Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Need advise to go for row 21 or 41 on A340-300

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:38 am
Original Poster

My husband and I are going to travel with our 1 year old baby next month. I booked 2 x row 41 middle section seats (with possibility of baby cot) and I paid 40 euro / each seat.

But Finnair has now Economy Comfort class. Row 21 is also a front row seats (without baby cot possiblity , but I don't need one anyway as my baby is not going to fit in). I called Finnair Service twice to ask which row has better leg room. But nobody can tell me.

Row 21 cost me another 20 euro/seat. Before I know for sure which row is better off, I don't want to book it blind.

Can anybody help me here please?

Thanks a lot!!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
I might be wrong on this one, but I believe it would not be just "paying an extra 20€", but actually paying the whole 60€, regardless that you've already paid for a 40€ seat. As far as I know, even if you'd change now to another seat that would cost also 40€, they'd charge you again, it would not be free.

So just to keep this in mind when making a decision...
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
I might be wrong on this one, but I believe it would not be just "paying an extra 20€", but actually paying the whole 60€, regardless that you've already paid for a 40€ seat. As far as I know, even if you'd change now to another seat that would cost also 40€, they'd charge you again, it would not be free.

So just to keep this in mind when making a decision...

I actually asked the customer service when I purchased my row 41 seats , if in the future I decided to upgrade to row 21, what price do I need to pay. He said I only need to pay the difference. But I cannot downgrade my seat anymore as they do not refund. But by doing this upgrade online, indeed they charge you another 60 euro/seat. That's why I just call their Finnish service line.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Please see the AirCraftFinder(TM) ((c) intuition):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24867058-post168.html

Row 41 always has legroom, row 21 is hit and miss.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remymartin
Please see the AirCraftFinder(TM) ((c) intuition):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24867058-post168.html

Row 41 always has legroom, row 21 is hit and miss.
Thanks for your tips.
I changed my seats just now from 41D/E to 21A/C (economy comfort) anyway, considering no risk of sitting to another baby.
For the leg room , I think it will be comparable for both rows.
Reading that post with the model vs seats map, there's no mentioning of avoid 21A/C anyway. So I think it's safe to do it. Worst case, I paid 20 euro extra for getting the same leg room. But again, I avoided sitting to another baby and nearby the toilet.

Now fingers crossed.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Sunday last week Bangkok - Helsinki on row 21. #feelfinnair .. Yes, feeling it.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:29 am
Suspended

I could be wrong at this but that aircraft seat 21 is actually (comfort seat) which does cost much higher then the usual normal cost on the other economy seats. And seat 41 sounds good. You get a good view of the plane itself i think.

Ive notice that since my trip is not until past christmas the actual comfort seat group does fill in very fast. In fact from what im looking at since i already have my own spot paid for on the comfort seat area group there is only 5 seats left availability. So it looks like comfort seats are very popular. Tell us your experience mate
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by coucoupetite
Thanks for your tips.
I changed my seats just now from 41D/E to 21A/C (economy comfort) anyway, considering no risk of sitting to another baby.
For the leg room , I think it will be comparable for both rows.
Reading that post with the model vs seats map, there's no mentioning of avoid 21A/C anyway. So I think it's safe to do it. Worst case, I paid 20 euro extra for getting the same leg room. But again, I avoided sitting to another baby and nearby the toilet.

Now fingers crossed.
that's cute hehe avoid seating away from another baby well who doesn't Specially on a long haul you sure want to have a comfortable place for your own sake. How did it go on seat 21 did you go or not yet ? no babys around ? tell us your experiences.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by citro
that's cute hehe avoid seating away from another baby well who doesn't Specially on a long haul you sure want to have a comfortable place for your own sake. How did it go on seat 21 did you go or not yet ? no babys around ? tell us your experiences.

