Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

6 Finnair longhauls in a week - reflections

6 Finnair longhauls in a week - reflections

Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: AA plat
Yeah, no problems with upgrades happening, if they were upgrading elites and not just totally random pax - while keeping the service level constant.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:44 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by SPBanker
It seems to be an issue on select routes. I fly NRT, PEK and HKG pretty often. None of this funny stuff on those routes.
Agreed, it is on certain routes and/or certain seasons.
In theory, this is why they have configured their aircraft with different sized Y cabins, so they can match capacity to demand.
In practice, it doesn't work. The limited sized fleet makes it difficult to match and they refuse to adjust price of J cabin to meet low demand. Current doctrine states they rather oversell Y at low prices than sell existing J-capacity at low prices.

Originally Posted by Courmisch
But that's just the (5) elites. Even if there were zero inconvenienced passengers and zero Pro/flex passengers, there must have been some AY+Basic with tier points (at least from their previous HEL-KIX). That was my point.

I suspect an IT problem here. The system likely does not provide useful data about non-elites. I have not been able to look very closely at it, but from what I saw, only elites are explicitly flagged on the computers at the gate.
I always thought gate agents chose op-ups - based on how strange they chose who to upgrade. But on one onversold CKG flight, I overheard conversion between a couple and gate agent. AY had split the couple by op-up-ing only one of them and the couple didn't want to accept the upgrade. In despair agent kept repeating "the computer chooses, we can't do anything about it" and "it is a better seat".
(Actually, they split 2 couples on that flight, that's how bizarre it gets.)

Originally Posted by delerium
Yeah, no problems with upgrades happening, if they were upgrading elites and not just totally random pax - while keeping the service level constant.
In theory I agree, but in reality there are some issues even if they do op-up by a strict order. If they keep overselling massively on certain routes and/or seasons, op-up will be a safe bet and elites will just stop buying J tickets.

Last edited by intuition; Jun 30, 2015 at 2:54 am
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:06 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by intuition
I always thought gate agents chose op-ups
Yesterday, the gate agent at Arlanda specifically said "you have been upgraded to business", not "we have upgraded you to business". And it would be odd for non-Finnair ground staff to deal with this, Admittedly, I could just be overinterpreting.

However, I was once upgraded at HKG. The transfer desk agent could not believe it when I said "oh I got upgraded", and checked three times that my passport, customer number and ticket matched. So it definitely was not his doing!

(...) on one onversold CKG flight, I overheard conversion between a couple and gate agent [who] kept repeating "the computer chooses, we can't do anything about it" and "it is a better seat".
Yeah, I think it's normally done by AY, not gate staff. I guess their upgrade algorithm is under-implemented.

In theory I agree, but in reality there are some issues even if they do op-up by a strict order. If they keep overselling massively on certain routes and/or seasons, op-up will be a safe bet and elites will just stop buying J tickets.
I doubt that. Most passengers who can afford to buy J, will continue to do so (unlike people on FlyerTalk). And for passengers with economy travel policies, then higher chances of upgrades is actually making the loyalty program work.

That said, it would seem to me that elites do get upgrades before status-less. It just so happens that on some routes, there are not enough elites to upgrade.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:07 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Yesterday, the gate agent at Arlanda specifically said "you have been upgraded to business", not "we have upgraded you to business". And it would be odd for non-Finnair ground staff to deal with this, Admittedly, I could just be overinterpreting.
Last month on HEL-CDG flight a gate agent congratulated me that I have been upgraded to J. This was very strange because I had upgraded myself earlier already with points. I told this to the agent who just replied: "Oh, really?" On the same flight, one couple was split because of the op-up.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:05 pm

I always thought gate agents chose op-ups - based on how strange they chose who to upgrade. But on one onversold CKG flight, I overheard conversion between a couple and gate agent. AY had split the couple by op-up-ing only one of them and the couple didn't want to accept the upgrade. In despair agent kept repeating "the computer chooses, we can't do anything about it" and "it is a better seat".
(Actually, they split 2 couples on that flight, that's how bizarre it gets.)

Yes, same thing with the split couple I referred to some posts ago.
The girl told me they tried to refuse the single upgrade, but agent just replied: Sorry, there is nothing I can do about it, if you want to sit together you have to wait til the next departure.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I'll gladly exchange seats, should someone need to sit in Y next to kin.

Incidentally, in my dark, non-frequent flyer days, I did turn down a l/h opup for this exact reason. #NeverAgain.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: AY+, Aeroplan, Club Accor Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
YYZ, ORD and JFK are now all served by LTS-LTU so no minicabin there.
My flight is showing 10 rows in business - Will that stick or will the equipment change? I booked into the main cabin but there are seats reserved in the mini cabin.

032 - yyz-hel 10/07/15
Old Jul 11, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (Lifetime Gold), HH Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I and better half are flying HEL-JFK (late Jul) and YYZ-HEL (early Aug) in Y on AA el cheapo ticket. Is there any chance for op-up on AA ticket assuming Y is oversold?
Old Jul 11, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by FinOWE
Is there any chance for op-up on AA ticket assuming Y is oversold?
I'd say and hope no. But, AY is known for inconsistency with their opups.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: AY+, Aeroplan, Club Accor Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by zz2008
My flight is showing 10 rows in business - Will that stick or will the equipment change? I booked into the main cabin but there are seats reserved in the mini cabin.

032 - yyz-hel 10/07/15
My YYZ - HEL bounce was on LTN.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Yes. They changed 297 seats configuration to XIY on 10th and today.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: AY Plus, Eurobonus, Flying Blue
Last May I discussed with an AY FA on a HEL-JFK flight about catering in J. I told about some disapointments on the long HEL-MIA flight in J during the winter. She had also served on one of these flights and told how embarrassed she was as the catering in J for the HEL-MIA-HEL flight was less than on a shorther HEL-JFK-HEL flight. On the return flight they were even out of champagne, as the inbound flight had cleared the outbound stocks.
Originally Posted by teme
Catering was a mess. No amuce bouche mentioined on the menu was served. Salad missed vinegrette, fish lacked the sauce. When asked for port with dessert, the purser just said "finished" (loppu suomeksi). We sat on a first row, by the way. Same thing with orange juice at breakfast. Cabin was very hot through out the flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.