Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Australia to Europe. citro's AY Travel Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair Australia to Europe. citro's AY Travel Questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:02 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I would suggest you stop worrying about business class seats, priority boarding arrangements and such until you have actually booked and paid for your flights.

Business class from Australia to Europe return will likely be around AU$6k+.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by nux
I would suggest you stop worrying about business class seats, priority boarding arrangements and such until you have actually booked and paid for your flights.

Closer to 5k in fact - last year I paid $4,567 (easy sum to remember), this year i paid around $5300 on QF/AY. (VN/AF can get you there and back for exactly $4,000 but with a looooong stop in HCM)

Citro, they can change your seats, especially if there is a change of aircraft, eg you take seat 1a and they change the plane to an old A340 where that seat doesn't exist.

And I agree with Nux, don't worry about the seats and boarding, it's a long time before you go.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux

Thats true.. I agree with you. Atm im only just having a look see whats there. As ive never flown business class before... And i want to know as much as i can if im going to pay something like that amount of money.

By all means im presume that all business class seats are the same quality and spaceious as every seat on business class or unless its better a single seat on its own or having 2 seats together in business class!

When i was on the plane to board in i quickly looked at the business class as i got into the plane.. But that quickly view made me want to see it alittle longer and know what it contains and these buttons and so on and etther it is worth business class or better off economic.

At this stage im only checking things out learn alittle bit of business class and ones i have the cash i be set to book it in online and go from there.

Just one thing is.. depending what plane im on if there are a single seat on business class on its own that be fantastic for me... just don't like the idea of having someone next to me to my trip to europe. Just preference i suppose.

This will begin from Singapore to Helsinki,
Hopefully from Brisbane to Singapore is also business class.. But expedia always indicates (economic) only. I wonder why ?

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Closer to 5k in fact - last year I paid $4,567 (easy sum to remember), this year i paid around $5300 on QF/AY. (VN/AF can get you there and back for exactly $4,000 but with a looooong stop in HCM)

Citro, they can change your seats, especially if there is a change of aircraft, eg you take seat 1a and they change the plane to an old A340 where that seat doesn't exist.

And I agree with Nux, don't worry about the seats and boarding, it's a long time before you go.
Hi thanks. Also thats true... Im only just curious about business class and just having a look and see what comes up for the moment. Not buying tickets.. However i could end up on economic if my budget isn't right by the time i start booking anyways.

But at this stage i was just having a look. Little bit of fun to have a look see what it be like on business class checking out photos online and virtual photos on finnair just to get some kind of idea.

And just mucking around with Expedia. As you know im in brisbane. How come if i choose everything business class with finnair.. From brisbane to singapore it be only economic ? as i have to reach to singapore to catch the proper finnair airline.. Then its business class singapore to europe.

But why not business class as well from brisbane to singapore ? its why you would pay this amount to do so right ?

And for you too i ask you a question seats can change as well so your not wrong. Are these single seats next to the window better then these with 2 seats on the side of the window on business class ? or is single seat next to the window business class is more discreet and privacy as it may have more a 2 table side by side or one table on the side.

Note that on the map atm. I look it up and looks like there are 1 single seat that has 2 mini tables left and right of the seat. While the other side of the plane has 1 single seat with just 1 mini table beside.

Anyhow thanks again and i do preciate everyones help. Atm just having a look just of interest.

A interesting question for anyone who knows. Are the Finnair A330-320S better and newer and bigger planes or is the A340s better and bigger inside ?

Theses a190s by skybe are pretty bad planes. Don;t want to go thru in details my last experience with them but got me to the berlin just fine and correct in time to berlin

Last edited by oliver2002; Jun 24, 2015 at 1:01 pm
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I am taking the BA/AY option to Copenhagen from SYD in July. I grabbed two business tickets (ostentatious rather than economic class all the way - to use the forum terminology, it seems).
All my seat requests have been cancelled on the AY sector (SIN-HEL-CPH) so I have had to rebook them, Fortunately most of my original choices were still free but the cabin seems to be filling fast. I had assumed my seat requests had vanished because of a change in aircraft but the plan looks exactly the same.
I haven't flown BA in J-class in over 15 years so this will be interesting.
I took the same routing last year but a QF-AY combo - everything was fine and although the AY seats is not the best, I was not surprised as I was a regular on Air France in my time in the UK.
What is disappointing with AY is the IFE - limited choices, small screen and poor screen clarity.
I also read that Finnair had cancelled their contract with FlyBe so I don't know how the Embraer routes are resourced these days.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by citro
And just mucking around with Expedia. As you know im in brisbane. How come if i choose everything business class with finnair.. From brisbane to singapore it be only economic ? as i have to reach to singapore to catch the proper finnair airline.. Then its business class singapore to europe.

And for you too i ask you a question seats can change as well so your not wrong. Are these single seats next to the window better then these with 2 seats on the side of the window on business class ? or is single seat next to the window business class is more discreet and privacy as it may have more a 2 table side by side or one table on the side.

Note that on the map atm. I look it up and looks like there are 1 single seat that has 2 mini tables left and right of the seat. While the other side of the plane has 1 single seat with just 1 mini table beside.

