Two FF numbers in Finnair bookings

Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY+Plat
Two FF numbers in Finnair bookings

I am trying to build status in AY. Currently I have OW sapphire with another airlines. I was wondering if it possible to put different FF numbers in FQTV and FQTS fields in finnair bookings so that I can accumulate miles on AY and at the same time can use the status from the other for various benefits.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Well I have had two FF numbers on a Finnair booking, but it didn't work out as you'd like.

I was using Finnair points to upgrade, and BA Emerald to collect points. They were both on the booking, but the AY statusless number came up on the BP. Had to have it manually changed at the check in desk.

I suppose you would be able to use your benefits by presenting the card, and saying you would like to collect the points for your other account. Should be allowed, but YMMV with some agents.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:11 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I thought respecting FQTV and FQTS was a Star alliance thing?
Anyway, I would do like flythe96flag suggests and put the earning program on the booking and flash card for perks. I guess it is not a perfect solution and it sometimes will fail, but better then to fail at getting the perks than failing the status miles.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
You will fail at getting free seating and premium seating if you don't put the status on the booking though. (Of course, if flying in J, status perks are mostly irrelevant.)
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:14 am

Upgrading with AY points and earning miles and using status benefits (like the premium lounge and extra luggage) has only worked by the check-in desk or by email or phone. Sometimes the person have had to verify the possibility by consulting a supervisor. This indicates that the procedure is rather rare. Putting a *A FF number together with OWE number has been easiest when booking through ebookers. After that no problems getting to star lounge before a star alliance leg and to OW lounge before the OW flights. Don't remember how I managed to do that when booking a flight containing one Skyalliance coded leg through AY web page
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:36 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

It is possible to have 2 FFP numbers (FQTV and FQTS) in a Finnair booking (e-ticket number starting with 105).

I recently flew from HKG to Europe via HEL in Y on AY. I have status with Qantas, but wanted miles to be credited to my AAdvantage account.

I added my QF FFP number at the time of booking so I could select my seats in advance free of charge. At check-in I was given BPs with my QF FFP number which I used to access the QF and CX lounges in HKG (the BP for the onward flight from HEL had Priority Security and Group 1 boarding). At the boarding gate in HKG, I asked the gate agent to change my FFP number to my AAdvantage number, and I was given new BPs (for HKG-HEL as well as the connecting flight) both with my AA FFP number. The new BP for the latter sector had no Priority Security and Group 3 boarding instead

In HEL, I presented the BP for my onward flight + my QF FFP card to the agent at the entrance to the Premium Lounge in the non-Schengen area. The agent spent a bit of time typing some things on her computer and then returned the same onward flight BP (with my AA FFP number and Group 3 boarding).

I went to Manage My Booking on the AY, QF and QR websites, and discovered that on the AY website, only my AA FFP number is shown, but on the QF and QR websites, both my QF and AA FFP numbers are shown.

AY website:

QF website:

QR website:

On reflection, I think what probably happened was that the HEL lounge agent added my QF FFP number in the FQTS field of my booking, but did not print a new BP for me. I think the HKG gate agent simply removed my QF FFP number from the QFTV field and replaced it with my AA FFP number.

Miles for the HKG-HEL and the connecting flight were credited to my AAdvantage account within less than a week. No miles were credited to my QF account.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
I have just started to do this, and it seems like most agents at outstations are not used to the practice - so be prepared to spend some time at a desk. In HEL it seems to be a bit easier, especially at premium desks where they usually have senior staff.

I am OWE with BA, but because the Avios/TP:s are so crap (especially as I fly on Y-tickets with 100% to the AY FFP and 25% to BA) I would much rather also make AY Gold (OWS) - which I would with my current travel pattern.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
It is possible, and sometimes you see error messages related to duplicate FF# on the AY site. I have seen this when I upgrade with AY points and then retype in my AAdvantage number.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:56 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

I recently flew from London via Helsinki to Hong Kong.

Finnair's policy is to give extra checked baggage allowance to OWE and OWS members.

I am a QF OWS member, but wanted to credit points to my AAdvantage account (no status with AA).

At the check-in desk in LHR, the agent said that she had to delete my AA FFP number and enter my QF FFP number on my booking, otherwise her computer would show the standard baggage allowance (rather than the more generous baggage allowance for OWE/OWS) and she would have to charge me an excess baggage fee. As I didn't want to pay the excess baggage fee, I agreed to have the FFP in my booking changed from AA to QF, and I was given BPs with my QF FFP number. It appears to be the case that the computer system used by the the LHR ground handling agents isn't able to store/process more than one FFP number.

