Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New fare rules

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 1:56 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
New fare rules

Finnair is quite active in making alterations to details in the fare rules for their discount fares. Perhaps we need a space to report and discuss the meaning of the changes?

There is currently decent business fares on sale, but they have a new wording in the minimum stay requirement:
TRAVEL FROM LAST FARE BREAK OUTSIDE COUNTRY OF FARE ORIGIN MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 5 DAYS AFTER ARRIVAL AT THE FIRST FARE BREAK OUTSIDE COUNTRY OF FARE ORIGIN.
where as previously they used to either require a saturday at destination or counted the days differently:
TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 5 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.
TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 3 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE FIRST INTERNATIONAL SECTOR.

So what has changed is that the number of days only starts to count when you have reach the destination, making the "5 days" much longer than before. Actually, "5 days" means a HKG-trip now must be minimum 7 days long: Leave on a monday and come home on a sunday.
Old May 10, 2015, 2:14 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by intuition

So what has changed is that the number of days only starts to count when you have reach the destination, making the "5 days" much longer than before. Actually, "5 days" means a HKG-trip now must be minimum 7 days long: Leave on a monday and come home on a sunday.
As a "pipe-head (putkiaivo)" male, I cannot interpret well what it is really.

AY pricing is ridiculous with the minimum stays.

The reason why SK wins some of my bookings over AY is their flexible fares, one-way tickets and no minimum stay.
Old May 10, 2015, 3:22 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FFlash
As a "pipe-head (putkiaivo)" male, I cannot interpret well what it is really.

AY pricing is ridiculous with the minimum stays.

The reason why SK wins some of my bookings over AY is their flexible fares, one-way tickets and no minimum stay.
Well, one only has to understand that when AY advertises "5 days minimum" it is now a much tougher criteria than it was before.

I agree on the crazy AY minimums and fear of one-ways. AY has Swe-HKG at 1600€ now, attractive price but the minimum makes it bad. I can get CX for almost the same price, the same flight time and without many restrictions.

And if going below minimum stay price jumps to 2500€!

Really hope SK HKG-flights are successfull and will shake up the market a bit.
Old May 13, 2015, 4:23 am
R7U

Programs: TK Elite; HH Diamond; AA Plat; CC Gold
I just bought AY tickets. Departure flights are in campaign class and return flights are in light class. According to the fare rules - campaign and light class tickets have 0 checked baggage. I have OW sapphire status with AB. I am wondering if I can get one checked baggage free of charge because I have OW sapphire status? Does anyone have that kind of experiences with AY?
Old May 13, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by R7U
I have OW sapphire status with AB. I am wondering if I can get one checked baggage free of charge because I have OW sapphire status? Does anyone have that kind of experiences with AY?
Yes, you can get the baggage to which you are entitled by your status.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
Baggage allowance - upgraded light

I bought light tickets to MUC and upgraded them to business
expected to obtain the standard Y baggage allowance 2 PC.

Luckily I ask via chat about this and received an answer that the
allowance is "normal business class allowance". Then I got the amended ticket that showed 0PC (the APP showed 1 PC)!

And now I received an answer from them that upgrading a light ticket would only entitle to 1 PC, can anyone find this exception from AY's web
http://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/informa...hecked-baggage

So the ticket stated 0 PC, APP 1 PC and chat-clerk said standard (2 PC).

Nice going AY!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:27 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Their communication regarding luggages has always been a mess. IME allowance printed on upgraded ticket is never correct. And so far, any upgraded ticket has always had the normal J luggage allowance. I have never heard that upgrading from light would be any different. AFAIK, an upgraded EU ticket should allow 2 checked bag + any tier perk allowance.

I have foud the app to be showing correct luggage allowance in all situations. So it is a little surprising/disturbing it only shows 1.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:38 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

BTW, is the upgraded ticket called "F" or did they invent a new fare class? Like a "Business Light" ?
Otherwise, I'm not sure how a check in agent would know that this Business ticket should be different than any other business ticket.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
BTW, is the upgraded ticket called "F" or did they invent a new fare class? Like a "Business Light" ?
F has been the business upgrade bucket for a long time. U is business award, X is eco award. (IIRC)
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:18 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
F has been the business upgrade bucket for a long time. U is business award, X is eco award. (IIRC)
Yes, that is my point. Unless they invented a new class for light-upgraded-to-business, how would check in agent know it to have a different set of rules?

I'd lean on Karjaluokka getting the wrong answers from AY, but since the app says 1PC I'm a bit worried.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So far business is business, no matter where you "come from" - IT systems may be confused (and with AY we know very well they are*) by the underlying fare.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
Their communication regarding luggages has always been a mess. -- AFAIK, an upgraded EU ticket should allow 2 checked bag + any tier perk allowance
an E-mail from AY this morning;(sorry, it's in Finnish)

"Huomaathan ystävällisesti, että alkuperäinen lipputyyppisi on Light-lippumme, johon ei sisälly ruumaan kirjattavaa matkatavaraa. Tämän lipun ostamisen jälkeen tehty korotus sallii sinulle yhden ruumaan kirjattavan matkatavaran lisäksi - businesskorotukseen sisältyvä lisälaukku lasketaan siis alkuperäisen lipputyypin mukaisen matkatavarakiintiön päälle."

Could the communication get any unclearer from this?!

Luckily I had taken a print screen from my conversation via chat.
The APP shows 1PC, amended F-ticket 0 PC...
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:01 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

As far as I understand that (google translated) they talk about luggage allowance getting increased (calculated as +1PC) at upgrade. That is not how it works IME, just like WilcoRoger says, Business ticket is business ticket. Once turned into a F ticket, it is a fullworthy business ticket for luggage allowance, carry-on allowance, lounge visit, priority security.

Regardless of AY's constant inability to communicate their luggage allowances, I have never had an issue at check in. I've been nervous at times (like when bringing back large parts of a home from HKG) but check in has never ever complained.
(However, I've never upgraded a light ticket)

I'd say you are going to be alright. Bring that chat-printout, and if worst case does happen (they force you to pay for extra luggage) raise hell with customer service afterwards.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cut and paste by a summer trainee?? Total confusion with their own rules?

I'd print out the mail without the first sentence and show up with as many bags as neccessary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.