Our trip is at the end of October. So I am curious myself how it will turn out. It's our first trip with my baby, by then will be 1 year old. So I want to prepare as much as possible for it. That's why I opted for row 21 window seats after booking row 41 ... to avoid the risk of sitting to another baby... 1 baby is already challenging enough!

will update you guys after my trip again.

Actually my return trip is gonna fall on a new A350. (as far as I can see)... And then the seat map is 3-3-3. It's kind of tricky again how I should book my return seats. So far I have booked 2 on the row 41 middle 3. But then I am asking myself if I should play a trick to just reserve both aisle seat? I read somewhere that the middle seat is the last to be allocated. So there's a bigger chance that we will keep all 3 seats for 2 of us with our baby? Even if it's then allocated, we can still change with that person, to offer him an aisle seat which he would be grateful to accept rather than sitting in the middle of us?? Any opinions??
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:16 am
Original Poster

I could be wrong at this but that aircraft seat 21 is actually (comfort seat) which does cost much higher then the usual normal cost on the other economy seats. And seat 41 sounds good. You get a good view of the plane itself i think.

Ive notice that since my trip is not until past christmas the actual comfort seat group does fill in very fast. In fact from what im looking at since i already have my own spot paid for on the comfort seat area group there is only 5 seats left availability. So it looks like comfort seats are very popular. Tell us your experience mate
Row 41 costs 40 euro/seat as it offers more leg room
Row 21 costs 60 euro/seat as it's economy comfort class

On my flight end of October, there're only a few economy comfort booked so far. Not really popular yet.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:23 am
Suspended

Our trip is at the end of October. So I am curious myself how it will turn out. It's our first trip with my baby, by then will be 1 year old. So I want to prepare as much as possible for it. That's why I opted for row 21 window seats after booking row 41 ... to avoid the risk of sitting to another baby... 1 baby is already challenging enough!

will update you guys after my trip again.

Actually my return trip is gonna fall on a new A350. (as far as I can see)... And then the seat map is 3-3-3. It's kind of tricky again how I should book my return seats. So far I have booked 2 on the row 41 middle 3. But then I am asking myself if I should play a trick to just reserve both aisle seat? I read somewhere that the middle seat is the last to be allocated. So there's a bigger chance that we will keep all 3 seats for 2 of us with our baby? Even if it's then allocated, we can still change with that person, to offer him an aisle seat which he would be grateful to accept rather than sitting in the middle of us?? Any opinions??
Hey. i understand now that you are including you are bringing a baby in which will be 1 years old.

Well if im not mistaken ever with this thing, Anyone taking a baby on board must choose at least middle seats on the long haul flight. (not always) but from what ive seen when someone brings a baby on board it is usually seaed in the middle where there is more seats. (no windows groups) Just mainly against the front wall pretty much. Not the best are to stare at the wall there but that's where you take care of your own baby sake and anyone else too beside.

So i wish you luck with this. You will not no if there will be a parenting with a baby next to you when you look at the map of the plane you be going to. The live map seating shows you how up-to-date the seats are taken. It can also show you the seat you be on.

My tip but don't take it which ever way the wrong way..... If i was you and your taking your baby. And want to AVOID another baby next to you or near by. Just choose window seat. You can like choose like something seat 50 or seat 49 left or right window area. But of course that is 2 seated.

But if you are to seat in the middle of the plane that is where more then likely parenting or large family one and or more babys are seated there.

Usually if not mistaken parenting bringing a baby on board don't usually choose window seats. But the middle seating's of the long haul flight you mgiht be unlucky. Or you might be lucky.

However choosing Comfort seats is a smart way to go.

Im going just after Christmas and ive for the firs ttime choosing Comfort seat on the long haul flight between singapore to helsinki. Oh though i do want views without the wing blocking the views from the window. But since it is mainly dark all the way to helsinki i suppose i choose the best way for comfort seats. I personally have not experience nor what it is like or how quiet or will there be kids or babys crying constantly for hours on end on comfort seat. I personally don't no.

