Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know if Finnair helps with a room on long stopovers in Hel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 7:56 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Will be flying Bus. class JFK-HEL_KIX rtn next April. 8.5 hrs stopover on outbound and almost 24hrs stopover on inbound. If Finnair does not help on renting a room is there a decent hotel available for under a 100USD? Bar and resto. would be nice!
Old May 28, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
No, Finnair does not provide a hotel room - that is, unless the night stay is a consequence of an irregularity.

Finland has a high cost of living, so most hotels cost over 100.USD. Maybe the Best Western Airport Hotel Pilotti will be below that price. But you can check any OTA.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
No stopover program unfortunately (they really should, given that their flight timings often leave their Asian passengers with overnight layovers!)
Check out kayak/hotwire/priceline - I usually stay at the 4-star Cumulus or the neighboring Rantasipi near the airport for around 75 EUR - decent prices for Finland. Both have a very decent breakfast buffet included in the price and offer restaurants.
If you don't feel like venturing out into the city (which you should do - Helsinki is definitely worth a visit!) - select one of the half dozen hotels with a stop along the sole (free) shuttle line: http://www.finavia.fi/en/helsinki-ai...sinki-airport/.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The Hilton is very nice, located a few minute's walk from the terminal and offers nice views over the airport. ^

It is slightly more expensive though, in the 120-150€ range.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
The Hilton is very nice, located a few minute's walk from the terminal and offers nice views over the airport. ^
That's stretching it a tad ... Location is OK, but you still need to walk outside to reach the hotel (at least we had to last year coming from BKK in the month of Feb) but still better than the other Reachable-by-shuttle-bus-only hotels I guess. We also had a room facing the, erh, car park so I would not bank a room for it's views ;-)
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cupart
That's stretching it a tad ... Location is OK, but you still need to walk outside to reach the hotel (at least we had to last year coming from BKK in the month of Feb) but still better than the other Reachable-by-shuttle-bus-only hotels I guess. We also had a room facing the, erh, car park so I would not bank a room for it's views ;-)
IME it was very nice, I had a junior suite on the top floor with a sauna and a nice corner window facing the airport, which combined with wine in the exec lounge kept me entertained.

It was more expensive, but IMO 180€ wasn't too prohibitive. Especially compared to my previous nightmare-inducing claustrophobic experience at the underground, windowless GLO within the terminal. I'll take the 3 minute walk outside any day over that.

Last edited by Flythe96flag; Jun 2, 2015 at 6:22 am
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:10 am

This one is a cheaper option. The Bonus Inn. Colleagues of mine have used it and said it was fine.

http://www.bonusinn.fi/index.php?lang=eng
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: AY Gold

It is slightly more expensive though, in the 120-150€ range.
You can get a room below 100e for a single person, saw 97e in July (Booking.com).
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by bhomburg
No stopover program unfortunately (they really should, given that their flight timings often leave their Asian passengers with overnight layovers!)
Glad to have run into this thread. Found a reasonable Biz fare from DEL-JFK at the end of August. Too bad they don't have a stopover program. I imagine it must effect travel decisions, having to shell out for ones own hotel for Premium cabin passengers.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The Hilton offers day rooms for transit pax for a lower rate, I did that back in 2012 for 6 hours in transit. Costs aprox 50€ for max 8h.

The AY hotel to put up transit pax is the Cumulus. Call your local sales contact and ask for a stopover accomodation if its almost 20-22h. Note that the cumulus is a decent place to sleep at, but not more.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by knit-in
Glad to have run into this thread. Found a reasonable Biz fare from DEL-JFK at the end of August. Too bad they don't have a stopover program. I imagine it must effect travel decisions, having to shell out for ones own hotel for Premium cabin passengers.
Hardly.

If price is a decisive factor, then one simply needs to calculate the price of the hotelroom to the grand total. Either you pay, say, 3000 USD on airline X or you pay 2300 USD on AY, whereof 120 USD is for the hotelroom and 2180 USD is the cost of the flight ticket.

