Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Shorthaul Business Class Food

Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lkrt
On ARN flights, a cold sandwich with beverages is served. On all other SH flights, the service includes "a hot main meal, something sweet and beverages".

Beverages include sparkling wine (Bernard-Massard Cuve de l'Ecusson), white wine, red wine, beer, cognac, whiskey, vodka, cream liquor and soft drinks.

Iberia-operated MAD and BCN flights have Iberia service with starter, hot meal and proper dessert. On these flights, a different set of beverages is served (IB selection).

Destinations with sandwich:
ARN

Destinations with hot meal only (no starter) and something sweet:
AMS BER BGO BLL BLQ BRU BUD CPH DBV DUS FRA GOT HAM KRK MUC NAP NCE OSL PRG SPU TOS TRD VCE VIE VNO WAW ZAG

Destinations with starter, hot meal and something sweet:
AGP ALC CDG DUB EDI FCO GVA KEF LHR LIN LIS MAN MXP OPO TLV

SPML - Special meals, examples and links (incomplete list)

SFML - Seafood meal, eg Salmon lasagna, Smoked salmon. Discontinued as of 23-09-27
VLML - Lacto-ovo vegetarian meal. Example 2
RVML - Raw Vegetarian meal. Discontinued as of 23-09-27
VGML - Vegetarian / Vegan
FPML - Fruit platter meal
Print Wikipost

Finnair Shorthaul Business Class Food

Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:35 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by intuition
We got into a discussion around connecting pax, and it kind of felt that they already have abandoned any positive development in intra-eu traffic. --. But if they are considering the shorthaul as mereley feeder traffic with no intrinsic value, then I cant see a positive development in the future.
This is perfectly fine if they decide to go this way. However, then they shouldn't advertise their business class product with words such as "extreme comfort" and "top-class service". "Delicious high-quality meal" is far from reality and doesn't correspond to the premium prices they charge.

Who would accept a microwave meal in an expensive restaurant that market itself as a luxurious experience?

Originally Posted by R2
IMO it's more of a quality issue than than quantity as you well demonstrated in your report on CPH-HEL-CPH flights.
Exactly.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:12 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by R2
IMO it's more of a quality issue than than quantity as you well demonstrated in your report on CPH-HEL-CPH flights.
Yes, you are right. What I meant is that in this context, they could move to a snack-meal with the motivation that 95% of customers are not needing nor wanting a dinner meal, as they already ate something in the departure lounge, then again in the HEL lounge and then again 2 times on the longhaul.

Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
This is perfectly fine if they decide to go this way. However, then they shouldn't advertise their business class product with words such as "extreme comfort" and "top-class service". "Delicious high-quality meal" is far from reality and doesn't correspond to the premium prices they charge.

Who would accept a microwave meal in an expensive restaurant that market itself as a luxurious experience?

Exactly.
You are absolutely right. I often talk about what happens to a brand when marketing is exaggerated. At some point customers will see through it and start to mistrust the entire brand.
"If this is what they call a 'luxurious meal', then I can easily figure out how to read 'punctual', 'safe' and all other keywords they are trying to associate with the brand"
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
I was very satisfied with the food offer on MUC - HEL yesterday evening. I could choose between 2 nice different main dishes. Also no complaints about the starter and the dessert (which came along with a chocolate bar in addition). As you might guess correctly I was not on AY but LH exceptionally.

I only wonder why AY does not manage that despite they put a way higher price tag on it. And I am curious about about the food tommorow on AY on the same route.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:28 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Jainzar
...And I am curious about about the food tommorow on AY on the same route.
A golden opportunity for a revealing graphical comparison - I hope you took some pictures?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, EBG
AGP-HEL

Hi. Does anyone know what Finnair is offering on the night flight from Mlaga to Helsinki ???
The lounge is probably closed.
Cheers
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by sueco6
Hi. Does anyone know what Finnair is offering on the night flight from Mlaga to Helsinki ???
The lounge is probably closed.
Cheers
AFAIK they serve breakfast.

The lounge closes now again at 23 and you need to be there before 22:45 to get access. This is usually when you get there if you have checked luggage.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Can't comment on the LHR route as I usually go with BA there, but just flew BUD-HEL in C (nearly an hour shorter than LHR) and the catering beats BA's hands down. 3 course meal (salad, hot main dish, dessert) + all the ethyl-based beverage you fancy and no, the champer isn't Monopole No "afternoon tea" nonsense either. You won't go hungry as with the 11 am:ish BA flight where you'd simply starve as you'd leave the lounge 10 am or so, no lunch onboard ("too early") but it'll be still after 5 pm you get anything edible landside.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:16 pm

Now the topic is back on top

Hel - Bru ay815 14/09

Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I think the face of the pie tells it all!
cistavoda likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Flew BUD-HEL in J on Sunday evening. Service was impeccable, but the meal served was lacklustre to say the least (and then I was still very nice to the "kitchen").

Amazing how much the quality of the food went down just within a year on short-haul business class. No menu cards since end of last year, no dessert sinc eearly this year, where is this going to end? Maybe in a year's time it will be "only first drink service is free, after that you have to pay for it"...

And to some extent I'm even more dissapointed, as this time around I've actually travelled in paid J (fair enough, part of a trip to HKG to make it a LOT cheaper, but still).

Ps.: AY please stop serving "goulash" on the HEL-BUD-HEL route. Whatever you are calling goulash is not goulash. Just because you put paprika in a dish, does not make it goulash.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:19 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by remymartin
I think the face of the pie tells it all!
Piemoji!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:22 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Flew BUD-HEL in J on Sunday evening. Service was impeccable, but the meal served was lacklustre to say the least (and then I was still very nice to the "kitchen").
Is that salmon as starter, and is it half cooked-half raw?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:31 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by casper79
Now the topic is back on top

Hel - Bru ay815 14/09

I would like to add that this is a special meal, the seafood one. One shouldn't expect this without a preorder. It's quite good actually in my opinion but it seems AY only has one seafood meal as they always serve this one.

Ps.: AY please stop serving "goulash" on the HEL-BUD-HEL route. Whatever you are calling goulash is not goulash. Just because you put paprika in a dish, does not make it goulash.
Not only in BUD route, so AY: please stop serving this "goulash" on all your flights.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by intuition
Is that salmon as starter, and is it half cooked-half raw?
Yep, the salmon with the "forrest mushrooms" were the starter. The fish was smoked and that was pretty much the only part of my dinner that I liked.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Hear, hear! Same goes to all Finnish catering co's, restaurants, etc!

(PS - it seems that we systematically avoid each other on the HEL-BUD-HEL positioning/price dropping route )
Steve_Hun likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.