Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Courmisch
For the Schengen lounge, it's more give and take: remove the Silvers, but increase the number of Golds. So there I wouldn't dare take a bet.
I would take a small wager, that the number of Silvers are way higher than the extra number of Golds. The numbers increase marginally due to lowered thresholds - how many pax are there making over 80k but below 90k today? The gifted cards will increase again marginally the number of Golds - how many Plats are out there?*

* Actually I wanted to ask Johanna these figures (how many members, what is the elite distribution?) yesterday, but we ran out of time
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:58 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger

Ah, and BA uses the almost@home lounge, which I find much cozier than the AY lounges, mainly because they are never crowded.
Which is equally full as it also caters for JL and TK - all departing at more or less the same time.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 3:19 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by TPJ
Which is equally full as it also caters for JL and TK - all departing at more or less the same time.
Nowadays almost@home also caters for SU, which I discovered last night.

Man, I had seven refills of wine on HEL-SVO. Tomorrow I continue to HKG, let's see if I survive that...
Old Apr 19, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
The gifted cards will increase again marginally the number of Golds - how many Plats are out there?
And how many of those gifted Golds will actually use the services often enough to crowd them? If they were frequent fliers, then they would have status already and crowd the lounge anyway.

I think the Gold gift is a perfect example of giving out something that is truly valuable to the receiver but ends up costing AY very little.

Let's say the Plat travels frequently and sometimes brings the spouse along. When they travel together, the spouse can enjoy the benefits like lounge access or prio security. For those few times a year when the spouse might fly on their own, they can now enjoy (most of) the same perks thanks to the gifted Gold card, which will be nice for the customer, but the overall increase in costs for AY is minimal.

A similar "great value at no cost" perk would certainly be the limited same-day change policy that we suggested in the meeting with AY loyalty team. Say AY would have a limited policy allowing Golds and Plats to change their ticket to an earlier flight at the airport, on the day of travel, with hand luggage only, providing there is space, it would be a really nice gesture that would have virtually no cost effects – save for those random few who would risk it and always book the cheapest flights, counting on the possibility to change them at last minute. I for one would never count on that – most flights seem to be very full so it'd really be a hit-and-miss, too often a miss.

This could maybe be tested for some destinations only, say OUL, ARN, LHR, CDG. They all face direct competition from Norwegian (and BA), so by introducing this same-day change system, AY might even be able to attract more customers.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by ffay005
This could maybe be tested for some destinations only, say OUL, ARN, LHR, CDG. They all face direct competition from Norwegian (and BA), so by introducing this same-day change system, AY might even be able to attract more customers.
I think those would actually be some of the worst destinations to implement it on. There are so many flights that you're virtually guaranteed some earlier seat if you book the cheapest flight, and a minimal amount of experience will let you easily predict load factors for the perfect flight. I would definitely be counting on it.

I still think it would be a good idea when it's already known that the later flight will be delayed, though.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
If you want to know the amount of AY+ metal on your flight you can simply ask (especially when flying in J). I had on my leisure destination AGP 3 Plats, 2 Golds and 10 other Silvers on board. 16 out of roughly 180 pax.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heatsink
I think those would actually be some of the worst destinations to implement it on. There are so many flights that
That would make them viable. Destinations with 1 or 2 daily flights are not really making sense. Take BUD - 9:30 or 17:20 from HEL. Very few would go to the airport at 8 am in the hope of changing from the 5 pm flight. On the way back, even fewer.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:27 pm

That would make them viable. Destinations with 1 or 2 daily flights are not really making sense. Take BUD - 9:30 or 17:20 from HEL. Very few would go to the airport at 8 am in the hope of changing from the 5 pm flight. On the way back, even fewer.
While that's also true, I can guarantee that I'd be booking the cheapest flight home from Oulu every time if this became an option.

Looking at next Wednesday, for example, I could select the 20:55 flight home for 89 € (light) vs 241 € (pro). Then I'd try to get my meeting to end by 14:10 (152 € light), and if that flight's full I'd just get on the 15:30, and if that flight's full I'd just get on the 17:30...
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by heatsink
While that's also true, I can guarantee that I'd be booking the cheapest flight home from Oulu every time if this became an option.