Of course it might be easier for the pax if AY simply raised their J prices with 120 USD and included a hotel room. But that's not the concept they work with as the "Scandic of the skies".
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by ffay005
But that's not the concept they work with as the "Scandic of the skies".
Very well put!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by ffay005
Hardly.

If price is a decisive factor, then one simply needs to calculate the price of the hotelroom to the grand total. Either you pay, say, 3000 USD on airline X or you pay 2300 USD on AY, whereof 120 USD is for the hotelroom and 2180 USD is the cost of the flight ticket.

Of course it might be easier for the pax if AY simply raised their J prices with 120 USD and included a hotel room. But that's not the concept they work with as the "Scandic of the skies".
I googled "Scandic of the skies", but the extent of my search only led to the understanding that they are the airline equivalent of the Scandic hotels? Not sure if that's a good thing or bad. Pardon my ignorance.

Yes, I agree if the price of flying AY in a premium cabin saves a substantial amount, given the overnight layover and cost of hotel, then it would certainly give the competition a run for its money. But if the difference is minimal, then I'd imagine some, if not most, would go with the next best option.

In my case, unless things change by the time I make a reservation, my next best option saves me time, without a substantial dent in the wallet.

Last edited by knit-in; Jul 25, 2015 at 11:19 pm
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
IME it was very nice, I had a junior suite on the top floor with a sauna and a nice corner window facing the airport, which combined with wine in the exec lounge kept me entertained.

It was more expensive, but IMO 180€ wasn't too prohibitive. Especially compared to my previous nightmare-inducing claustrophobic experience at the underground, windowless GLO within the terminal. I'll take the 3 minute walk outside any day over that.
Had an overnight at HEL and stayed at the Hilton. No status with HH anymore after their devaluation and got the basic room which was very nice for an airport hotel. It even had a view over the airport so it was nice to see the ground movements.

Great shower and comfortable bed, with the view being a bonus. No breakfast wasn't an issue as I wanted to check out the Finnair Premium Lounge anyway.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I believe that AY never really saw themselves as operating intercontinental-to-intercontinental connections (NA-Asia). They do primarily Intercontinental to continental-europe connections and those are extremely well optimized. You can arrive on any longhaul and connect to any shorthaul very very efficiently.
I guess, when scheduling those short connections, they didn't consider (or it just wasn't possible) optimizing longhaul-to-longhaul at the same time.

While Finnair have been flying to New York since 1969, I guess before the atlantic joint venture they were just a quaint little airline some people in NA might have heard of, but wouldn't consider flying anyway. Now, Finnair is part of this joint operations and suddenly turns up in a lot of peoples flight searches. I guess it is only natural there is a new interest in using Finnair in a new way.

Should Finnair offer a hotel for those odd (odd in view of their strategy) connections with long layovers?
Currently, Finnair NA activity is a bit higher than normal (they are surprisingly moving capacity from the asian routes to NA, despite their re-affirmed business plan of serving shortest route Asia-Europe).
But remember that it still is only JFK that is daily and year-around. All other NA destinations are seasonal and only a few flights a week.

IMHO that is a bit of the hobbyist aproach - they moved some capacity to capture some money, but it is not a strategic shift. And as such they won't gamble any money. They won't spend more to get more, ie there will be no layover hotel program.

The situation might also be quite different in the near future when new A350s comes in to the fleet. For one, they are at the limits of their current connection-strategy at HEL airport. Almost all flights arrive and depart within 2 very narrow time bands (they call banks) - one in the early morning, one in the afternoon. At these banks, HEL is runing at max capacity. So with new capacity coming in there is an inevitable change in schedules.

If Finnair adds capacity to NA adding daily flights year-around (again, in contrast to their current strategy) there is potential in NA-India and NA-Middle East, and perhaps a few other places in near and far east. Can't really se Finnair being competitive on NA-Japan though, regardless of stopover service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.