And comfort seat on the economy has been around aprox just 1 year or just close under 1 year so it is fairly new stuff.

You will just have to let us now up to date how it went. I am very keen to know your experience for the comfort seat. It is why you be flying first then me. And believe it or not i be seating on seat 22 window

Good luck. I know the feeling for the heck of the noise of babys on the plane constantly.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:35 am
Suspended

Row 41 costs 40 euro/seat as it offers more leg room
Row 21 costs 60 euro/seat as it's economy comfort class

On my flight end of October, there're only a few economy comfort booked so far. Not really popular yet.
Thank you for that information. yes that is right. It cost me 60.00euros just to choose a comfort seat on the live maping with finnair.

Since my flight is not until january. Ive already see that the comfort seating seats are filling in very fast. And my flight is a long haul flight from Singapore to helsinki. And that the comfort seats on this particular flight i be on the comfort seats are taken real quick. Notice how many empty normal economy seats there is. But interesting how the comfort seats on the economy are is filling in quite fast.

And this is for january trip to europe. Notice too the comming back to australia the comfort seats are already a few taken. Still plenty from what i see right now on finnair when i log into my booking. But im sure that flight the comfort seats will be taken quickly.

You will think that january is a long way to go yet. But believe it or not... christmas is almsot just around the corner follow by january. Yep it is that time of the year again. Time goes quick sometimes for some.

So like i previously said. I be very interesting to hear your experience on the comfort seat you have chosen. I believe you have choosed the best comfortable posible way. But like you and me.. We will see how that is to be true or not so true.. ill see how comfortable the seats are.. how wide or so the seats are... is it worth paying 60.00euros for a comfort seat... are the amenities that comfort seats will receive are of any quality or just cheap stuf that doesn't do you any good. And then comes the how quiet that group of comfort seats was and all that sort of stuff.. You will let us all know about it.

But just keep in mind. When you first enter the economy area. The first thing you see on the economy area are comfort seat groups i believe there is 5 rows of them. Someone can correct me on that.

Anyhow just keep in mind that after the 5 rows lines of the comfort seats are then the normal seats on economy. Any of that may end up having crying load of babys and kids. I really just don't no.

however think about this for a moment. On the long haul flights normally from what i believe is.. parenting and families bringing babys on board usually wants to be near the toilet areas. And not be seated far away from the toilet areas. It is why the mother or the father would constantly be out of the seat taking the baby to the toilet constantly. Instead of someone with a baby seated in the middle of the plane far away from the toilets.. Families with a baby prefer to be near by things like the toilet for example. Babys do all sorts of things.

Well my friend. I can relate to you with this... i dont have a baby but i sure i don't want to hear no kids or babys on board otherwise ill have to block my ears for the next 10 to 15 hours on my way to europe and back....

Good luck
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Thank you for that information. yes that is right. It cost me 60.00euros just to choose a comfort seat on the live maping with finnair.

Since my flight is not until january. Ive already see that the comfort seating seats are filling in very fast. And my flight is a long haul flight from Singapore to helsinki. And that the comfort seats on this particular flight i be on the comfort seats are taken real quick. Notice how many empty normal economy seats there is. But interesting how the comfort seats on the economy are is filling in quite fast.

And this is for january trip to europe. Notice too the comming back to australia the comfort seats are already a few taken. Still plenty from what i see right now on finnair when i log into my booking. But im sure that flight the comfort seats will be taken quickly.

You will think that january is a long way to go yet. But believe it or not... christmas is almsot just around the corner follow by january. Yep it is that time of the year again. Time goes quick sometimes for some.

So like i previously said. I be very interesting to hear your experience on the comfort seat you have chosen. I believe you have choosed the best comfortable posible way. But like you and me.. We will see how that is to be true or not so true.. ill see how comfortable the seats are.. how wide or so the seats are... is it worth paying 60.00euros for a comfort seat... are the amenities that comfort seats will receive are of any quality or just cheap stuf that doesn't do you any good. And then comes the how quiet that group of comfort seats was and all that sort of stuff.. You will let us all know about it.

