Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Australia to Europe. citro's AY Travel Questions

Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hello everyone. Just like to ask a few questions about finnair to these who may know more then i do with finnair.

Q1: Im a solo independent holiday traveler. Ive always been with domestic flights. And want to try out business/first class seats. Which one should i be actually looking for business class or First class ? I am a non business person.

Q2: Im from australia. I be heading to berlin. With finnair i choose for will get me to singapore first and from singapore to finland in helsinki then i change a smaller plane part of finnair to get me to berlin next. The smaller plane from helsinki to berlin did not look that excited. So does this mean i will still be seating on a business/first class to this route as well or choose not to do so ?

The most important is the long haul to get to europe and wish to get a business/first class but things like helinski to berlin for that type of seat did not look that impressive on a small plane as i remember going to berlin on domestic and there was only i think 2 business/first class seat at the front which didn't look impressive compare to the rest of the domestic seats.

Business/first class seats looks good on the bigger planes with finnair but i dont think so with smaller planes from helsinki to berlin. But depends what im going to pay for with expedia. Its upto what im suppose to be getting.

Q3: I did muck around with expedia the other day and it seems that australia to singapore will only be domestic seats only. (not busines/first class seats) I wonder why ? But yes it will from singapore to europe.

Just like to know about this one. But i understand nothing comes cheap. Plus im only just wondering about it. I'm bit bored if you like to call it that way with domestic seats. As i like to have a more variety space between everything.

With your guideline and opinion would help me choose the right one.

Thank you.

Last edited by citro; Feb 7, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: LH SEN
From Australia to Berlin via Helsinki, on Finnair. Sounds like exciting bounces, especially in businetic class. Looking forward to this.

Hopefully someone can provide you answers to your questions. ^
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:04 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Are you choosing Finnair just based on price? What price is Finnair compared to a one-stop flight via Singapore, HKG or the Middle East on the likes of:
Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Qantas,..?

Also, haven't you already booked your flights? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post24270875

Originally Posted by citro
Q1: Im a solo independent holiday traveler. Ive always been with domestic flights. And want to try out business/first class seats. Which one should i be actually looking for business class or First class ? I am a non business person.
Finnair doesn't offer First, only Business Class.
http://www.finnair.com/int/gb/travel-classes

Q2: Im from australia. I be heading to berlin. With finnair i choose for will get me to singapore first and from singapore to finland in helsinki then i change a smaller plane part of finnair to get me to berlin next. The smaller plane from helsinki to berlin did not look that excited. So does this mean i will still be seating on a business/first class to this route as well or choose not to do so ?
Finnair doesn't fly to Australia, so you will most likely be on a Qantas aircraft to Singapore in business.
Singapore to Helsinki you will be on a Finnair aircraft in business class.
Helsinki to Berlin you will be on a shorthaul aircraft in business class.

The most important is the long haul to get to europe and wish to get a business/first class but things like helinski to berlin for that type of seat did not look that impressive on a small plane as i remember going to berlin on domestic and there was only i think 2 business/first class seat at the front which didn't look impressive compare to the rest of the domestic seats.
Shorthaul business class in Europe on most carriers is just the same seats as economy with the middle seat blocked.

Q3: I did muck around with expedia the other day and it seems that australia to singapore will only be domestic seats only. (not busines/first class seats) I wonder why ? But yes it will from singapore to europe.
Can you provide a screeshot? I think you'll find it is Qantas business class.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by nux
Shorthaul business class in Europe on most carriers is just the same seats as economy with the middle seat blocked.
One thing to be aware of; the seat can be knee-bending.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:36 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
A1. Finnair only has business (and economy) anyway.

A2. As previous posters said, practically all intra-European flights nowadays on any carrier offer identical seats to business and economy class customers - though the middle seat is blocked in business. Thus if you absolutely want a better seat for the entire journey, you need to book an itinerary with a segment direct from Asia orthe Middle East to your final destination. Needless to say, that won't be possible with Finnair to Berlin.

In fact, there are very very such options to Berlin presumably because of congestion pending the opening of Brandenburg airport. The only ones I could find where Hainan (via Beijing) and Etihad (via Abu Dhabi).

A3. I flew QF5 (SYD->SIN) recently with transfer to Finnair afterwards. That flight most definitely has a real business class section - though I was in Y meeself.

Last edited by Courmisch; Feb 2, 2015 at 6:03 am
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Are you choosing Finnair just based on price? What price is Finnair compared to a one-stop flight via Singapore, HKG or the Middle East on the likes of:
Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Qantas,..?

Also, haven't you already booked your flights? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post24270875

-----
Not yet. Only gathering some information at this stage. Just wanting to know first.
-----

Finnair doesn't offer First, only Business Class.
http://www.finnair.com/int/gb/travel-classes

-----
Thanks. I just mainly choose Expedia and the first time ever shows me finnair when i do the berlin thing from australia. So finnair comes up first. If i scroll down the price goes higher for different airlines.

-----

Finnair doesn't fly to Australia, so you will most likely be on a Qantas aircraft to Singapore in business.
Singapore to Helsinki you will be on a Finnair aircraft in business class.
Helsinki to Berlin you will be on a shorthaul aircraft in business class.