Looking at next Wednesday, for example, I could select the 20:55 flight home for 89 € (light) vs 241 € (pro). Then I'd try to get my meeting to end by 14:10 (152 € light), and if that flight's full I'd just get on the 15:30, and if that flight's full I'd just get on the 17:30...
While I could understand that on own dime, I really wonder if you really would do that on company expense. Say, if you know that your meeting would end latest 16 (so that you would get on at least the 17:30 flight), would you really book that 20:55 flight due to its price and let your luck gamble if you can catch any of those earlier ones? Wow.

Anyway, I think this sameday change is anyway a great system which works great in North America and would be easy to implement so why not AY. If and if there really would be some people who started gaming with the lowest option, that number would be so infinitesimal I dare to say, that the merit of the sameday booking would far outweigh the small number of gamblers and it would be win-win for AY and customers IMHO.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:03 pm

Ok, I admit it was a bad example! I would not do this on a business trip
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by FFlash
While I could understand that on own dime, I really wonder if you really would do that on company expense. Say, if you know that your meeting would end latest 16 (so that you would get on at least the 17:30 flight), would you really book that 20:55 flight due to its price and let your luck gamble if you can catch any of those earlier ones? Wow.

Anyway, I think this sameday change is anyway a great system which works great in North America and would be easy to implement so why not AY. If and if there really would be some people who started gaming with the lowest option, that number would be so infinitesimal I dare to say, that the merit of the sameday booking would far outweigh the small number of gamblers and it would be win-win for AY and customers IMHO.
Since I'm not Heatsink, I really cannot predict what he would or would not do. But somehow I would find it unlikely that someone who flies a lot would really start to gamble like this even if they are paying out of their own pocket. It might be fun to try it out, but to experience multiple failures sounds like a nightmare not to be relived. Think about it: you go to the airport at noon, hoping to catch an early flight. No seats. You wait for the next one. Same story. The same happens over and over again until the very last flight, for which you have that seat (which was perhaps a whopping €80 cheaper), actually departs. Now you've spent maybe eight hours at the airport for nothing...

I think the biggest loophole here would be those few pax who know some routes so well that they can accurately predict loads and "know" when to buy a cheaper later flight but board an earlier, not full one instead. This loophole obviously would cost AY some money, but probably a lot less than what will be gained because other pax chose AY in the first place only or mainly due to this perk that their competitors don't offer.
Old May 14, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Finnair is looking for a Head of Loalty Operations!

We are now looking for a competent and innovative

Head of Loyalty Operations

to drive and develop FinnairPlus loyalty program further. Head of Loyalty Operations is also responsible for the financial performance of the loyalty program and leads a team of 4 loyalty professionals. The position reports to VP Brand, Marketing & Customer Loyalty.

Main responsibilities:

Leading and developing the loyalty team
Managing and developing FinnairPlus program, e.g. program structure, loyalty offering and partnership strategy
Analyzing and optimizing loyalty program revenue generation, increasing profitability and steering investments
Cross functional co-operation and engagement of key decision makers in loyalty related question
Partnership management and negotiations with the partnership team

Requirements:

Proven track record in managing and developing extensive loyalty programs, e.g. in airline, hotel or banking industry
Good leadership skills and ability to manage a team of experts
Experienced with advanced loyalty business / partnership models
Ability to see the big picture and work on long-term strategies
Ability to create business cases and innovative business models
Knowledge of CRM systems
Energetic, persistent and a strong team player
Anybody?
Old May 14, 2016, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is Johanna out?
Old May 14, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Is Johanna out?
Nope, Johanna is now VP Brand, Marketing & Customer Loyalty and they're apparently looking for someone to replace her past position as the head of loyalty.
Old May 14, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by lkrt
Finnair is looking for a Head of Loalty Operations!

Anybody?
Oh well, I might volunteer for that if they paid more than what I earn nowadays
In cash. Not in miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.