Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Gold -> Platinum. What to do with expiring upgrades?

Gold -> Platinum. What to do with expiring upgrades?

Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:52 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Unsub

Can anyone confirm this?
I have upgraded e.g. colleagues with vouchers, even when I am not traveling with them.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by SPBanker
I have upgraded e.g. colleagues with vouchers, even when I am not traveling with them.
Can this be done via web pages or only through customer service?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Unsub
Can this be done via web pages or only through customer service?
Customer service ie platinum/gold line can take care of it for you. Not possible online as far as I know.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere:

I will soon hit Platinum and I guess I will receive the LH vouchers already for this year. I will not need them, but consider upgrading a colleague.

My question is: if my colleague has, let´s say, FRA-HEL-NRT, will the voucher also "cover" the op-up for the FRA-HEL leg or just HEL-NRT?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:28 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Justinus
Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere:

I will soon hit Platinum and I guess I will receive the LH vouchers already for this year. I will not need them, but consider upgrading a colleague.

My question is: if my colleague has, let´s say, FRA-HEL-NRT, will the voucher also "cover" the op-up for the FRA-HEL leg or just HEL-NRT?
The LH sector only, SH would need another. Its a pity that they dont do it like AA as a connector included
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:17 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by kauppias
The LH sector only, SH would need another. Its a pity that they dont do it like AA as a connector included
Or that they don't do like AY on points upgrades *)...
But I guess that is the rationale for giving both SH and LH vouchers.

*) upgrades for points are priced per trip, not per segment
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:15 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
This may be a stupid question but, how it is with upgrade vouchers while platinum? I will reach platinum soon and my tracking period ends 31.03.2016. So I get 4+2 to be used before April´s fools? And again 4+2 in April 2016 for the next plathood year? Will that be it for the coming tracking period, or will there be an additional 4+2 when I hit 150000 points by Nov 2016?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: LH SEN
You will get 4+2 vouchers when you qualify and those will expire on 31.3.2016. Another 4+2 you'll get when your actual Platinum membership year starts on 1.4.2016, and those expire on 31.3.2017. After that the next vouchers you will get on 1.4.2017, given you have re-qualified for Platinum.

It is a different thing to qualify and re-qualify.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I'm in the same shoes - qualifying for plat this month, period ends 28/Feb. It's easy to use the shorthauls, but the lh is a bit of a head scratching

At the same time a BA GUF2 going sour in Dec
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I'm in the same shoes - qualifying for plat this month, period ends 28/Feb. It's easy to use the shorthauls, but the lh is a bit of a head scratching
I ended up donating all the upgrades to friends. Got free dinners and a free place to stay in Singapore for 2 weeks in return..

I'm just rescheduling an upgraded flight to November - originally scheduled for today. Let's see what Finnair thinks about it, as the voucher used has already expired at the end of last month..
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
If you change your flight online, the system might easily lose your upgrade, at least it did in my case (without returning the points/voucher). Had to call to have the changed flight in C.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
If you change your flight online, the system might easily lose your upgrade, at least it did in my case (without returning the points/voucher). Had to call to have the changed flight in C.
It would be a nice perk from AY for Plats that at least the LH vouchers would not expire during the membership!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by Justinus
It would be a nice perk from AY for Plats that at least the LH vouchers would not expire during the membership!
I always manage to spend my vouchers within a month...
More vouchers for plats!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by cistavoda
I always manage to spend my vouchers within a month...
More vouchers for plats!
Maybe they should do XX extra vouchers for XX points OVER plat requirments
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by kauppias
Maybe they should do XX extra vouchers for XX points OVER plat requirments
They do. 4 extra SH vouchers (or other stuff) at 200k.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.