Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair app

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Finnair app

I have occasionally searched for a Finnair app for iDevices, and been surprised and disappointed that they didn't have one. So I was very pleased, when I did another search last week, to see that AY have finally joined the iAge. But then I opened it, and.... I can't use it, because I'm not a Finnair Plus member...

Being HK based, Cathay is my home airline (and I have oneworld emerald status) but am using AY for some of my personal trips to Europe. I want to be able to search for flights, track flights, and do all the other things that apps allow, with my AY bookings, but I can't.

Annoying!!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
+1

I fly AY, but my programme of choice is AA.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Another + 1.

Disappointing.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
How difficult is to join AY+ ?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Not very
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
That's why I don't see OP's problem.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:49 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
But is joining really all that is needed? I think you need to have your AY+ number attached to your reservations - otherwise the trips does not appear in the app? Or did I miss something?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by intuition
I think you need to have your AY+ number attached to your reservations - otherwise the trips does not appear in the app?
Maybe.
I have been amused by how FAST the App is. I have had some few bookings lately show up in the App faster than on my Finnair account. On top of that, I was once waiting for a flight to be ticketed and while expecting it, I found it was already on the App
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
But is joining really all that is needed? I think you need to have your AY+ number attached to your reservations - otherwise the trips does not appear in the app? Or did I miss something?
Yup, definitely adds your AY+ number to the booking.

Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Makes you wonder why the etkt or booking number doesn't suffice.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
Makes you wonder why the etkt or booking number doesn't suffice.
It was the same deal with the BA app for quite a while, but they managed to make it work with a booking reference.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:42 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Unless the process of adding AY+ to booking is done in a way that doesn't affect any previously added FF#, this modus operandi limits the app to those who have AY+ as main program.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
It was the same deal with the BA app for quite a while, but they managed to make it work with a booking reference.
It was (is?) the opposite with the TK app - logging in didn't display any PNRs so you still had to type them in manually. Useless!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by duvin
Not very
That's why I don't see OP's problem.
It isn't a problem, as such - or if it is, it is definitely a first-world problem - it is disappointment. And intuition hit the nail on the head:

Unless the process of adding AY+ to booking is done in a way that doesn't affect any previously added FF#, this modus operandi limits the app to those who have AY+ as main program.
As I implied in my original post, my status is with another oneworld member (Cathay), so I don't want an AY+ membership associated with the booking. I would, however, like to use the app.

In fairness, I checked in last night (for my flight tonight) on my phone, and i must say the mobile website was VERY slick - very clear, intuitive, quick to load and easy to use. Full marks. But if they can do that so well (and it is by far the best mobile website I have seen from any airline), why can't they configure the app for non-AY+ members? Especially those who are members with another alliance partner?

PS: Passport (app) integration would be nice too. The only workable option I was given was to receive my boarding pass by email, which worked perfectly (and had both my main flight and my onward connection), but gives a PDF attachment. This is also very clear and well-laid-out. But road warriors don't always have access to a printer...

Last edited by IanFromHKG; Apr 29, 2015 at 10:22 pm Reason: Corrected tense errors (not sure if my English teacher would be cross I made mistakes or proud I corrected them!)
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:56 am

I assume you're using an iPhone? IME online check-in most definitely offers a direct link to your boarding pass, which you can add to your passbook.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.