Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Yes, I live 10km from HEL, HEM is pretty much across the road. The storm was quite harsh, but short.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by Karjaluokka
Hola!
Could you fellow FT:kers kindly share your experiences regarding the OW lounge at ARL;
is there any decent food beeing served around 4 p.? Thanks in advance!
My previous estimation about the food offerings at a time wasn't correct, so here is how it really is:
5:15 - 11:00 Breakfast buffet
11:00 - 18:30 Lunch buffet
18:30 - 21:00 Cheese buffet

That means you'll not be left hungry around 4pm.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:22 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
There is a wiki about outstation lounges:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...lounges-4.html

(I added on22cz's timetable to the wiki, assuming we are talking about ARN T2 Aurora lounge?)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by on22cz
My previous estimation about the food offerings at a time wasn't correct, so here is how it really is:
5:15 - 11:00 Breakfast buffet
11:00 - 18:30 Lunch buffet
18:30 - 21:00 Cheese buffet

That means you'll not be left hungry around 4pm.
in addition to the best food offerings out of the Arlanda lounges, Aurora Lounge has really good beer, Sleepy Bulldog Pale Ale from tap. This is without a doubt my favourite lounge at Arlanda ahead of the SAS Gold Lounge or Arlanda Lounge in Terminal 5.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by intuition
There is a wiki about outstation lounges:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...lounges-4.html

(I added on22cz's timetable to the wiki, assuming we are talking about ARN T2 Aurora lounge?)
Yes, the timetable is from Aurora at ARN T2. Thanks for adding it to the right place!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:50 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Map-nerdy höpö

Someone commented on the Airport expansion thread that the airport had been expanded with a series more or less well thought through partial expansions, I was interested in knowing more about the timeline.
I am kind of a map nerd too, and as I've also served a few years on a city planning board, I couldn't really stop myself after finding Vanda city's open map and orto-photo resources. Here goes!

In the 1954 photo, the "reclining highrise" is all there is.
Also, one can easily see the road to Seutula/Sjöskog, and the airport is built ontop of if (giving birth to the nickname 'Sjöskog airport'). In the '54 version, the road is just doing a detour south of the runway, and you can travel to Sjöskog while getting a free tour of the facilities!

To the north east, draining work is being done in preparation for the second runway. In the intersection of the runways, the Byända farm is still standing, bereft of all its land (you can easily identify it by overlaying the 1939 Socken map). Perhaps the main building of the farm was spared to house workers during the construction?
The Stubbkulle farm is long gone, it and its lands are buried under the first runway.
(And what great names for these two farms; "Stumphump farm" and "Village End farm"!)

A large collection of apartment blocks (I'm guessing built in the late 40's), and an oval (race track?!) can be seen in the area where T1 will be built 40 years later.

By 1976 the airport layout really makes sense, with the new "majestic" departure hall finished, with a new center of gravity and with parking right outside (not a lot of cars though...). All the apartment blocks are gone, together with all the farms, but the "reclining highrise" is still there, in modified form.
The first runway is extended to the south, and the old trusty detour to Sjöskog is ... well just an even longer detour now! (Technically, what later will be known as Pakkalantie/Backasvägen has taken on the official role of connecting to Sjöskog)

By 1986, a minor expansion of the west wing can be seen. The runway needs even more space to the south, and Sjöskogsvägen gets yet an even longer detour to the south.

In 1998 a nice collection of MD80s is parked outside T2. Also, the new T1 is ready and the airport layout starts to feel pretty squeezed. The new entrance in the corner is under construction and bus stops and the ramps are encroaching on parking space - the terminal-near parking is almost gone at this point.

The old trusted detour to Sjöskog is now a road to nowhere, the old road has been converted to an internal service road, as ground works has started for the third runway.

By 2001 the third runways is well underway. Now the second best detour to Sjöskog meets the same destiny as the first one. This is because the third runway is built with an southerly offset to the first, as it otherwise wouldn't fit inside Vanda's jurisdiction on the north end! Which in turn means it is built ontop of Backasvägen, which quickly gets converted to .. you guessed! An internal service road, 'Backas serviceväg'.

By 2004 the west wing is getting wider.
But how can we now connect "Sjöskog" airport with Sjöskog?! Cue Dickursbyvägen.
And by the way, now when Viinikanmätsä area is expanding with a DHL-terminal, that old Backasvägen we closed a few years ago would have been handy. OK, let's build a new one, immediately next to the old one, but outside the airport fence!

Enough with the roads! Isn't it time for another terminal expansion?! Indeed!
By 2007 west wing expansion is underway, do notice the world record in longest jetbridge to serve gate 33!

But wait, what about the tiny spot behind the WTC building where lazy staffers can park? Let's put a Hilton there. Done!

Last edited by intuition; Aug 14, 2017 at 3:28 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
a nice collection of MD11s is parked outside T2
I can see only one MD-11 (at gate 25). You mean MD-80?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:27 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Ah sorry, MD-80 of course!

Did you ever walk that crazy jetbridge to G33?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:37 pm

Did you ever walk that crazy jetbridge to G33?
Who? Me? Yes I did.
Once I was going to BKK (plane was OH-LGG) and our president (Finland, not FT ) walked before me to the airplane in that looooong tube 33.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Altogether 150 meters, it seems. Rather long indeed
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:58 pm

Here some photos from 6/2007 from that tube. LGG is going to DEL here.
Attached Images    
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:12 pm

Let's take few more höpöhöpö from those golden days and MD-11. LGG got op-up from HEL.
And most important thing was Salmiakki in C.

Nice IFE in OH-LGE.
Attached Images     
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Salmiakki, G&T and portable DVD-player (r.i.p). This is priceless!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by aama
Salmiakki, G&T and portable DVD-player (r.i.p). This is priceless!
Yes, that was a place on the top of the world.

And now we dont have garlic bread, no Salmiakki, no toothpicks in plastic and no MD-11.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Yes, that was a place on the top of the world.

And now we dont have garlic bread, no Salmiakki, no toothpicks in plastic and no MD-11.
The things I miss here are the garlic bread (I remember it every time they come with the bread basket) and the small pack of toothpicks. I still have one of those packs in my bathroom...

HEL-DEL 6:20, that's equivalent to HEL-LPA on A32B!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.