Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by intuition
Neither did I. I didn't even think along these lines until reading that article. Now I am unsure what to think. My reasoning is:

[...]

c) For the first time (I've ever seen) he acknowledged that longhaul J isn't sold to businessmen anymore. "We have a lot of tourists that we carry, not so much business people on many our routes. It looks like there’s a segment where the tourists want to be in business."
So has Finnair ever been able to target such a group without getting into low prices? And has Finnair any other way of reaching low prices besides unbundling?
The question was about the leisure routes and I think he is right there.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by Jainzar
The question was about the leisure routes and I think he is right there.
Yes, several new scheduled LH leisure routes coming next winter: PVR Mexico, HAV Cuba, POP Dominican Rep, GOI India
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:38 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Those are the old style aurinkomatkat destinations. I might be wrong, but I think most of AY core destinations are leisure routes. I guess all three Thai destinations, HAN, XIY, CKG, CAN and a few other chinese ones are to be counted as upheld by tourists (europeean and/or asian). Since after the joint ventures appeared, the business-heavy routes are mostly "outside" of AY core operations these days, n'est-ce pas?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Those are the old style aurinkomatkat destinations. I might be wrong, but I think most of AY core destinations are leisure routes. I guess all three Thai destinations, HAN, XIY, CKG, CAN and a few other chinese ones are to be counted as upheld by tourists (europeean and/or asian). Since after the joint ventures appeared, the business-heavy routes are mostly "outside" of AY core operations these days, n'est-ce pas?
Not sure I entirely agree with this analysis of what constititutes AY's core business nowadays. It also seems a bit of an exaggeration to say that most of their core routes are leisure routes. HAN was axed years ago, but I do agree that Thai destinations, CKG, CAN and XIY serve mostly tourists - don't know, however, what other Chinese tourist-heavy routes there would be.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
At least for me BKK is a work destination - in the fron of the bus there are also sombrero types, but surpisingly many European business types.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
I notice the travel season. Last week my Saturday morning flight was already a week prior only available in Pro and on my return date next week Finnair doesn't even sell tickets anymore in Y for any of the two flights then.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:54 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast
Not sure I entirely agree with this analysis of what constititutes AY's core business nowadays. ...
Yes, it was an exaggeration on my part.
I didn't lead my reasoning to a conclusion, but I was aiming towards saying that if AY keeps on adding aurinkomatkat destinations and are indeed following through on the Asian strategy (secondary cities in china) the dependence on "tourism" (whatever the definition is) is going to get higher.

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
At least for me BKK is a work destination - in the fron of the bus there are also sombrero types, but surpisingly many European business types.
BKK is a decent AUS connection point, so that would drive some demand.
Isn't BKK one of those destinations that offers a lot of update availability? If so that indicates J demand is not that high.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:00 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Finnair published their "strategy review" today and this sentence was a bit odd to me.

Finnair continues to focus on customer experience and aims to nearly double its 2016 ancillary revenues by 2020.
Is this really meant to be one sentence with 2 main parts having causal connection?! "Through their continued focus on customer experience they will reach the goal of double ancillary revenue... "

I really don't want any more "customer experience" right now. I am having my hands full with the website.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:30 pm
R2

Is this really meant to be one sentence with 2 main parts having causal connection?! "Through their continued focus on customer experience they will reach the goal of double ancillary revenue... "
Sadly, I believe that is exactly what they mean. Customer experience refers to everything that used to be included in the ticket price ten years ago (luggage allowance, seat selection, drinks, meals, newspapers etc). They will charge extra for all of these and more in the future. This is the LCC strategy AY have chosen. The good news for us customers is that ticket prices are lower than 10-20 years ago.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by R2
Sadly, I believe that is exactly what they mean. Customer experience refers to everything that used to be included in the ticket price ten years ago (luggage allowance, seat selection, drinks, meals, newspapers etc). They will charge extra for all of these and more in the future. This is the LCC strategy AY have chosen. The good news for us customers is that ticket prices are lower than 10-20 years ago.
Sadly, I agree.

OTOH they already do charge for most everything. Starting point is Light, if you need luggage, either buy it, or go Basic (+20-30€), 3€ for a newspaper, meal is for purchase. What can they still charge for? Seat selection and taken to the extreme, airport checkin á la Ryanair. Worst case scenario - Light not earning miles at other OW FFPs. I don't think they would go so low as to exclude fares from AY+ earning.

They can go down this road as long as FR or EZY doesn't appear at HEL. DY is not that low cost anymore, they seem to be content with the duopoly on the gravy train routes.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:35 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

If "experience" equals "chargeable" They can easily charge for IFE.
They can "improve" the product by selling prio security that list goes on.

The thing is: if this is going to work they must expect to be able to lower ticket prices LESS than the average purchase. Otherwise this is "Ebberöds bank".
Remove everything that was included in the ticket then average pekka will buy back maybe 20%. So if a stripped off ticket is sold for 200 less, the buy ack of 20% shoul equal 200. Which means buyback of 50% will actually raise the price by 300...
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
OTOH they already do charge for most everything.
Not on long haul. There they could charge for meals and luggage. They could also reduce seat width and pitch to the same level that charter airlines have.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

aaaand we stop this discussion here, before AY runs with these ideas...
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
aaaand we stop this discussion here, before AY runs with these ideas...
I'm sure all airlines will do this anyway. Polarisation of societies etc. Let's just fly J.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by cistavoda
I'm sure all airlines will do this anyway. Polarisation of societies etc. Let's just fly J.
Until they start unbundling J as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.