Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
Are we getting new(less congested) lounge with the upcoming expansions? Cant really seem to find too much information on the expansions online.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Jorma
Are we getting new(less congested) lounge with the upcoming expansions? Cant really seem to find too much information on the expansions online.
The new "South Wing" opening this summer doesn't provide any new lounge space. However, I'd think the bigger expansion will.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:48 am

Today at AY52 - passing Slow SwissAir A340 (LX189)

Must have been somewhere close to the Mongolian - Russian border.

Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
also demonstrating the difference in cruising altitude between the two types of aircraft
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:59 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It is a very nice shot. I recently was on a similar overtake but had only a crappy stupid-phone and felt unhappy I couldn't get the shot.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Co-worker (no status) bought a checked baggage today for upcoming HEL-EUR Light ticket and I was really astonished that it's 20EUR one-way! No wonder people try to avoid it as much as possible..
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Furry
Co-worker (no status) bought a checked baggage today for upcoming HEL-EUR Light ticket and I was really astonished that it's 20EUR one-way! No wonder people try to avoid it as much as possible..
I think the price is ok. There are many airlines charging more for the first bag.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I think the price is ok. There are many airlines charging more for the first bag.
Sitting in my ivory tower where I never in my life had to pay for extras it's much

But buying a cheapo campaign/light ticket to Europe buying a bag for round trip can be 20-30% of the ticket price.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Indeed. For example SAS charges 30 EUR for the first bag (one-way).
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
20 EUR for the first bag is in the same price range as the competition but where AY stands out is that it also costs 20 EUR for the 2nd and 3rd extra bag if bought online, and 30 EUR per bag at the airport up to 10 bags. On most airlines, the 2nd extra bag is much more expensive. All in all, you can pay 3*20+7*30 = 270 EUR to carry 10 bags of 23 Kg on a light ticket, extremely competitive price if you need to move a lot of stuffs. If you upgrade to biz with points/vouchers or pay for it cash, then you pay 210 EUR extra to carry a total of 10*32 Kg!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:46 am

Interview about cracking chinese market
https://skift.com/2017/06/19/ceo-int...hinese-market/
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:28 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Interesting how he dodge the question about the line between AY and LCC. "I am sure we will see unbundling on longhaul soon" and when questioned about 4-class systen on shorthaul "there will surely be a very low cost section in the back of legacy carriers plane, and in front of that something else".
Purposedly avoided terms like business...

Anyone hoping for the AY SH J to stay or even improve will be disappointed. And how long before AY LH J saver will be 100% (or less), no bags and no food?

Last edited by intuition; Jun 21, 2017 at 4:35 am
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by intuition
Anyone hoping for the AY SH J to stay or even improve will be disappointed. And how long before AY LH J saver will be 100% (or less), no bags and no food?
I don't believe these two things will happen.

SH J exists only because of the connecting market, and while AY gains in having short flights to Asia, it consequently loses on having long connecting flights in Europe compared to its competitors. Therefore, one would definitely assume that their J pax require something better than a Y+ product for their ~3 hour connecting flights.

Or am I wrong? Remember those "Comfort Class" designations we've seen emerging... (As for improvement, I'm sure there won't be any. But they should make their SH J marketing more realistic.)

A LH J with no food would be too difficult to implement. It would require a cabin of its own (minicabin?), and if they do that, they might as well try and cram more seats in that J-saver cabin, thus making it a real Y+ akin to what BA is offering. Which, in fact, would not be a bad idea at all IMHO.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005
I don't believe these two things will happen.
Neither did I. I didn't even think along these lines until reading that article. Now I am unsure what to think. My reasoning is:

a) SK clearly got away with removing shorthaul J and is doing "fine". SK is also a hub/spoke carrier and also must feed their CPH hub with a lot of connecting pax. It isn't a true apples-apples comparison, longhaul plays a smaller role in SK's network than AY's, but we all know that AY copies a lot from SK these days.
What Sk is doing on shorthaul can't even be described as economy-extra, it is a std econ pitch with no empty middle-seat and foodwise they are offering a tunnbrödsrulle (now in a stupid cube, but still basically no real food, just snacks)
Filling this "premium" cabin at 200€ each without spending a dime on pax must make every CEO jealous.

b) When Vuaramo is asked about first/econ-extra/econ/econ-basisc he responds without even mentioning the word business (or first for that matter). He also responds without a word about Finnair's offer.
To me, such a question is a perfect opportunity to talk about how your own airline sets itself apart from the competition, so why didn't he say something about that? In the past there have always been an assurance how Finnair offers something else, something extra, something that gives
Now he just said, without mentioning Finnair at all, airlines in europe will soon offer one marsuhäkki class, and at least one class above that. So the bar is set pretty low.

c) For the first time (I've ever seen) he acknowledged that longhaul J isn't sold to businessmen anymore. "We have a lot of tourists that we carry, not so much business people on many our routes. It looks like there’s a segment where the tourists want to be in business."
So has Finnair ever been able to target such a group without getting into low prices? And has Finnair any other way of reaching low prices besides unbundling?

d) Vauramo explicitly says he is anticipating some airlines starting to unbundle longhaul fares soon. Let's say that means SK (they have already responded to DY/D8 competition this way). Then you have 2 carriers based in scandinavia doing this. That is a pretty large part of AY main European market.
So is AY going to react by also unbundle something or are they going to compete by offering "quality"? Remember that QR is the hallmark and is taking their well-deserved bite of the OSL/ARN/CPH/HEL market.
Can AY be cheaper than DY? Can AY be better than QR? It is a no on both questions, but I reckon they will lean towards the former.

Last edited by intuition; Jun 21, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:13 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Yesterday marked the 70th anniversary of first Finnair flight with flight attendants. This article is in Finnish, but has plenty of pictures plus a video with their uniforms throughout the years:

http://www.is.fi/matkat/art-2000005264063.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.