Changing Finnair Flight Debacle

Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Angry Changing Finnair Flight Debacle

On Friday 14th August I attempted to change my finnair flight from Rome to Helsinki ref 6**XMM.
During the first attempt the price to change the ticket was 73Euros, which I charged to my Lloyds TSB account. When I tried to pay I got a message saying there was a problem and start over.
On the second attempt the price had changed to 153Euros and again when I attempted to pay with my Lloyds TSB account I was told there was a problem and to start over.
On the third attempt the price had changed again to 70Euros and on this occasion I used my HSBC credit card to complete the payment, which was successful.
On checking my account balance my Lloyds TSB account has been debited by 73.59 pounds (103euros) and my HSBC credit card account has been charged 20euros. So totally I have been charged 123euros when I was have been given three ticket prices of 70, 153 and 73 euros. What is going on? What price am I being charged? Can someone at Finnair explain this because I am at a loss to understand what is going on with their computer systems.

This is the second mess I have had with Finnair in less than two months.
On the first occasion their computer system automatically cancelled my daughter's flight with no notification given. I had to rebook flights which cost me more than 300euros. I have tried to contact Finnair, but that seems impossible. They have no office in Helsinki and everything is done on line, but I have not go a reply to my emails. Can anyone help me as to how I can get in contact with Finnair?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:33 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Assuming You are in the UK: http://www.finnair.com/gb/gb/customer-care

Other countries are available from the top panel. Telephone can be handy at times...
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:23 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
That you don't get an answer online in a decent time is normal. They are are saving on staff. And in addition the usual summer vacation period in Finland just ended (i.e. they had even less staff) so there are probably a lot of requests left from the last two months.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Thank you TTL.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Hi Jainzar,
Thank you for your reply. However a company like finnair should not be short staffed no matter what the circumstances. For a major world airline to be behaving the way finnair have been recently is simply not acceptable. If the little things do not get done soon the big things do not get done, then where does that lead. Think about it.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I don't think anyone disagrees with you, DaveHK. Jainzar was just stating the current way of life.

Did you call? Was your problem resolved?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Welcome to FT, DaveHK!

Finnair is not a "major wolrd airline". Finnair is a small European airline operating a niche market, namely good connections from secondary Euro-cities to Asia. They do this efficiently, but their IT sucks and their customer relations do, too.

On a normal flight, everything works smoothly and you get what you pay for. But when something goes wrong, AY is not the airline known to handle it well, I'm afraid.

However, since you paid with a card, you could always dispute the charges. Talk to your credit card company and ask them for advice. Clearly, you shouldn't have been billed twice and if you have a screenshot or confirmation stating dirrefent sums from those that AY charged, they can probably help you.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Hi Remy, I will call when back in Helsinki. I emailed my agent and they are attempting to follow up thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Hi ffay005,
thanks for this. Yes will followup on all possible avenues one I am back in Helsinki. I have to agree their IT is just unbelievable. What really amazes me is that Finland is supposedly one of the more advanced IT countries, but this certainly does not apply to finnair. I had a problem with BA 15 years ago and I swore I would never fly with them again and I never have. Finnair is now nearing that.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:33 am

Just having any problem with BA flights will make Finnair feel good again

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.