Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair introducing new light fares "HBO"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair introducing new light fares "HBO"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Okay, now it started.

HEL-ARN-HEL 12.5.2015-22.5.2015:

CAMPAIGN 67,12€ W
LIGHT 89,12€ R
VALUE 119,12 R
PRO 581,12 H

and it looks like type Campaign and Light both are now 0 bags.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
No BASIC there, so it seems Light IS the new Basic as I guessed, with no cheaper price, just a new enhanced level of service experience
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Lappe
Group 3 is the cool guys: post20 in the Boarding groups thread
That was a good one

Good work in this thread BTW to dig out the fare codes ^
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by FFlash
No BASIC there, so it seems Light IS the new Basic as I guessed, with no cheaper price, just a new enhanced level of service experience
I guess BASIC will be back after Campaign is over (24.3).
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Basic fares can only be booked through customer service and travel agents (according to AY twitter team).
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:37 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by miikkak
Basic fares can only be booked through customer service and travel agents (according to AY twitter team).
Is that so? The processing fee would most certainly push the price of the Basic ticket over that of the corresponding Value ticket online price.

Besides, you can buy the luggage allowance at 10€/segment from the website. What's the difference from Basic then?

By the way, it seems Value is slight more expensive than Light plus luggage. And Campaign is likewise barely cheaper than Light, both without luggage.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:41 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Basic fares are still present in GDS. I havent seen any Light types (ie RLI fare)
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by miikkak
This must be those Campaign/Light destinations. I just checked FRA, TLV and SIN and Basic is available thru finnair.fi
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:33 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Okay, now it started.

HEL-ARN-HEL 12.5.2015-22.5.2015:

CAMPAIGN 67,12€ W
LIGHT 89,12€ R
VALUE 119,12 R
PRO 581,12 H

I did look up that specific route and date in expertflyer, and compared it to what is available on finnair.

Code:
Fare	Type		Price	Ex tax	Published fare
----	-----		-----	-----	---------------
W	CAMPAIGN	67,12€	10€	Not published
R	LIGHT		89,12€	32€	Not published, R Basic is 52€
R	VALUE		119,12	62€	62€
H 	PRO 		581,12	460€	460€

So, I cannot find "Light" being published. Assuming 'Light' is a ticket type, then it looks like the type works by removing 20€ from corresponding Basic fare, ie adding bags by get back to the exact same price point as buying a Basic.

Matrix cannot find either the campaignor the light types either, but finds the R Basic that is not available on Finnair. If someone finds one of these light types, it would be interesting to have a look at the fare rules.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:42 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
And this is extra interesting. Not that I mind, I'm pretty OK with campaign being stripped of luggage. However, the info page on finnair.com says explicitly that:

Checked baggage is still included in all other Finnair ticket types.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
You can find the fare rules for example at travellink.fi after selecting the flights.

Last edited by miikkak; Mar 17, 2015 at 11:11 am
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by intuition
So, I cannot find "Light" being published. Assuming 'Light' is a ticket type, then it looks like the type works by removing 20€ from corresponding Basic fare, ie adding bags by get back to the exact same price point as buying a Basic.
I would think this is only transitional, either due to ongoing roll-out, or due to the launch campaign of the Light ticket type. Ostensibly, the Light fare is meant to compete with DY and SK. If it were not eventually published and only available on AY.com, it would be quite useless.

Originally Posted by intuition
And this is extra interesting. Not that I mind, I'm pretty OK with campaign being stripped of luggage. However, the info page on finnair.com says explicitly that Checked baggage is still included in all other Finnair ticket types
Finnair does not consider Campaign to be a ticket type, at least not consistently. Also this Campaign price is explicitly a sale to launch the Light fare, as I understood the last Finnair Plus electronic mailing.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:16 am

Speaking of fare classes, I found this http://media.finnair.com/files/pdf/F...l_Agencies.pdf

It seems not too old, maybe useful?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by FFlash
Speaking of fare classes, I found this http://media.finnair.com/files/pdf/F...l_Agencies.pdf

It seems not too old, maybe useful?
That is useful but it is something from the beginning of new ticket types, was it 2012?
NYC and destinations in Japan are included to types but nowadays those JV's are tickets without ticket type.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:11 pm
Moderator, Finnair

I found it interesting. Many small details I didn't know.
Date inside doc suggests it was made for launch early 2013.

I find it striking that young 'miss Blue Wing', presumable a "top tier" example customer, is only AY gold.

Another thing - the PRO free upgrade is done only at check in. Ie after all other upgrades have been processed (waitlisted, email-offers, bid for upgrade, op-ups). What a generous perk... Remember, PRO usually is more expensive than a Business saver.

UMNR is allowed from Q and upwards

They refer to the "ticket types" as fare families.

They are aware that GDS will only show basic types (which kind of defeats the idea of easy upsell). There is a section describing how to work around that limitation, but that is only TAs. Most of the OTAs does not offer anything than cheapest, a well know issue to many of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.