Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair flies to Miami again in 2015-2016

Finnair flies to Miami again in 2015-2016

Old May 10, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
I believe AA does have quite a good variety of Caribbean and South American destinations served from MIA. Even though it may not be comparable to say HEL in terms of connections, it would make it more convenient than connecting at JFK.
Indeed, when I flew it many passengers we spoke to were connecting to central or south america (even MCO). I myself flew it to connect to MDE.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by intuition
I reckon there must be some historic reason (other than leisure), because the route has regular non-leisuer flight numbers AY7/AY8
Over the past few years Finnair has had the policy to turn many ex-leisure routes into scheduled flights. This applies e.g. to routes to AGP, TLV, AYT etc. So regardless of the fact that proper AY charter flights still exist, of course, I believe you cannot say anything about the "nature" of the route purely on the basis of the flight number anymore...
Old May 10, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Indeed, when I flew it many passengers we spoke to were connecting to central or south america (even MCO). I myself flew it to connect to MDE.
I think to still rather connect to MCO at almost any other airport than MIA.

Several European hubs are available from almost anywhere on the old continent, only BA requires the annoying trek to LGW from LHR.

Furthermore, also ATL, CLT and even JFK appeal to myself a lot more as a gateway to Florida as MIA really has a miserable reputation as an airport and even worse when connecting.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger
MIA really has a miserable reputation as an airport and even worse when connecting.
MIA is the only airport in USA where my luggage has been transferred directly to the connecting flight (from Equador to LHR-HEL legs, and second time from Honduras to LHR-HEL), never when coming from Europe, though. And the new immigration hall with automated immigration machines is many times better than what they used to have. So nowadays I rather transfer in MIA than e.g. JFK.
Old May 11, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by niksal
Out of interest, what's the economic reasoning for this route? Who is the target market? Nordic leisure passengers?
Miami has the largest Finnish ex-pat community outside of Europe.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Yes South-Florida generally, Lake Worth-Lantana is the hot spot.

Last edited by Andaman; May 12, 2015 at 12:08 am
Old May 12, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat, Hilton Honors Gold
I find it very unlikely that Finnair would start a route to mainly serve Finns or a Finnish community in Miami. This probably has nothing to do with it.
Old May 12, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
I would tend to agree that a group of expats isn't enough to keep a route profitable. I might be simplifying it a bit but isn't the money made on premium pax and cargo?

Interesting fact about the expats, I had thought it would have been somewhere around Toronto.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by lkrt
I find it very unlikely that Finnair would start a route to mainly serve Finns or a Finnish community in Miami. This probably has nothing to do with it.
It definitely has a connection to it - the reason Miami is so popular a destination for Finns can go back to the fact that there are so many Finns in the area.

Is it to serve the expat community? No. But because of the expat community drawing Finns to Miami, the market is quite large.

One can go to Lake Worth and feel right at home in Finland - they even have a Finnish language newspaper.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One can go to Lake Worth and feel right at home in Finland - they even have a Finnish language newspaper.
You always learn something from FT.

http://www.amuutiset.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.