At the gate in LHR, I enquired with the agent if it was possible to change my FFP number from QF to AA. After he deleted my QF FFP number in his system and replaced it with my AA number, a message popped up on his screen saying that he would have to charge me an excess baggage fee as the change in FFP number automatically led to the recalculation of my baggage allowance (I wasn't expecting the computer system at the gate to do this, as I had already checked in my bags). As a result, I kept my QF FFP number.

During transit in Helsinki, I asked the gate agent for the HEL-HKG flight if he could change my FFP number from QF to AA. He was really friendly and was able to do so without any problem. No message on his computer popped up regarding a change in baggage allowance/excess fee.

Points from the LHR-HEL flight have posted to my QF FFP account, and points from the HEL-HKG flight have posted to my AA FFP account.

This episode leads me to think that the recalculation of baggage allowance/excess fee is probably a feature of the LHR ground handling agents' system, rather than the Finnair computer system? I just wanted to share my experience at LHR so that anyone planning to earn points with one FFP and make use of status with another FFP to benefit from the extra checked baggage allowance at LHR will be aware that this may be slightly problematic. Using status with the other FFP for other benefits (such as advance seat reservations and lounge access) shouldn't be an issue though.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by paul00
I recently flew from London via Helsinki to Hong Kong.

Finnair's policy is to give extra checked baggage allowance to OWE and OWS members.

I am a QF OWS member, but wanted to credit points to my AAdvantage account (no status with AA).

At the check-in desk in LHR, the agent said that she had to delete my AA FFP number and enter my QF FFP number on my booking, otherwise her computer would show the standard baggage allowance (rather than the more generous baggage allowance for OWE/OWS) and she would have to charge me an excess baggage fee. As I didn't want to pay the excess baggage fee, I agreed to have the FFP in my booking changed from AA to QF, and I was given BPs with my QF FFP number. It appears to be the case that the computer system used by the the LHR ground handling agents isn't able to store/process more than one FFP number.

At the gate in LHR, I enquired with the agent if it was possible to change my FFP number from QF to AA. After he deleted my QF FFP number in his system and replaced it with my AA number, a message popped up on his screen saying that he would have to charge me an excess baggage fee as the change in FFP number automatically led to the recalculation of my baggage allowance (I wasn't expecting the computer system at the gate to do this, as I had already checked in my bags). As a result, I kept my QF FFP number.
I just came from a check-in with the same experience at ARN - never had this problem in HEL, despite doing it regularily.

The check-in agent faced the same message and told me I couldn't use status benefits from another program than the one I was crediting. I politely informed him that I could, and regularily did, and he continued to insist to put a baggage fee on me. I let him change to BA and asked him to change it after processing the bags - when he was faced with the same issue again. He was by this time rather unfriendly, but his supervisor managing the booth next to him said "override it and note fqtv with his number" and the situation was solved.

It appears that some handling companies (Menzies at ARN) have a computer system that cannot handle this correctly.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by remymartin
It is possible, and sometimes you see error messages related to duplicate FF# on the AY site. I have seen this when I upgrade with AY points and then retype in my AAdvantage number.
I'm planning to do this - upgrade with AY points (no AY status) and then change back to my BA Bold number in the booking for both status and mileage credit - does that work?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:29 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by harri
I'm planning to do this - upgrade with AY points (no AY status) and then change back to my BA Bold number in the booking for both status and mileage credit - does that work?
It works. MMB sometimes shows some error and might not show the BA number but at least in OLCI it has always worked like it should.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by skba1
It appears that some handling companies (Menzies at ARN) have a computer system that cannot handle this correctly.
I guess almost all stations are using the same Altea DC CM, than in HEL.

(Some exceptions are for example DBV and PSA and other "leisure" destinations that are using own local "third party" DCS.)

Last edited by esledo; Sep 14, 2015 at 3:14 am
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HJP
It works. MMB sometimes shows some error and might not show the BA number but at least in OLCI it has always worked like it should.
Great thanks I'll give it a try ^
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY+Plat
Well...tried myself today at HEL, the agent tried to put my AY number in FQTV field several times without success. She told that AB gold was too strong and did not allow to change. She then removed the AB number and entered AY, but then BP did not show my status. I kept it like that and showed AB card for lounge and for security.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.