Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas cracker headache

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+, HH Gold
Christmas cracker headache

Firstly, hi! Newbie here, although I've lurked around a while.

I live in London and am flying to Helsinki for Christmas later this month, and was hoping to again take some christmas crackers with me.

Last year I called Finnair UK customer services and they said I can put them in my hold luggage, and that they need to be in their original box, and commercially manufactured (I don't know if homemade christmas crackers are a huge thing, it sounds like a bad idea!). The person on the line had to do some digging to get the answer. When I arrived at LHR, I heard the check in agent talk to another customer, saying the same and adding that only one pack per traveller were allowed.

This was in contrast to the website Finnair homepage refers to, when you want to see what is allowed:
http://www.mitamukaanlennolle.fi/en/...istmas-cracker
On that page you are not allowed to bring christmas crackers at all.

LHR allows christmas crackers in hand luggage, but advises passengers to ask from their airlines, as they might have different rules.

So this year I thought I'd call Finnair again, in case the policy has changed. I heard the agent type something on the computer, and the reply was that they are not allowed at all. I told her that last year the policy was different (and that BA allows them) and so she offered to ask her supervisor. The reply was that last year some BA flights had a few special flights on which christmas crackers were allowed, and that maybe I was on one of them. This was very odd, as even last year BA had the same policy as this year - ok in hold luggage. And I didn't fly with BA last year either.

Long story short, it seems that there is major confusion about the policy here. So I'm wondering if any of you have already flown from LHR to HEL with crackers and have gotten a go ahead from the check in desk? I know it's a long shot, but you never know
Or if any of you have any insight into this matter.

I know you can buy some in Finland, but unfortunately I'm arriving just before christmas and don't have time to shop.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:35 pm

I don't know, but I will know more on Tuesday when someone flies out... Need to forewarn them.

With the usual Finnair approach to customer services (or good practice/law, such as EU261) I wouldn't expect them to do anything else than be difficult, just because they can.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m2uk
I don't know, but I will know more on Tuesday when someone flies out... Need to forewarn them.

With the usual Finnair approach to customer services (or good practice/law, such as EU261) I wouldn't expect them to do anything else than be difficult, just because they can.
If you could report back, that would be great!
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:24 am

My cracker couriers have slightly cold feet, so have decided to remove the "bangy bit" from the crackers and stick a note on each box (in case security are nosy when they are not there).

It is a royal pain in the arse, especially when you know what else is transferred and crackers don't self pop in the hold in original packaging.

So I will know on Tuesday if the bang-less crackers even survived as it might be beyond the wit of Finnair to understand that without the bang-bit they are just glorified toilet rolls with bits inside and outside.

The really stupid thing is that if the flight was marketed by Finnair but operated by BA you'd be OK (BA rules?), so it shows an even bigger "f-d up" situation when a flight five minutes before or after operated by BA is OK to the same destination, yet AY operated and it is suddenly a big deal. If only our borders here were so well policed and secure...

The stupid thing is that you *can* send by post the bangy bits; as I had a packet of them via eBay a week or so ago. That might be "plan B" for you too, if you can bring in "inert crackers" and send your bangy bits by post or by some off eBay?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
This is slightly off-topic - but it took me a while to understand this thread. Thought first that Christmas cracker referred here was Pipari (ginger bisquit)

Why on earth would Pipari be disallowed in hand/hold luggage...
Old Dec 15, 2015, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m2uk
My cracker couriers have slightly cold feet, so have decided to remove the "bangy bit" from the crackers and stick a note on each box (in case security are nosy when they are not there).

It is a royal pain in the arse, especially when you know what else is transferred and crackers don't self pop in the hold in original packaging.

So I will know on Tuesday if the bang-less crackers even survived as it might be beyond the wit of Finnair to understand that without the bang-bit they are just glorified toilet rolls with bits inside and outside.

The really stupid thing is that if the flight was marketed by Finnair but operated by BA you'd be OK (BA rules?), so it shows an even bigger "f-d up" situation when a flight five minutes before or after operated by BA is OK to the same destination, yet AY operated and it is suddenly a big deal. If only our borders here were so well policed and secure...

The stupid thing is that you *can* send by post the bangy bits; as I had a packet of them via eBay a week or so ago. That might be "plan B" for you too, if you can bring in "inert crackers" and send your bangy bits by post or by some off eBay?
Hmm, yes, removing the "explosives" could be an option! I'm not sure I'm enthusiastic enough to start ordering by ebay, or if I want to be in the mercy of a mail courier. Also, I'm not sure how weird it would look to order that sort of stuff to someone else's (my parents') address. I'm sure that would get me on some sort of list

But thanks anyway! Hope the glorified toilet rolls clear the security checks
Old Dec 15, 2015, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jouhka
This is slightly off-topic - but it took me a while to understand this thread. Thought first that Christmas cracker referred here was Pipari (ginger bisquit)

Why on earth would Pipari be disallowed in hand/hold luggage...
Old Dec 24, 2015, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Update:

Had one box from Sainsbury's in my check in luggage. The lady at the check in didn't know for sure if they were allowed so she asked her two collagues there. One said no, the other didn't know.
So she called someone who said yes for one box. Apparently they quoted that Helsinki airport approves one box, which is a bit odd as I've understood that it's the airlines that decide on this, not the airports. For example, Heathrow airport says yes, but adds that individual airlines might say no.

