Wiki Posts
Search

Non AY2000-Flybe flights?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Non AY2000-Flybe flights?

Just maybe noticed an oddity.

The Finnair website advises on doing OLCI/ automated check-in only for flights on AY metal OR Flybe metal with a flight number AY2XXX. I booked a flight for this summer that is flown by Flybe metal (Embraer) but has a different code (AY669 or something) and the confirmation specifically said check-in at the airport only. Tried to ask Finnair about the OLCI, but they haven't answered anything.

I checked the printed schedule from Finavia's site and from the end of the March there will be plenty of those flights, "normal" code, but still with EM/ATR, until that they are rare. It just occured to me if there's some strategic changes coming up. Flybe Nordic merging into Finnair? It doesn't make any sense that over half of the summer tourists flown by Embraers would be forced to do desk check-ins only when the direction otherwise is towards a fully automated process.

Any explanation for this?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Hi FinnishGal!

Are you really asking about OLCI for a flight several months out, or perhaps MMB?

IME AY669 has had no OLCI problems in the past.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:30 am
Original Poster

No, that will sort out later.

I was more curious about the situation. The Flybe flights have previously been marked with AY2xxx code. So that they were distinguished from the "real" Finnair flights. But they were still olcible as the website explains, done that myself many times. But from the end of the March they are marked with codes that mix them with Finnair flights and as such you can't even olci for them. For what purpose they would do this? My flight was actually AY769 to Vienna, not 669, but there are many others like this, AY811 and AY815 to Brussels, AY929 to Dublin, AY703 and AY707 to Dusseldorf, AY821 to Frankfurt.. Can those flights still be switched to a bigger plane and then flown by Finnair, or are they merging somehow?

Last edited by FinnishGal; Mar 2, 2015 at 6:45 am
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Embraers have been operated by Flybe Finland for a long time now. If they're sold under AYxxx they're considered Finnair flights with Finnair livery and everything to go with that.

We can speculate, but I don't think anyone knows what will happen by summer.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
That's quite interesting actually, considering that since launch the BE operated AY flights have indeed always had the AY2xxx code.

I just did a search, and the BE operated flights still are marked "Operated by Flybe", and lack the Finnair tail fin.

Inconsistent for sure, but I think too early to draw any conclusions.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
I recently read from somewhere that they have decided to drop the policy of labelling Flybe-operated flights with flight numbers AY2xxx. So beginning this spring (cannot recall the exact date) for example the afternoon flight to GVA will always carry the flight number AY869, irrespective of whether it is operated by AY (rarely) or Flybe. Over the recent years this flight has usually had flight number AY2869, excluding those quite rare situations where a bigger aircraft has been needed.

When it comes to OP's observations, I would guess that they just haven't updated their website to reflect this change yet. It would not make any sense to restrict OLCI. I would also refrain from jumping into hasty conclusions (Flybe Finland merging to AY etc.) because of this issue which I think is more of a technical nature after all...
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
As Flybe cancelled my last AY2xxx flight, they put on next AY2xxx one, combining double more pax into an A320, but with AYxxx code
I thought they would keep the same flight code for the route in question, but seems they go and change the flight code when there is equipment swap
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:54 pm

Yes, they never use AY2xxx numbering for a flight operated with an Airbus (and with Finnair crew in that case). They just remove that first "2" in the flight number if there is an equipment swap. This has been the case for years already.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast
Yes, they never use AY2xxx numbering for a flight operated with an Airbus (and with Finnair crew in that case). They just remove that first "2" in the flight number if there is an equipment swap. This has been the case for years already.
Never say never.

HEL-LED is normally operated by FlyBe ATR but when they need to change aircraft to Airbus, call sign is still AY/FCM2165/2169.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:18 am

Today Finnair announced that current AY8xxx op by flyBe will become AY flights like (Kokkola/Jakobstad, Kemi/Tornio, Kajaani, Jyväskylä, Marieham, Tartu, Norrköping) so changes related to the change of operator are coming. Possibly the new company did not want to touch these routes on their own risk.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Never say never.

HEL-LED is normally operated by FlyBe ATR but when they need to change aircraft to Airbus, call sign is still AY/FCM2165/2169.
Oh you found the exception to the rule. Not sure but this might have to do with the bilateral aviation agreement with Russia. Perhaps the flight numbers are specifically mentioned there and cannot be changed ad hoc...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: LH SEN
Flights to LED use atc callsign Finnair (FIN) in any case.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by esledo
Flights to LED use atc callsign Finnair (FIN) in any case.
+1 ^
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by nordic
Today Finnair announced that current AY8xxx op by flyBe will become AY flights like (Kokkola/Jakobstad, Kemi/Tornio, Kajaani, Jyväskylä, Marieham, Tartu, Norrköping) so changes related to the change of operator are coming. Possibly the new company did not want to touch these routes on their own risk.
Now that Finnair took over the Flybe codes (at least temporarily), that is positive at least for those who want to credit to other oneworld (where Flybe numbers not always accrued), or no?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Gold, IHG Ambassador
I have two domestic (Finland) flights coming up this month with Flybe.

One is Finnair coded AY2481 which should be treated as any other Finnair flight as far as I know but the second one is coded BE5505. Can I earn any Finnair Plus or BA EC Avios from that BE coded flight (or TP which is more interesting than the actual Avios from it).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.