Anyhow thanks again and i do preciate everyones help. Atm just having a look just of interest.
have you looked at sites other than Expedia? I booked my flight through Zuji, and mixed fares didn't come up, it was business class all the way. When I looked at Expedia it was economic from Sydney on Qantas. Last year I booked my ticket on the Finnair site, as it was only a small amount more than Zuji or travel.com.au and I prefer to book direct with an airline if I can.

Last time, I sat in 4A which is one of the seats that has the table on both sides. I think this is a good seat for a day flight, as the two tables gave me plenty of space for my iPad, books and other toys and it felt very roomy. But, this next trip for my night flight when I'll want to sleep more, I've chosen 4L on the other side. This only has one table, but the table is next to the aisle so I'll feel further away from people walking along. Also, the A site has a narrower space for the feet, which might make it less comfortable to sleep than the L side.

If you are in a seat next to somebody, don't worry, because if you are only used to Economic Bounces you will still feel a long way from your neighbour.

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
I am taking the BA/AY option to Copenhagen from SYD in July. I grabbed two business tickets (ostentatious rather than economic class all the way - to use the forum terminology, it seems).
that terminology is only used on specific threads.

What is disappointing with AY is the IFE - limited choices, small screen and poor screen clarity.
I was lucky enough to have loaded a really good television series on my iPad, the IFE on AY is the worst I've ever come across. That's really my only disappointment with the airline.

Business Class meals might change as well, my choice for early in March was originally a nice sounding chicken thing, but now Choice 2 has become beef burgundy. Same thing happened to me last year and I just sat back and accepted whatever surprise I was given as the site wouldn't even tell me what my choice had changed to! So, if you're a fussy eater be vigilant! (me, I can't eat fish, hate it, it makes me gag, so I would be stuffed if I end up with that).

Where does your flight take you through? Mine with QF is via BKK, very happy with that as I'm on a leisure trip and the long stops in Bangkok give me enough time to stay in a hotel and break up the trip properly.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Last year we took a QF/AY routing via BKK and booked an overnight stay at the airport Novotel (theoretically you can walk there but the heat/humidity and luggage made it a stupid idea). We were on the morning departure from BKK so had no real time to venture into town.
This year I route via SIN and the connectivity is good so no breaking the journey. Our schedule is tight, too.
I have found that although my final destination is the UK, I look for cheapest European landfall. Last year it was Amsterdam; this year it is CPH. A cheap Ba ticket to the UK and a night at the CPH Hilton (on points) is cheaper than the SYD-LHR price, especially as there are two of us.
It also looks like the clunky 340s again this year, so bringing my own entertainment.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:18 pm

Last year we took a QF/AY routing via BKK and booked an overnight stay at the airport Novotel (theoretically you can walk there but the heat/humidity and luggage made it a stupid idea). We were on the morning departure from BKK so had no real time to venture into town.
This year I route via SIN and the connectivity is good so no breaking the journey. Our schedule is tight, too.
I have found that although my final destination is the UK, I look for cheapest European landfall. Last year it was Amsterdam; this year it is CPH. A cheap Ba ticket to the UK and a night at the CPH Hilton (on points) is cheaper than the SYD-LHR price, especially as there are two of us.
It also looks like the clunky 340s again this year, so bringing my own entertainment.
Ahhhh, I walked to the Novotel. No need to go outside, just go all the way down to the lowest level, go past the entrance to the trains and you're there in a few minutes.

I ventured into town for a while, just long enough to walk through a market and then go back to the Novotel. I'd never been to Bangkok before and didn't want to get lost in a strange city so I made sure I was within sight of a train station. My taste of the city left me with a great impression, vast and exciting. And I was very happy with the Novotel- not cheap but you pay for the convenience, and my room was great.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:25 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
A interesting question for anyone who knows. Are the Finnair A330-320S better and newer and bigger planes or is the A340s better and bigger inside ?

The A330-320? Is that a A330 with a A320 on top? Must be uglier than "the Beluga"
Jokes aside, the A330 and the A340 are identical in size.
I business class, there are a few different cabin interiors though. It is much to personal taste which "is better". In economy I believe they are all the same.

I also read that Finnair had cancelled their contract with FlyBe so I don't know how the Embraer routes are resourced these days.
Exactly like before. The same fleet is operated by the same company. Flybe UK sold their stake in the holding company, that's all.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:37 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
And by the way CHCflyer, I reckon you are a NZ'er. Can I ask you if you know any good routes Europe-NZ?
I used to love AY flying HEL-HKG-AKL with the last leg on a AY codeshare op by CX on the CX107/108. (and price was very 'economic' even in business
But lately it seems CX is not selling much space to AY on this codeshare.

Is going via SYD the only viable option?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
have you looked at sites other than Expedia? I booked my flight through Zuji, and mixed fares didn't come up, it was business class all the way. When I looked at Expedia it was economic from Sydney on Qantas. Last year I booked my ticket on the Finnair site, as it was only a small amount more than Zuji or travel.com.au and I prefer to book direct with an airline if I can.