That is odd. I just muck around with expedia. And did the dates. If i was to choose business class it only shows domestic seats from australia-singapore. But then it shows that from singapore (finnair) will get me on business class. But only domestic from australia to singapore. And singapore been the next destination where i have to catch the next plane anyways.

With the flype that i got on last time from helsinki to berlin. I think there was a bigger seat at the very front business class perhaps ? but didn't look that exciting on a smaller plane by finnair. So business class seat on this smaller airline are only at the front ? Only by 2 seats for business class next to the domestic seats.

Can you provide a screeshot? I think you'll find it is Qantas business class.
Last time i went with finnair. When i was in singapore to get on the finnair. If i remember, They announce VIP first to line up. Or Business first to line up to hope on the plane. I went domestic all domestic passengers had to wait more then 10minutes till the other first VIP or buisness people get on the plane first

So what was this VIP ? is that suppose to be for these who has a business seat ? It happened the same when i flew with finnair again from helsinki back to asia.

I think they announce special or vip or business or class people first. Not sure what it was meant. But these people just lined up first and got on the plane quickly.

Has anyone notice that ? Maybe it didnt said Business but i think VIP or special class or soemthing. Anyhow someone may tell me this.

Last edited by oliver2002; Jun 24, 2015 at 7:52 am
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:36 am

Last time i went with finnair. When i was in singapore to get on the finnair. If i remember, They announce VIP first to line up.
Has anyone notice that ? Maybe it didnt said Business but i think VIP or special class or soemthing. Anyhow someone may tell me this.
They usually call first the business class and elite members of frequent flier program. So people who fly a LOT do get to board first even if they travel on economy class.

But business class can be also for any tourist who just want a bigger seat and not because your a business person correct ?
Getting to business class does not require you to be a business person. Just pay for the more expensive ticket.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:04 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Thanks. So if i was to pay my airline tickets buiness class i must be alerted to be first to enter the plane and not the last with the domestic passengers correct ?
The word you are looking for is economy, not domestic. Domestic refers to a non-international flight, which Australia to Singapore is not. There is no 'domestic' class. If you are in business class you can board at any time, however you have the opportunity to board early.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theBro
They usually call first the business class and elite members of frequent flier program. So people who fly a LOT do get to board first even if they travel on economy class.

Getting to business class does not require you to be a business person. Just pay for the more expensive ticket.
Hi theBro

Thank you kind enough to help me with my questions.

When i was in Singapore to get on the finnier. If not mistaken which was late anyway at night. They did not announced business class passengers first to line up here. I believe they said VIP or Special class tickets to get on here. I don't no. Perhaps they call it something different. I didn't new what that was. I was wondering perhaps it meant business class passengers to line up here to board the plane first. But i don't think they said business class. But more of Special or vip or something. Do they normally say that or they call it something else ? If i was to be a business class passenger i firstly would had never known if that line was meant to be for me or between all the economic passengers instead. For us economic took more then 10minutes to get in the plane after the first row had to go in first. These people line up first was just any ordinary people like us.

If im going to choose business class i presume i get in the plane first (or you don't have to) guess everyone would be passing by looking at the business class by many economic passengers.

I was just messing around with Expedia website in order to see what comes up with price deals.

For example i put in 1st of December 2015 till 11 of December Australia to berlin by finnair. It will get me to Singapore to change planes follow by helsinki to change to flybe to get to Berlin.

Then going to the next destination to north Lapland in Finland another 3 days and back home to Australia by finnair.

So when i did this (economic) How come it is showing me the total cost is: AU$6,415

Even if i wait till January gets available to book in the tickets. It will sure to show me between that price and anything over 8.000 dollars.

How come it was much cheaper last year when i did this booking for January and it only cost me under 2,000 dollars all up ?

Is there something happening in December and January coming up ? Price is so high. But its interesting how Expedia seem to have the price very different if i wait 2 months from now and look back at Expedia and do the same for these dates. Which then shows me the total cost be some what 2,000 dollars and not over 6,000 dollars.

Can someone please explain to me why the price is so high and then if i wait 1 or 2 months later the price is very low all of sudden ?

----

When i made my booking for finniar via Expedia. The price didn't cost that much it was like 2.000 dollars economic. Why is it that it is showing me a very expensive ticket ? There has to be something happening in berlin or something in 1st of December ?

Or perhaps Expedia is not updated yet and have to wait another month till i see the price change a lot ?

Its why i wondered that the earlier you book your airline ticket the cheaper it gets. Rather then wait close to date and end up having the price going higher. Isn't that true ?

However i want to travel with finnair. And Expedia is what it shows me first which seems cheaper but over 6,000 dollars just to get to berlin does sound more of a business class price rather then a economic. And i only choose economic just to see what shows up. But very expensive. Last year it was 2,000 dollars.

Last edited by oliver2002; Jun 24, 2015 at 7:55 am
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:59 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Posters.... If you do not have anything to add that isn't on topic, please don't bother responding. Snark also isn't appreciated.
_
_
_
-
-
-
_

Last edited by Moderator2; Feb 2, 2015 at 5:02 pm Reason: clarity
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I also tried to see what shows up on expedia for finnair. For november 2nd 11 days in berlin and 3 days in lapland finland then back home to australia and total price cost is over 5,000 dollars on economic.

