Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OH-LGG
Finnair (AY) company website dedicated for A350 fleet can be found HERE
!!
bold= new cabin

!!

A350 Deliveries
OH-LWA (msn 18) delivered 7th Oct 2015 is the first Finnair A350 and started long-haul operations as AY57 to PVG on 21st Nov 2015.
OH-LWB (msn 19) was delivered 14th Dec 2015, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 19th Dec 2015.
OH-LWC (msn 20) was delivered 31st Dec 2015, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 3rd Jan 2016.
OH-LWD (msn 22) was delivered 25th Mar 2016, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 28th Mar 2016.
OH-LWE (msn 23) was delivered 29th Apr 2016, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 1st May 2016
OH-LWF (msn 28) was delivered 25th Jun 2016, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 27th Jun 2016
OH-LWG (msn 51) was delivered 29th Sep 2016, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 30th Sep 2016
OH-LWH (msn 97) was delivered 04th Apr 2017, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 5th Apr 2017
OH-LWI (msn 104) was delivered 02nd Jun 2017, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 5th Jun 2017
OH-LWK (msn 113) was delivered 30th Jun 2017, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 3rd Jul 2017
OH-LWL (msn 134) was delivered on 22th Sep 2017, started as AY 831 to LHR on 27th Sep 2017 and started longhauls on 29th Sep 2017 as AY89 to BKK.
OH-LWM (msn 264) was delivered on 13th Dec 2018, started long-haul operations as AY73 to NRT on 19th Dec 2018
OH-LWN (msn 273) was delivered on 13th Feb 2019, started long-haul operations as AY73 to NRT on 16th Feb 2019
OH-LWO (msn 300) was delivered on 26th Apr 2019, started long haul operations as AY141 to BKK on 29th Apr 2019
OH-LWP (msn 392) was delivered on 10th Feb 2020, started long haul operations as AY141 to BKK on 13th Feb 2020
OH-LWR (msn 410) was delivered on 1st Sep 2020, started long haul operations as AY141 to BKK on 8th Sep 2020
OH-LWS (msn 516) was delivered on 29th Dec 2021, started long haul operations as AY87 to PVG (cargo only) on 24th Jan 2022, first pax service on 28th Feb 2022 as AY9

Seating
2 different configurations exists.
J/46 Y/251: Features 2 J cabins. First 8 birds and 12th(LWA-LWH, LWM) has this config
J/32 Y/304: The minicabin is removed and replaced with Y seating. Babycots in 1L and 41L. Birds 9-11, 13, 15 (LWI-LWL, LWN, LWP) has this config, a.k.a. marsuhäkki config.

Complete seatmap and layout of config 1 can be found HERE and config 2 is here.

Business Class features Zodiac Cirrus III full-flat bed seats in a 1-2-1 abreast config, all seats with direct access to the aisle. Config1 has two business class cabins, row1-8 and 9-12, while config2 only has one (row 1-8). Early reviews has preferred front cabin over minicabin, and for best window seat, row 2 or 1 may be preferable, row 1 for aisle seats.

As operations of A350 has matured, it has become practice to set the snack-bar on top of the cupboard in front of row 1, making row 1 experience a lot of foot traffic and noise.
Config2 also suffers from low toilet/pax quota (2 toilets / 32 pax) as the aft toilets has been assigned to the high density Y cabin, further contributing to high foot traffic in the front of the cabin. For these reasons, a seat further to the back may be preferable. However, all service start in the front and it will usually take a long time to get your meal in row 8.

For couples travelling together there is no clear choice. DH-seats are tilted towards each-other, but you still will not see the other person without leaning forwards. Seat across aisles (AD and HL respectively) has no barriers between them, but are tilted the wrong way and rows are also slightly misaligned.

Economy Comfort on A350 has the exact same seats as in economy, but with ≈4" inches more legroom. They also come with noise cancelling headphones, 1h internet, priority boarding and a small amenity kit.
Finnair platinums and OWE members can select these seats for free. (OWE must call to do so). Other passengers can select comfort seats for a fee, and seats are also sold after boarding.
On config1 comfort is row 21-25, while on config 2 comfort is row 21-24 + 25ABC and 25JKL. Row 21 is bulkhead and has slightly more space, as no seat reclines into the space. None of the configs has that super-space found on some retrofitted A330 though.

On config1 21AC and 21JL are the only paired seats making them preferable, but if you want to have IFE screen in the seat in front of you, pick row 22. On config2 all seats are in groups of 3, and it is also recommended to stay away from row 21 entirely, as it is entangled with the toilets.

In terms of space there are no seats in comfort cabin on either config that beats exit row 41A/C/J/L or 42A/L.

Economy Class features 3-3-3 abreast slimline seating with 32" pitch. The best seats are row 41 with most legroom on A/C/J/L (but they lack window), and row 42 A/L.
These are either labled "extra legroom" or "exit row" and are selectable with status or for a fee.
Economy cabin offers USB for charge - no AC outlets.