So all in all, they are now here in Finland, happily waiting for the evening Happy Holidays everyone!
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:40 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Eyrie
So all in all, they are now here in Finland, happily waiting for the evening Happy Holidays everyone!
All's well that ends well!

Merry Xmas all FTers!! :-::-::-:
Old Dec 26, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The certifying authority for the operating airline also has a say in the rules. The "cracker" is a very low power explosive, but an explosive nonetheless. And as such, they are considered hazardous materials. Authorization to transport the cracker will be based on the regulations for the operating airline. The second piece is the certifying regulator for each aerodrome (airport) and associated security protocols (e.g., TSA in the USA). The regulations for what is admissible for transport through the subject airports and transported is dependent upon those rules as well. The airlines policies aren't arbitrary in regard to these issues. Lack of knowledge regarding these regulations by the subject airline personnel is worrisome. They should be much more knowledgeable.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
The certifying authority for the operating airline also has a say in the rules. The "cracker" is a very low power explosive, but an explosive nonetheless. And as such, they are considered hazardous materials. Authorization to transport the cracker will be based on the regulations for the operating airline. The second piece is the certifying regulator for each aerodrome (airport) and associated security protocols (e.g., TSA in the USA). The regulations for what is admissible for transport through the subject airports and transported is dependent upon those rules as well. The airlines policies aren't arbitrary in regard to these issues. Lack of knowledge regarding these regulations by the subject airline personnel is worrisome. They should be much more knowledgeable.
Thanks for that! That makes more sense in regards to different airlines having such varying policies on the same routes.

I don't know if outsourcing ground personnel is one factor on the lack of knowledge about these details. At LHR it's Menzies. In any case, you'd think that during the "christmas cracker season" the rules would be discussed again to refresh the memories.

I also asked about this in a facebook group, and got dozens of replies where people said they simply didn't tell they had crackers in their luggage, with the logic that "if they're dangerous, the security at LHR will remove them". One person even saw a sign prohibiting them, but she decided to keep their mouth shut. Most people encouraged me to just not mention them at all.
I find this to be really worrying, as they are explosives (although minor ones, as you said) and you do have to confirm you are not carrying any during the check in process. I suppose they're not a major threat, but in case of fire etc I'm sure they won't help. And I don't feel very confident on the different risks of flying (even though I enthusiastically watch documentaries on crashes! ) so I wouldn't assume that some rules can be ignored just with the plain logic of "I don't think this is a problem" or "I'm sure someone else will sort this out if it is".
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I have had 2 lighters confiscated this year from checked-in bags at HEL. You would think this (before this post) unbeknownst cracker would pose a greater risk than a lighter, would you not?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:19 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
DGR are DGR, some substances (like explosives) have very low limits per bag, some (like 30-42% alcohol aka whiskey) have generous allowances (5liters). Lighter fluid is self inflammatory at low cabin pressures and not allowed on board. Oxygen bottles are considered flame aids and not allowed on board without reason. Most accidents are a chain of events taking place: so your xmas cracker in one bag beside a another bag with home made schnapps and some lithium ion batteries should make a nice mix...
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
DGR are DGR, some substances (like explosives) have very low limits per bag, some (like 30-42% alcohol aka whiskey) have generous allowances (5liters). Lighter fluid is self inflammatory at low cabin pressures and not allowed on board. Oxygen bottles are considered flame aids and not allowed on board without reason. Most accidents are a chain of events taking place: so your xmas cracker in one bag beside a another bag with home made schnapps and some lithium ion batteries should make a nice mix...
Agree. Li ion batteries still make me nervous, but nothing I can do about them.

How many passengers don't take the high road and inquire, instead just blithely putting dangerous items in their checked luggage and hoping they won't be detected?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Haha, this thread made it to Flyertalk's TalkMail Hot Threads section:

"Why would an airline have any issue with a passenger transporting crackers? Eyrie wanted to simply transport some homemade Christmas crackers on a flight from London and would not have time to shop for them upon arrival in Helsinki. Perhaps the reason is because these crackers are not very tasty, to say the least; and probably would have had better luck carrying - er - bangers instead... "

Great job folks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.