My last trip in January when i did this trip. It was under 2,300.00 dollars on economic.

So perhaps there has to be something going on even in November to have that higher price shown ?

Going via Finnair website itself shows a much higher price anything from 8,000 to 15,000 like how i stated. Does not sound right. It should not cost this much just to go to berlin and then lapland on economic.

I also tried finnair website. and it seems to show me: We were not able to find availability with your search criteria. Please change the search criteria and try again. (66002)

Even if i tried to see how much it cost for 2nd of november 2015.

Thanks moderator2 appreciate that.

And thanks to NUX for the interesting website. I can see a virtual image of what the business class looks like at http://www.finnair.com/int/gb/travel-classes

However just to let you know as many finnair planes i got on one place to another it did not show always the same looks as the picture. But more of 2 seats together next to the window. These virtual images shows 1 seat on each side of the window.

Anyhow ive bookmarked it that site by finnair. Because i like to check it out now and then to know what i would get if i choose business class.

Last edited by oliver2002; Jun 24, 2015 at 7:56 am
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Be careful with Expedia, I know when I looked at Business Class fares on Expedia a "mixed" fare kept popping up, it was economy between Australia and Singapore on Qantas, then business class to Helsinki with Finnair. Look carefully before you book.

You've never flown business class before, so you'll be in for a treat. I have a feeling we'll be hearing quite a bit from you before you go
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:45 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
I will (try to..) give you one proper answer..

Try booking like this:

1. ticket nr1 - Australia-Berlin (via Singapore and Helsinki) - schedule a stopover in Helsinki, long enough for your trip to Lapland and naturally for your desired dates.

2. ticket nr2 - Helsinki-Lapland return ticket on a separate reservation during your Helsinki stopover with ticket nr1
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Be careful with Expedia, I know when I looked at Business Class fares on Expedia a "mixed" fare kept popping up, it was economy between Australia and Singapore on Qantas, then business class to Helsinki with Finnair. Look carefully before you book.

You've never flown business class before, so you'll be in for a treat. I have a feeling we'll be hearing quite a bit from you before you go
Hey.
Yes that's what i mean earlier. Expedia last time shows me that for business class will begin from singapore to europe. So from australia to singapore it be economic. As singapore be the change to finnair.

While saying that Finnair website would show a much higher expensive ever ticket business class from australia to europe.

thanks

That is what im doing and telling you what im getting with finnair website vs expedia website.

Australia to berlin. It will show me the cheapest price with finnair what so ever. But there seems to be not availabe with error on expedia.

Same thing with Finnair website.

So its australia to berlin (obviously it will stop at singapore then helsinki) before i get on flybe bounces to berlin.

But both websites has errors. Or that soemtimes the price is more then 8,000 dollars on (Economic trip all the way to berlin.)

I also include berlin to lapland. Berlin will get me to helsinki. Before i then catch another finnair to lapland. Days later i go home going back to helsinki and from there it would get me to hk or singapore or something to australia.

But even tho it shows errors or not available Or sometimes it would cost more then 8.000 dollars all up ? last year i travel did this it was as little as 2,000 dollars all up economic

Im only trying to see what economic shows up and then tried business class. But there is error or not available or the price is higher then normal.

Finnair website would sometimes show as high as 10.000 dollars to get to europe. This sounds pretty much very wrong or errors.

I wonder why!

And i try december 2015 just to test to see what shows up. start with 2nd of december 10 days in berlin. and 3 days in lapland.

Even it shows error i test it out what comes up with november 2015 and also October 2015 SAME as obove and error.

So what is going wrong there ?

Its why i thought the earlier you book it in the cheaper it is! So example if i travel in december 2015. Expedia and finnair website wont find availability or there is error or that sometimes the price is more then 8.000 dollars return on economic.

Last year i paid my ticket early 10 months before i left. And it was cheaper that way. But im suprise there is no availability .. And already ? something must be happening in europe in the next 10 or 11 months time ?

We were not able to find availability with your search criteria. Please change the search criteria and try again. (66002

with finnair australia website.

I type my city then to berlin. 10 days later Then berlin to helsinki next. Then 3 days later helsinki to australia.
Berlin Tegel (TXL) ?

What am i doing wrong!

Update now it seems to work but doing all this its showing me it will cost more then 6,000 dollars economic. When i last fly last year it only cost me 2400.00 economic. I wonder why! There has to be error or that most of the sites are not updated! It should not cost me 6,000 dollars to get to europe on economic. That price sounds more of a business class price.

Last edited by oliver2002; Jun 24, 2015 at 7:57 am
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:58 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

What am i doing wrong!
You are doing something wrong, so you need to keep trying until you understand how to use the search or call a travel agent to help you.

I have no trouble searching for a SYD-BER;BER-HEL;HEL-SYD in the multiple destinations search on the finnair site. With dates 2 dec/12dec/15dec it prices to 2256 AUD. Other dates are cheaper and below 2000AUD exists.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.