Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bidding for biz seats

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by kauppias
Only reason I would upgrade at 279€/flight would be if miles were given as J...
The premium paid through the auction could vary between 556 € and 1196 €, if both directions were upgraded. A business class ticket from ARN to BKK, for example, sells for 1377 € without the hassle of the auction (Mar 10-Mar 17, availability 10 seconds ago). and this would grant full J points for ARN-HEL and HEL-BKK connections. The cheapest Y flights for the same dates list for 637 €. So, on top of that, paying the cheapest 556 € to upgrade both directions with the cheapest possible bids, I would have to pay 637 € + 556 € = 1193 € and not be sure of which travel class I would fly in until just a week before the trip. If there was only Y points per the campaign fare (25%) despite the upgrade, this would be a clear no-go for me.

The only situation where this would be of interest would be if my employer did not allow travel in J, I'd be interested in paying for the upgrade myself.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I think the bidding is aimed at people who fly direct for leisure only and have no idea about starting their trip elsewhere could save a bucketful of money.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FFlash
Me too, at maximum. We should all vote for this here, in case AY reads this thread and listens
I am biased though as I only fly AY routes of max 3hrs... I prefer airlines with full service
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The guys at plusgrade or optiontown must have landed their gig at AY, probably as part of the project that suggested Y+.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Just remembered this thread when I first time saw the bidding option on AY.

I had booked earlier tix for me and better half, both cleared voucher upgrades, and now we decided to take kids with us (). I went and bought Y tix for them, asked to upgrade but they were waitlisted. Later, now I was just checking on my MMB to see if upgrades have cleared, they were not, but I saw the bidding tool option. I clicked it for curiosity, but it told me it is not available, seemingly due to the upgrades pending.

Seems that they will certainly sell bids first and upgrade only later if no bids are placed.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat
it is not available, seemingly due to the upgrades pending.
Starts on 31st March. Noticed the same premature option but not working yet.

Blind bidding. What a circus.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:01 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well, it is not an auction, it is the (much hated) NZ concept IIUC. There is a hidden minimum bid that must be topped, otherwise seat goes to those waitlisted on upgrade for points/voucher.

It is blind because this way some bidders will put in a way to high bid and airline makes more money.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat
Originally Posted by intuition
Well, it is not an auction, it is the (much hated) NZ concept IIUC. There is a hidden minimum bid that must be topped, otherwise seat goes to those waitlisted on upgrade for points/voucher.

It is blind because this way some bidders will put in a way to high bid and airline makes more money.
Exactly. Maybe, maybe more money. But not Designed for Me. For someone else. Not for high tiers. Random pax random euros run over my hard earned points and vouchers. Thanks Finnair Plus Frequent Flyer program.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:43 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Very true. Designed for casual flyer who might be convinced to indulge themselves and are unfamiliar with the market value. Hidden means you cloak the true supply-demand situation in order to hopefully tilt the prices upwards. Cant blame an airline for trying to make more money, but one whishes it didnt have to come at the expense of the loyal customers.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: A3 Miles+Bonus
Is that so?! I agree, that looks bad.

Still, upgrades for points/vouchers have their own fare bucket. I took the wording "if seats are available" meaning that the bidding system would work against normal revenue availability. Then it wouldn't affect, but then again there is no way of knowing.

What are the dates for this to happen on BKK flights? It is fairly easy to go into the upgrade search tool and see if voucher upgrade availability have been slaughtered.
I just put in a bid for my upcoming HEL-PEK flight in late November, and upgrade availability tool on AY website indicates "No Business Class available"

My guess is that, if bid upgrades pulled from the same fare bucket as points upgrades, they wouldn't have let me bid at all.

It just wouldn't make sense otherwise. Finnair gains nothing by a user bidding an amount for an upgrade that isn't even available in the first place. Especially considering that bidding doesn't obligate the passenger to pay, even if the bid is accepted.

On top that, seatmap on ExpertFlyer for my flight shows J wide open one month out (only 1 seat occupied in the whole cabin). So hopefully that's promising...
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:43 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by nseraleyva

My guess is that, if bid upgrades pulled from the same fare bucket as points upgrades, they wouldn't have let me bid at all.

