Waitlist for awards?

Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Waitlist for awards?

Does anyone knows if waitlist for awards usually clears? For my flights it looks like they have only about five seats left - but scheduled for next week. If they won t clear I need to book alternatively (same lh flights ex ARN still cheap).
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:38 am

Programs: AY LUMO
What is that source for about 5 free seats?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
What is that source for about 5 free seats?
The seat map - I can t get any other data.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:15 am
Original Poster

OK all flights confirmed.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:51 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I know this is an ancient thread, but the title says it all and the question has become very topical, as upgrades and awards now shares the same bucket.

So if an J upgrade (bucket U) can be waitlisted, can a J award (bucket U) be waitlisted?

This is of great interest, also because the availability in U has dwindled now that robots control upgrades.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Yes. I've waitlisted both X and U awards as Plat, and they have cleared, too. However, all three cases have been last minute awards only a few days, or even a few hours, before take-off.

I currently also have a waitlisted U award to DXB with flights several months out. My guess is that this booking might not clear, and I will probably think of something else rather than waiting it out.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Yes, my 2 passenger Economy award AMS to KUO just beore Christmas and back right after NYE got cleared within a week. Still many months until flight to go. Sometimes you’re just very lucky
on22cz likes this.

Last edited by EuroFlash; Jul 10, 2019 at 1:04 am
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
My waitlisted J award to MAD in December took almost 3 weeks to clear.. Booked it in June.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:42 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
So I called in and it seemed like a very regular request, no hesitation on how to handle it. They can produce a reservation confirmation too and it can be pulled on MMB. Itinerary clearly states "RESERVATION WAITLISTED, BUSINESS (U)"

Interesting observation was that they don't charge taxes until waitlist clears, and I guess this means they must process waitlisted awards a bit earlier than the T-37 hours used for upgrades. (I think she told me the cut-off-time, but I didn't hear it well enough)
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
So I called in and it seemed like a very regular request, no hesitation on how to handle it. They can produce a reservation confirmation too and it can be pulled on MMB. Itinerary clearly states "RESERVATION WAITLISTED, BUSINESS (U)"

Interesting observation was that they don't charge taxes until waitlist clears, and I guess this means they must process waitlisted awards a bit earlier than the T-37 hours used for upgrades. (I think she told me the cut-off-time, but I didn't hear it well enough)
Correct. Taxes will be charged once the waitlist has been cleared. You will then receive an email and have got about 4 to 5 hours to pay. Once you pay the ticket is issued instantly. The award flight waitlist clears 7 days before departure latest from what I've been told.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:33 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by EuroFlash
The award flight waitlist clears 7 days before departure latest from what I've been told.
Yeah, but I got on waitlist almost exactly 7 days ahead of departure, so we'll have to see when/what happens. I think she said 3 days before, but could easily have misheard that.
I have intel saying there is one more pax on waitlist, but I don't know if that is upgrade or award.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Not a good thing as I think over this. U waitlist can get very long at least on some routes and then the revenue mgt algorithms surely interprets that ad high demand and opens no awards and holds inventory at higher prices for cash too etc till last minute, a vicious cycle hanging on. No good. Just like speculative hotel room booking behaviour (I am part of that, sorry) in popular cities where you see high prices all over and then often prices drop vastly at last minute when people cancel their flexible=speculative bookings.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:31 am
Moderator, Finnair

My award cleared approx 5 days out, with payment request on mail the morning after, with a 5h deadline to make payment.

Despite short time on waitlist it rendered me one throw away ticket and one flex ticket cancelled.
So, yes waitlist as the go-to solution for rev mgmnt is bad for everyone but if they make stupid rule, we play the game.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: AY Silver, BA Silver, FI Saga hopeful
I had two U awards clear in three days for HEL-KEF about 60 days out, on a flight that had already sold out all the cheap buckets. They are also during the tail end of high season.
-
DJ
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I was waitlisting for an award to DXB over Christmas and New Year's. A359 J, of course. I waited several weeks, but it didn't clear, and I needed to make other plans, so I cancelled the waitlist via chat. Points were returned instantly.

I booked an award to LPA for the same period. There was availability for dates that suited me, but a couple of days after ticketing the award online, I waitlisted another return date that would work better. Chat-Janica said it doesn't look good (which I knew, having checked availability online) but it was still waitlisted. And it cleared within two days! ^ The flight shows Y3 B3 H2 K1, and is for January 2020, so I'm really happy and a bit surprised that it actually cleared, and so fast, too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.