Last time, I sat in 4A which is one of the seats that has the table on both sides. I think this is a good seat for a day flight, as the two tables gave me plenty of space for my iPad, books and other toys and it felt very roomy. But, this next trip for my night flight when I'll want to sleep more, I've chosen 4L on the other side. This only has one table, but the table is next to the aisle so I'll feel further away from people walking along. Also, the A site has a narrower space for the feet, which might make it less comfortable to sleep than the L side.

If you are in a seat next to somebody, don't worry, because if you are only used to Economic Bounces you will still feel a long way from your neighbour.

Hello
BadgerBoi

Thank you kind enough to fully explain to me in a fantastic great detail everything you have indicated and also your experience on business class with finnair. That is great information you have provided. Very easy to understand you in order to know and you even mention the number seat and the how you explain the single seat with both and single table and that the single seat has that one 1table next to the aile which makes the seat right next to the window.

So again thanks to you for explaining it in great details.

First of all.. I made my finnair trip with Expedia. Expedia choosed me finnair first so now im stuck with finnair because it is cheaper ? thats what expedia provides me!

Now as you and everyone is aware im going to Berlin for about 11 days and Rovaniemi for about 4 days. All this in my one package ticket.

Finnair australia website like ive said earlier.. Will not coporate with me as i look up tickets.... So even if i look up for Economic.. i did what i normally do to look up for prices and such.. It doesnt work because if i include (Rovaniemi) i will get error on the page every time.

But with Expedia website it will coporate with me fully well even if i typed in my next trip after berlin will be Rovaniemi on that same month all in one package deal...

So no one really knows the reason why Finnair wont work and even tho it will work if i say i just want to go to Berlin and then back to australia... But not Rovaniemi ? Remember Rovaniemi is lapland in finland many daily finnair planes goes up there.

So because Finnair australia website keeps showing me error in red letters... i just stick with Expedia for now just to look up on prices and such at the meantime.

So that is very unnusual it wont work on finnair website.

--------------

Now i know ive already made my statement and point out the same question earlier but need to understand alittle more about this one which is:

I want to go in January for my actual trip.

The calender plan isn't fully janaury available just yet. So for the moment im just playing around to see what comes up with prices and so on... So i just do the December trip ( even tho im not going in december ) but just want to see what Expedia will provide me with price and give me some idea to it to what it might be for january 2016.

Okies so lets say december 1st going to berlin 11 days and after that Rovaniemi 4 days and then back home. At this stage on just ONLY (Economic) the cost for this package with finnair or at least with them is 10,000 something dollars. Now that does not sound right.. that is extremely a very expensive ticket by all means...

Big question to this.. Why did it show me the cheapest price begings at 10,000 dollars ?

My last trip i went in january last year all this trip package with expedia was only just under proximate 2,400.00 dollars on ECONOMIC

So how come now its worth over 10,000 dollars even on economic ? if i was put in BUSINESS CLASS it will show me something like 12 or more thousand dollars extremely expensive and all this does not sound correct price..

Now.....unless because im looking in December (high season) ? I even try see what shows up in November and also October for this year for this trip but the price is much higher then normal even on economic vs business class.

So can you please tell me the reason why the price is so extremely high ? It should not cost this much.

Strange to know that i made my airline bookings with expedia well in advance at least 9 months before my depature and i pais 2400.00 in total... And yet knowing 9 months in advance paid ticket was a long wait for the trip but i booked it on economic.

But now the price is rocketing high so... just doesn't make scenes there to why it shows something so expensive... Has something change with ticketing prices now ?

Anyhow sorry for my long question(s) been provided. Hope this isn't too much argue to ask for.

Thanks
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
The A330-320? Is that a A330 with a A320 on top? Must be uglier than "the Beluga"
Jokes aside, the A330 and the A340 are identical in size.
I business class, there are a few different cabin interiors though. It is much to personal taste which "is better". In economy I believe they are all the same.

Exactly like before. The same fleet is operated by the same company. Flybe UK sold their stake in the holding company, that's all.

Thanks.. yes i think so... no dont think its one of these double deker planes one on top like the brand new planes... Sorry im confused with the model planes. But i do thanks for the information provided thanks
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:14 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Big question to this.. Why did it show me the cheapest price begings at 10,000 dollars ?

My last trip i went in january last year all this trip package with expedia was only just under proximate 2,400.00 dollars on ECONOMIC

So how come now its worth over 10,000 dollars even on economic ? if i was put in BUSINESS CLASS it will show me something like 12 or more thousand dollars extremely expensive and all this does not sound correct price..
This question has already been answered several times in your other thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...passanger.html

I would strongly suggest you speak to a travel agent to book your travel.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:39 am

You definitely need to talk to a business person in the travel agency-industry about economic tickets.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Amazing patience from many of the contributors here...
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Amazing patience from many of the contributors here...
I'm actually one of the least patient people you could ever meet.

Something that has always impressed me with the Finnair forum is the respect that is nearly always accorded to posters here.

The OP livened up this place in the past, and it looks as though she's doing so again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.