It just wouldn't make sense otherwise. Finnair gains nothing by a user bidding an amount for an upgrade that isn't even available in the first place. Especially considering that bidding doesn't obligate the passenger to pay, even if the bid is accepted.

On top that, seatmap on ExpertFlyer for my flight shows J wide open one month out (only 1 seat occupied in the whole cabin). So hopefully that's promising...
It seems a reasonable logic, but I'm not sure there is logic to it...
Anyway, HEL-PEK never ever has any F (upgrade) space released, so if they are offering bidding on this route it most certainly comes from another source than F.

Also, upgrade space is a rather volatile comodity. Many people think airlines release x seats for every flight y days ahead of take-off, and then the seats gets taken a few at the time. But F availability comes and goes all the time. If there is zero F on a certain flight at one point in time, it doesn't mean there won't be more F seats at a later point in time *). It really depends on revenue management and their ongoing evaluation of supply/demand
*)Unless it is PEK - intuition rule # 1 - there never is any F on HEL-PEK
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
*)Unless it is PEK - intuition rule # 1 - there never is any F on HEL-PEK
Special T&C for intuition?

My last China trips were HEL-PEK-PVG-HEL, where PEK I got upgrade through, but not PVG, and another HEL-PEK-HEL where I got both legs upgraded. It is a while since then and I'm not flying much there nowadays but wanted to give a data point.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 4:13 am
Moderator, Finnair

Special T&C for intuition?

My last China trips were HEL-PEK-PVG-HEL, where PEK I got upgrade through, but not PVG, and another HEL-PEK-HEL where I got both legs upgraded. It is a while since then and I'm not flying much there nowadays but wanted to give a data point.
Hehe, yes they blocked me, because I get so angry when they downgrade me after equipment change

OK, but does "got upgraded" mean that you in the end got upgraded, perhaps after waitlist or for operational reasons? Because that isn't the same as F availability which is released as part of revenue management routine descisions.

As far as I can see, 3 flights HEL-PEK and 2 flights PEK-HEL has F space - of all flights the coming 11 months.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:42 am
Moderator, Finnair

Bidding live for more destinations?

With access to several peoples account and several upcoming trips I can say that the bidding function is live for more destinations, perhaps on all?
Some observations:
1. Only tickets sold by finnair.com works. Tickets booked via OTA like expedia does not work. You can see the ticket on MMB, the link to "Name your price" is displayed, but when you go to bidding page, bidding is somehow disabled. (You get no visual que, they just removed the sliders. Page still says "chose you flight and name your price" but there is no input method. Really confusing if you don't know what the bidding page is supposed to look like)

2. Bidding has no connection to F (upgrade fare bucket) availabililty. You are solicited to bid even on flights with F/0

3. Possible bids range from 100€ to 1000€. In my case the initial suggestion made by the interface is 460€, which is graded as "3,5 stars"on a 1-5 scale, while 470€ is a 4-star bid

"Strength of your bid" table (read "+" as "and up")
100€+ 1 star
146€+ 1,5 star
191€+ 2 star
263€+ 2,5 star
335€+ 3-star
403€+ 3,5 star
470€+ 4-star
556€+ 4,5 star
641€+ 5-star

4. I am getting the same rating for different segments so the bids and their star-rating clearly has nothing to do with the current load factor, existing bids or anything like that. They are just price-points set by Finnair.
I am guessing that at T-7 days, Finnair will scan the bids and accept the bids if they either are
a) silly high
or
b) they are risking an oversold situation and there are decent bids from flyers they want to upgrade.
The actual process is hidden - Finnair only says "there are a number of factors that decides if your bid is accepted."

5. If your trip has short haul connections, they are listed in the auction. However, you are not allowed to bid on them. On shorthaul flights there is a text saying "Auction has finished" and they have no sliders. The interface looks like you only bid for the longhaul segment, but who knows. It is pretty unclear.

Last edited by intuition; Feb 21, 2016 at 1:54 am Reason: Adding #5
Old Feb 21, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Thanks for exlaining the system, Intuition!

I wonder who they'll decide to upgrade. If a plat bids €350 and a non-AY+ bids €400, will they choose the plat?

It would also be interesting to know if they have certain hidden thresholds, above which they always accept the upgrade if there's space and below which they will go if Y is overbooked. Maybe we'll hear some experiences later here on FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.