Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Using Someone Else's Status to Select Seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:47 am
Original Poster

I have an upcoming long-haul flight on Finnair but I am hesitating at the 20 EUR seat selection fee.

I remember a couple of years ago someone on another forum mentioned that they'd had success in entering a friend's frequent fly number (I think they were BA Gold) in order to select free seats, and then changed it back to their own frequent flyer number straight after so that they could collect the miles.

Has anyone had recent experience with this? Besides whether this is "morally" correct or not, are there any implications for either party?

As an aside: from what I understand on a cheap (R) class fare, I will only earn 25% Avios using my BAEC card. However, if I use my AA card I will collect 100% AA miles? This seems like a much better offer to me...
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Very doubtful. The flyer's name and FF number are linked.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA
in the past, when i've purchased tickets for family members while logged in to my aa account, i was able to seat them in upcharged seats for no extra fees.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by teevee
in the past, when i've purchased tickets for family members while logged in to my aa account, i was able to seat them in upcharged seats for no extra fees.
While some airline FFP allows you to initially do this, once the PNR goes live, the actual status of the passenger will be compared to the FFP on file. And if it doesn't match, the seats will be released back into the system.

If it worked for you (on AA), it doesn't mean it will be a guarantee for anyone else especially since this topic is about AY's system.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
If it worked for you (on AA), it doesn't mean it will be a guarantee for anyone else especially since this topic is about AY's system.
AY lets you choose upcharged seats (e.g. Economy Comfort) without a fee for people on the same PNR if you are AY Gold or Plat. Have done this for my family members. Should be possible for all OWS and OWE.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast
AY lets you choose upcharged seats (e.g. Economy Comfort) without a fee for people on the same PNR if you are AY Gold or Plat. Have done this for my family members. Should be possible for all OWS and OWE.
Yes we know that that is possible, even with BA. But teevee was talking about just using his status for people not travelling with him to choose seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.