QF, and never by BA. As OWS, I never got acknowledged on AA, AB, BA, CX or IB.

I will give you that Finnair FAs are pretty bad at acknowledgement, but I cannot say I am far from impressed with any airline in this respect.

And as a foreign resident in HEL, I have learnt the hard way that the Finnish politeness consists of not disturbing the other, and thus not talking to him/her. By your nick, I assume you should know this as well as I do
I'm sensitive to the Finnish way in some sorts, although I'm mostly of origin only. However AY is an Int'l airline, servicing Asia heavily, where these types of "tier acknowledgments" are common. As I mentioned in my post, not important to me, but something AY could improve on knowing many of the pax they are serving.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: BA GfL
On a recent DEL-HEL flight on AY, the purser acknowledged tier flyers (I'm OWE) before we took off and then came around again to thank us before we landed. Very classy but then the purser was one of those rare grande dames in her 60s. I hope the younger set can learn something from her.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:45 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I just booked return HEL-LHR flights with two nights at the destination for someone who didn't even want to consider flying anything else but Finnair. Well, AY wanted €600+ for their tickets whereas BA sold them for €160. The "only AY will do" requirement was dropped in a nanosec.

I wonder if AY revenue management really is sure they are making more money with these superexpensive short-stay tickets. Perhaps worth reconsidering at least for destinations where there's direct competition.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I definitely want AY to improve their EC261 compensations. In the past there was absolutely none, nowadays I have had clear cut cases where I need to fight and finally they give in with a meeh 200€ voucher. This is pure shame.

SAS wins hands down here, always got what I should, sometimes even proactively and sometimes even got compensation in service disruptions not liable for them
Old Dec 24, 2015, 5:44 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Apparently AY does not sell same day return anymore on saturdays and sundays. The only option left to fly AY on CPH-HEL and return the same day is to book 2 single tickets. That is a big FU.

Add in the eagerness to price oneways out of this world, and the rule that awards flights can't be same day returns add to the image of a cokky airline. Really not interested in the shorthaul flights, are you now?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by intuition
Apparently AY does not sell same day return anymore on saturdays and sundays. The only option left to fly AY on CPH-HEL and return the same day is to book 2 single tickets.
Just book two return tickets. That is AY-world.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:37 am

Just got confirmed that for my Flight from Helsinki to Krabi in January 2016 there is no Pre-Order for Meals in Business Class (Except Special Meals). That is annoying - so none of the additional Meals out of Helsinki available and praying that you have at least still the available options once you get served.
For Business that is more then poor Customer Service.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by sukah
Just got confirmed that for my Flight from Helsinki to Krabi in January 2016 there is no Pre-Order for Meals in Business Class (Except Special Meals). That is annoying - so none of the additional Meals out of Helsinki available and praying that you have at least still the available options once you get served.
For Business that is more then poor Customer Service.
Flew AY38 from Phuket on Sunday. Service was good, drinks plentiful, but food was miserable in business. Couldn't preorder anything either.

Lunch served on one tray, lousy feta salad, dry pork tenderloin and two small pieces of cheese. Second meal was disgusting yellow noodles with fatty chicken, and four pieces of fruit as a dessert. Compared with our flight to BKK this was much worse foodwise, otherwise with half-empty business cabin and friendly service the flight wasn't too bad.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:22 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
I was complaining about this same thing a few months back on another thread. Flew back home from SGN in J yesterday and guess what – yes, they ran out of champagne. Once again. It happened before the meal service even started. Last time this happened on my flight from BKK to HEL October. After that I sent feedback to AY. They were apologetic and told my feedback will be send forward in the organisation so that this kind of mistakes wouldn't happen again. LOL.

Purser's explanation was that this is the reality nowadays when LSG Sky Chefs is handling the catering. She confirmed that different kind of problems in catering service are common now.

Two weeks before both outbound and inbound flight, AY sent an email where they advertised Meals designed for you menus and other special meals that can be ordered ahead to tailor flights for everyone's taste. I heard a couple of fellow J paxs complaining to purser since they didn't receive their orders. Also, garlic bread is now gone. White wine was lukewarm and crew wasn't able to suggest which one would fit best with arctic char they served on the outbound flight. Wine list didn't help either in this matter. So, I got one glass each white wine.

Only one set of cutleries were provided for starter, main course and cheeses. Everything was served on one tray. Not very impressed.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:37 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Not that it would matter so much, but I have got acknowledged by AY, BA... and very warmly by QR and UL. And until recently, I was only a "lowly" OWS.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:49 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Justinus
Not that it would matter so much, but I have got acknowledged by AY, BA... and very warmly by QR and UL. And until recently, I was only a "lowly" OWS.
Just flew LHR-SFO on BA, first time ever acknowledgement on that airline. Also op-up to First "You're now 5A, sir". Which was nice.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:25 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I was kind of aknowledged on BA just recently. I guess they noticed I was emerald but held a CIV value of zero:
"I guess you fly a lot of Cathay flights, but a very warm welcome to BA and I hope you will enjoy our way of service!"
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
AY should definitely let pax know in advance that they operate a reduced meal service in J on the leisure-turned-scheduled longhauls. Krabi, Phuket, Saigon, Miami. Are there more of these?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
AY should definitely let pax know in advance that they operate a reduced meal service in J on the leisure-turned-scheduled longhauls. Krabi, Phuket, Saigon, Miami. Are there more of these?
Are there any Caribbean destinations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.