Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair to West Coast

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by JustFlyer
Regarding the topic, there is one another consideration: none of the three WC cities are great One World hubs. Eg. Delta and Alaska strong in SEA, United leads the pack in SFO, ..

From the NW point if view, WC wouldn't make a ton of sense for AY.
And if I had to visit the silly con valley from HEL, I would try HEL-ORD-SJC rather than HEL-***-SFO anyway. That is a perverse advantage to not flying to SFO.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Allthough Nokia is down
Nokia mobiles are gone (for now atleast) but Nokia itself is doing fine, they just bought French Alcatel-Lucent for 15.6 billion euros

Last edited by Andaman; Apr 25, 2015 at 1:27 pm
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA GfL
HEL scissor hub from North America (SFO/SEA/YYZ) to India (DEL/BOM/BLR) makes sense. In addition to tech sector, there's Indian diaspora and also SF-based Russian diaspora transiting to LED/SVO.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Have you thought about this option?

...and a fraction of Northeastern European WC travel on cheapest-fare basis

No need to say that this is not their strategy Just playing with the thought
Interesting thoughts.

No doubt one can fill those planes, but at the same time a potential problem outlined here also: "cheapest-fare basis".
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I like the speculation but I don't like the misleading title of this thread. I thought it was breaking news about a new route announced. At least a question mark should be added to the title IMHO.

I would like to see AA and AY partner on the US–India route, establishing direct flights between DFW/MIA/ORD/JFK/YYZ and HEL + HEL and DEL/BOM/MAA/CCU, with short connections at HEL.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: Asia Miles, Delta SkyMiles, Avianca LifeMiles
I'm not sure how viable West Coast operations would be given that SK already flies to SFO. It would be nice having a West Coast route, but I suppose that's why the ORD route exists.

One thing I do see though is AY potentially testing a seasonal HNL route for Europeans though.
Old May 6, 2015, 2:13 am

HNL is out of range from HEL, even on A340-300. So that would require a stop-over in Alaska. Not sure it makes much sense...
Old May 6, 2015, 4:18 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Au contraire!

For A350 it is well within range and for Finnair's "HEL being the closest path" strategy it would work well for many (eastern) european connections.
Old May 6, 2015, 5:47 am

When the transition to A350 is nearly complete, perhaps. In the mean time, I'd think Finnair will use the old A340 for Aurinkomatkat destinations (like the B757 before) while it uses the A350 on competitive Asian routes.

Of course, HEL-ANC-HNL is possible, and the extra distance is negligible (4 per mil).
Old May 6, 2015, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Of course, HEL-ANC-HNL is possible, and the extra distance is negligible (4 per mil).
I did HNL-ANC-KEF-HEL (AS/FI) last summer, being the shortest commercially available route, IMO. True ANC was a few days stopover and loved every minute of it.
Old May 6, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
Au contraire!

For A350 it is well within range and for Finnair's "HEL being the closest path" strategy it would work well for many (eastern) european connections.
The Great Circle Map is an interesting tool, indeed HEL-HNL is shorter than LHR-HNL.

And HEL is closer to Sydney than ATH is, or any other EU hub.

Last edited by Andaman; May 6, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Old May 21, 2015, 3:32 pm
HK7

Have you thought about this option?

Would Finnair have a chance to start a route? Would the economics work with any of the destinations, has anything changed recently?

HEL-LAX: probably no, given the low amount of business passengers?
HEL-SFO: business traffic med (Silicon Valley for Tech), heavy leisure traffic from Eastern Europe or from Europe with the cheapest fare?
HEL-SEA: now with the extensive business traffic to Seattle due to Microsoft's Nokia devices business acquisition, could there be a base load? I assume that you would get most of Finnish West Coast leisure travel on top, and a fraction of Northeastern European WC travel on cheapest-fare basis

No need to say that this is not their strategy Just playing with the thought
Old May 21, 2015, 3:35 pm
HK7

HEL - SJC

Is a great option: from otaniemi (arctic wannbe silicon valley) to the Silicon Valley

And possibly cheaper and less congested vis a vis SFO.
(OAK Norwegian already flies from Stockholm nonstop.)

FINNAIR, are you listening?
Old May 22, 2015, 1:37 am

I doubt that FlyerTalk plays much part in Finnair's market studies
Old May 22, 2015, 2:17 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I doubt that FlyerTalk plays much part in Finnair's market studies
Only when it comes to decide on which European origins that should have married segments on the Asian routes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.