In-Flight Entertainment

IFE system is upgraded. Bigger screens, wider selection of movies and music, route mapper and control options. You can watch a movie from start to landing. You will have Bose noise-cancelling earphones in business class and in Economy comfort, and earplugs in economy class.
Wifi: you will see a code (in business class) in the screen when you open the IFE and select language. In economy class, you need to ask cabin crew for a voucher code if you are OWS/OWE, otherwise it costs you 7,95€ per hour, 11,95€ per three hours or 19,95€ for the whole flight. It may take some time until up in the air to get it started. Log in is required, once you have created an account and password, the system will recognize you next time.

Quality issues and early refurbishment
The seats in business class have had many quality issues from day one. Apart from some inherent problems with the seat design, there are also malfunctions and abnormal wear.
As every row has slightly different pitch, fittings and trimmings have had to de adopted manually. Apart from causing delays in delivery, this also has led to many things in the cabin tend to come loose, to squeak and to break.

In june 2017 it was announced that Airbus has accepted responsibility for the quality issues and will replace every seat on every plane delivered until that point in time (9 birds).
The refurbish will take place during the first round of major maintenance round, scheduled to start later this year.

There is no information if there will be any changes made at the same time (addressing complaints about cramped seats and missing stowage space for example), but most likely this is treated as a warranty action and so cabin will be equipped with the exact same seats and layout, albeit with a newer batch of seats.

More details and discussion:
FAM (Familiarization) flights were ongoing within European destinations until the first A350 aircraft was put on regular long-haul service on 21st November 2015. Here is a list of FAM flights quoted by a FT'er.
The "famous" introduction list with initial experiences can be found in THIS thread
Discussion about the first long-haul services and experiences can be found in another THREAD

Links to many trip reports can be found in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finn...ion-links.html.

Print Wikipost

Finnair A350 XWB master thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:08 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
From Finnair's Twitter feed.

Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:33 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
Please excuse my ignorance here, but how come AY have chosen to utilise the A350 on the BKK route? I mean the HEL-BKK-HEL route is pretty much a leisure destination so why use the "new flagship" on this particular route rather than NRT, SIN or HKG where in particular J is priced as a premium destination?

Having the A340 serving NRT/SIN/HKG without middle luggage compartments (in J) is just too difficult for me to understand (at least the A340's i have been seated in with the old config from BKK in J had no middle top carry on luggage compartment) when you have a new show off A350. BKK flights in J also seem to consist of 40-60% upgrades of back packers from Y...

Please enligthen me?

PS. I may have misunderstood the use of the A350 on the BKK route so please correct me if it's so...
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
The A 350 is one of the few planes which can carry 297 pax - there two A 330 which have the same capacity. And BKK/Thailand is booked very well in the winter seasson.

Last edited by Ed Size; Nov 19, 2015 at 11:40 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Ed Size
The A 350 is one of the few planes which can carry 297 pax - there to A 330 which have the same capacity. And BKK/Thailand is booked very well in the winter seasson.

LTU LTT LTS were 297 seats before economy comfort installation. Now seating capacity is 289.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
LTU LTT LTS were 297 seats before economy comfort installation. Now seating capacity is 289.
AY did not changed this on their webstite. Anyway, then it even makes more sense - the A 350 has the highest capacity, and BKK in wintertime needs high capacity.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:58 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It also make sense in another (twisted) way. BKK with lowest yield needs the most fuel efficient plane to make money.
But I agree with OP, quality equipment going on a leisure route is not good.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by intuition
It also make sense in another (twisted) way. BKK with lowest yield needs the most fuel efficient plane to make money.
I'm going to BKK in January. Maybe that's why.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Ed Size
AY did not changed this on their webstite.
Finnair updating website? What are You talkin about.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:51 am

BKK had to suffer from the old AF birds for the last 6 month, thats just some kind of compensation.I m looking forward to be on board latest in Feb/Mar.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:17 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
BKK is also one of the longest route - second longest "scheduled" route behind SIN, no? Full efficiency would be all the more beneficial.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by cistavoda
I'm going to BKK in January. Maybe that's why.
That's one good reason. And another is that I'm flying to BKK in January as well. Unfortunately only outbound onboard A350 as return will not be from BKK, which luckily at least this far it is not scheduled as QA or QG (both of which hopefully by that time are already sunbathing in Arizona!), but A330.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:01 am

I think AY is just being conservative. It's better to iron out inevitable issues with totally new equipment before it is introduced to most important routes. Few months don't make much difference.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: AY Platinum
That's irrelevant actually. If the A350 can save X amount of fuel on BKK and X+1 on some other route, it will always make sense to choose the other one even if BKK goes into the red. (All other things equal)
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by heatsink
That's irrelevant actually. If the A350 can save X amount of fuel on BKK and X+1 on some other route, it will always make sense to choose the other one even if BKK goes into the red. (All other things equal)
I think HEL<->BKK is the route that would profit the most from fuel saving. It is the longest route of all 24 hours round-trips (HEL<->SIN is longer, but 48 hours RTT).

So actually it makes most financial sense: it is the route where the A350 will save the most fuel on a daily operational basis.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I think HEL<->BKK is the route that would profit the most from fuel saving. It is the longest route of all 24 hours round-trips (HEL<->SIN is longer, but 48 hours RTT).

So actually it makes most financial sense: it is the route where the A350 will save the most fuel on a daily operational basis.
Yes, probably. My point was that the profitability of a single route isn't the issue. It will be placed where it can save or generate the most money from the whole network's perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.