But just keep in mind. When you first enter the economy area. The first thing you see on the economy area are comfort seat groups i believe there is 5 rows of them. Someone can correct me on that.

Anyhow just keep in mind that after the 5 rows lines of the comfort seats are then the normal seats on economy. Any of that may end up having crying load of babys and kids. I really just don't no.

however think about this for a moment. On the long haul flights normally from what i believe is.. parenting and families bringing babys on board usually wants to be near the toilet areas. And not be seated far away from the toilet areas. It is why the mother or the father would constantly be out of the seat taking the baby to the toilet constantly. Instead of someone with a baby seated in the middle of the plane far away from the toilets.. Families with a baby prefer to be near by things like the toilet for example. Babys do all sorts of things.

Well my friend. I can relate to you with this... i dont have a baby but i sure i don't want to hear no kids or babys on board otherwise ill have to block my ears for the next 10 to 15 hours on my way to europe and back....

Good luck
honestly, the other consideration to pay for extra money for the comfort seat, is because there's no way my husband is gonna fit in the normal economy seat due to his length. so some precious extra leg room is very important to our long haul trip... i'm flying to Shanghai actually... very curious about the A350 (hopfeully) on my return trip...
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:37 am
Suspended

honestly, the other consideration to pay for extra money for the comfort seat, is because there's no way my husband is gonna fit in the normal economy seat due to his length. so some precious extra leg room is very important to our long haul trip... i'm flying to Shanghai actually... very curious about the A350 (hopfeully) on my return trip...
Well love. I be on the old same everydays long haul flight which is i think if not forgotten the 330-300 from singapore to helsinki on the economy comfort seat.

Also take note. Depends which aircraft on the finnair you be going on the long haul flight The actual comfort seats some aircraft has the neck support thing. You know where you seat down there is that neck support thing where u can almost cover the view of your (naighbour) who is seating with you. Not sure what it is the actual proper name for it. But unfortunately the one i be on does NOT have that that retaining neck support on the seats. Unfortunately. The comfort seats it be the same as you be on but i believe yours has that extra support for the neck against the seat. Unfortunately my aircraft i will be on does not have that and there for i have to some how suffer little bit trying to have a good position with my neck. Specially that long haul flight you sure want comfortable seating.

I personally am not tall I just want something perhaps close to (luxury) but 100% if posible comfortable.

I know the other seats on economy are just basic and not so comfortable. I will find out how good and comfortable are the economy comfort seats... Unless there is no different then a normal economy seat and all it has which is diferent is the leg room and that is all. Or could this also mean the seat it much comfortable compare vs a normal economy seat lets say seat 41 on economy vs the seat 22 on the comfort seat on the 330-300 long haul flight ? wish i knew that. After all i paid the highest price that shows on the map there on economy for a comfortable seat. But will find out if the seat is much better vs a normal economy seat. Other then just extra leg room but it has to include just much more then just that im sure? I mean im not tall.. I just wanted to get the best this time when i fly to europe.

I look forward to hear your side of story and review with comfort seat. Make sure you take pictures and or video and show us what it is like. It also good idea because theres no video yet on comfort seat on finnair. So you could just be lucky to be the very first person in the world to make a video review and show the comfort seat

By the way. If your aircraft is that then you are on a brand new model plane which has the lot. Lucky you But of course i too am with you. Don't want to hear crying babys and kids on board it is the last thing i would do is stand and look at all of them. Not as if i would scream back at all of them. But you can imaging what it would be like stuck between kids and babys cram crying for the next 10 to 15 hours straight all the way to your destination. It be horrible by all means. Like a play ground from all im concern. But hey also... people with babys usually sticks with seats that has that yellow seat on the map of the aircraft.. where it has that bram for the baby against the wall. I could be wrong but then again you could imagine there is more then 1 family taking a baby on board...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.