Wiki Posts
Search

Bidding for biz seats

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
BA just "asked" me for 990 pounds for swithcing from 747 seat 62K to the pointy end..I thought that was very steep, too...didn't even consider..
With them I got the beep at the gate - "Sir, would you mind flying First today?" Off to Haneda it was, so time enough to enjoy the ride But that's definitely something NOT to count upon
Old May 8, 2017, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miikka
How about people who need to choose Economy class due to the Corporate travel policies but would be personally willing to upgrade themselves for the comfort?
If one works for such a company at a level that enforces the Y-only rule, I'd think the salary level would be such that it would make an 1800€ outlay for work travel upgrade just impossible. (blow 2 weeks net salary on two upgrades?)
Old May 8, 2017, 3:50 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
If one works for such a company at a level that enforces the Y-only rule, I'd think the salary level would be such that it would make an 1800€ outlay for work travel upgrade just impossible. (blow 2 weeks net salary on two upgrades?)
I do, but I have other assets as well for working a looong time, and nowadays also investment income. So I book Y and fly J solely for work (and where available, F for leisure). No-one can interfere.

It is surprising, that "työhyvinvointi" is not counted at all regarding businesses and business travel, including civil servants....
Old May 8, 2017, 11:45 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by miikka
I am considering similar levels. And for me 990 pounds for BA Business upgrade was also too steep but then 269 pounds for World Traveller Plus was worth the extra comfort.
This 990 was Business -> First, but anyway..
Old May 9, 2017, 12:09 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
This 990 was Business -> First, but anyway..
Ah, I see. When I was last time asking, they quoted the same 990 from Economy to Business.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
wow...just wow, anything close to 900 is a rip-off by any means. YMMV

Anyway, I have started to fight back the company Y-policy. Any smart ideas how to, please PM me?

EDIT: I should talk about W-policy instead of Y actually. Y sounds too flexible and expensive
Old May 9, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some ideas:

Work ergonomics/health angle - we have someone going round the workstations about 1-2x per year checking ergonomic adjustments, but how would 58Ö middle seat look in the same ergonomics meter? 9-12 hrs per pop, repeatedly? Would anyone in the office sit a full working day in a position like that?

Price angle - "I can get nearly as good prices as Y with a bit magic applied. Yes, I might have to do a flight to Prague, even though we have no business there" (if have business, so much the better - I usually spread out my flight ticket over 3 trips - 2x Eur + 1x longhaul. Suddenly the price is rather competitive)

Can work/sleep during the flight - less time away needed (less hotel costs) After Y flight one needs at least a day recuperating.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FFlash
... Any smart ideas how to, please PM me?
If you are part of the talent, work the creative/sneaky angle of personal benefits others won't know you are getting.
(I am only 50% serious, but will PM you the idea anyway on a longshot it might work)
Old May 9, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Anyway, I have started to fight back the company Y-policy. Any smart ideas how to, please PM me?
Our policy has only one exception allowing J tix: if one goes directly into work after a LH flight. It might have something to do with Y being counted as "travel time" but J as "rest" and the legislation regarding max. continues work hours comes to play. Too bad I haven't been able to use this more than once or twice..
Old May 9, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
wow...just wow, anything close to 900 is a rip-off by any means. YMMV

EDIT: I should talk about W-policy instead of Y actually. Y sounds too flexible and expensive
A former co-worker got always got a doctors certificate wich proofs that he is in a condition unfit to fly Y - it worked
Old May 10, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Just waitlisted us for the 81 on friday with J3 on EF. Any thoughts on this?

Too bad AY doesn't have the same as AA regarding the "C" inventory for upgrades.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Still showing J3 with one seat open in EF, but six(6) seats are blocked... What's up with the blocked seats?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: *Gold
Apologies if this has been asked before but the thread is quite long - if my bid gets accepted do I get a refund for the economy seat reservation I have paid for?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:21 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yes, I believe you do.
All kind of refunds usually needs to be "claimed", ie you need to send in a refund request.

-- Added
Couldn't find the rules for bidding, but here is the rules for "last-minute-offer", ie the solicited upgrade offers. Not sure the "automatic refund" is valid in all cases.
6. If I have upgraded myself, what happens to my paid services in Economy class?

In case you have purchased travel extras such as additional checked bags, those will be automatically refunded to you. If you have paid the services with Internet banking, you will be asked for bank details for refund.
Exception: you are not entitled to a refund if the service in question is included in your original Economy fare type, such as PRO fare type.

Last edited by intuition; Aug 18, 2017 at 2:35 am Reason: found some rules
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: AerClub Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, Hhonors Silver, IHG Spire Elite, Hotels.com Gold, BA blue
Anyone have success stories with bidding for long haul?
HEL>ICN or SIN>LHR

Starting bid for both is around EUR280.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.