Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Hand baggage enforcement tightening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hand baggage enforcement tightening?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by intuition
Still - there is absolutely no active communication from Finnair that they have changed baggage allowance. Not even to us with previous purchased tickets under the old allowance.
There is: AY+ account status email yesterday informed also of changes on hand luggage allowances.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by ffay005
I just downloaded the latest update. Doesn't help. Carry on is 1+1 15kg but checked bags vary: HEL-SIN in J(F) shows 2 pc, HEL-TSE in Y 3 pc, HEL-SFO "Not known for this flight", HEL-LHR J(F) 2 pc
Same here:
3 different flights in Light booked and without status after upgrade the allowance shows as: 2 pc, 0 pc and 1 pc.

And it is a least somewhat consistent: if I am in the same booking I have the same allowance plus status allowance on top.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:19 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
There is: AY+ account status email yesterday informed also of changes on hand luggage allowances.
You are correct! I missed that.
And for once the text is pretty clear to - they admit they have lowered the number of pieces, ie it is not just presented as an "enhancement".
Old May 19, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Honestly, I never see anybody enter a plane lugging 2 full-size carry-on bags. I'm really happy about the extra 5 kg. I almost always travel with hand-luggage only, and well, I'm female... so I am pretty good at stuffing my bag to the max. And my work handbag weighs a ton, too.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:14 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Changes to carry-on postponed

Unlike previously announced, the carry-on baggage policy renewal will not come into effect until 22 June. Until then, the old policy of two pieces of carry-on baggage plus one personal item (maximum combined weight 10 kg) applies.
So now it looks like they ran into some issues with the badly communicated policy and are giving a 2 months notice.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
The carry-on baggage comms is not consistent at all:

The info email said 1 piece / 15 kg 22 June onwards.
Web site says 2 pieces / 10 kg
Boarding pass (travel 7 July) says 1 piece / 10 kg
"Lentosi Kohteeseen " (flight specific, travel 18 August) email says as a plat ("Finnair Platinum -tason etusi") I can take 1 piece / 8kg.

Contacted CS on chat, he said the 15kg change has been postponed to an unknown future date. According to him the 2 pieces /10 kg is still valid. Sounds to me like they quietly cancelled the change.

Left online feedback regarding the comms, let's see if I hear anything from them.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:48 am
Moderator, Finnair

Interesting, "postponed to unknown date".
I wonder if customer feedback was the reason? I'd assume some of the corporate customers has some leverage in such a policy change if they disliked it.
The only other thing I can think of is a technical issue, like the weight somehow would exceed plane allowances and they didn't do the calculations before announcing it.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by intuition
Interesting, "postponed to unknown date".
I wonder if customer feedback was the reason? I'd assume some of the corporate customers has some leverage in such a policy change if they disliked it.
Then I would still love to see a raise of the combined weight limit to 15kg. No because I need it often but more to avoid issues.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:53 am
Moderator, Finnair

Yes, in theory the 10KG limit makes the "2 PC" allowance pointless. Even a lightweight roll-aboard weights over 2kg, so bringing 2 bags would even empty take up ≈50% of that allowance. In practice though, 2PC/10KG is better than 1PC/15KG as they rarely enforce the weight limit.

I am sligtly torn - I'd like to see an end to 2PC as space actually is a problem on some shorthauls. But I also regularly carry a backpack too, and that would be disalowed under 1PC/15KG rule.
If they allowed the "personal item" to be larger, like a typical small backpack, and if yellow-tagging was made to work, then I'd be happy (-ier) with the 1PC 15KG rule.

But it seems they halted this anyway.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I don't know the exact rules for "personal item" but my RedOxx Miniboss qualifies as such on all airines I flew and I can pack it for 2-3 nights without any problems. That and a two-wheeler Rimowa is good for a week.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

I guess they don't really enforce this either, but I've read it as small item, like ladies purse or umbrella or briefcase, so typically smaller than 20x30x2
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:39 am

It is time for AY to really start enforcing the carry on limits, or at least be more serious with their current limits. I flew from CPH the other night, and the boarding procedure more reminds me of a Italian domestic Ryanair.
People tend to bring too much stuff, only because they have bought a light ticket. If you are travelling light it is supposed to be light for god sake. If you have been away for a week on a leisure trip you simple cannot be light.
Hell, people are allowed to board with bags that don't fit in the overhead compartment. It makes me sick watching the flight attendants runnning around with those over sized bags since they can't close the hatches.
It would been easy reducing the boarding time with app. 10 minutes, if the "light" rules were even followed.
I think the light ticket needs to be re-invented. At the moment everybody travels "light" even if they are far from light, just to save their 20€. Make the check-in bag free if you have a return ticket for +4 days or something.
A check-in bag is not a problem if your are going to be away for some time, it doesn't take many minutes to pick it up at the belt. Especially if you are on a leisure trip, you have all the time on earth to stop by the belt and pick up your over stuffed idiot bag.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by seldomrfly
It is time for AY to really start enforcing the carry on limits, or at least be more serious with their current limits. I flew from CPH the other night, and the boarding procedure more reminds me of a Italian domestic Ryanair.
I couldn't agree more, it is often like a total zoo, there seems to be no control whatsoever on the amount of baggage people are allowed take to the cabin. I suggest you write feedback to Finnair of the issue, I've done it and I hope if many enough complain about it, perhaps they begin to understand they really need to do something with it!
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
I couldn't agree more, it is often like a total zoo, there seems to be no control whatsoever on the amount of baggage people are allowed take to the cabin. I suggest you write feedback to Finnair of the issue, I've done it and I hope if many enough complain about it, perhaps they begin to understand they really need to do something with it!
I think I'll write them some feedback.
There are also some other issues they need to be reminded of. If AY are to maintain their positive traffic figures on the Asia routes they need to step up their service level for the long-haul travellers (in this case those connecting from CPH). IF AY have any intentions at all to compete with international carriers as EK, QR, SQ, CX or whatever they just have to do a little better. I hope and whish AYs positive growth also should be driven by anything else then tarveller growth in Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.