Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AhogZ
This Wikipost is community-maintained and For Information Only. Note that not all information may be up to date and should be used at your own risk.

Safe - Immediate turnaround is easy, i.e. according to experience it is possible to reach departure gate quickly and without extra security check when doing same plane turnaround.
Intermediate - Immediate turnaround is doable, but requires e.g. extra security check.
Risky - Immediate turnaround not recommended. (See notes.)

TO KEEP THE WIKI AS COHERENT AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE USE "SAFE", "INTERMEDIATE" OR "RISKY" APPROPRIATELY! (I.e. no "Safe" for stations that require any kind of security or transfer check, not to mention going landside, etc.)

Immediate turnaround information for European AY destinations:

ACE: ?
AGP: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.) Details here from August 2022
ALC: Intermediate, Arrivals pour from jetbridge to "funnel pathway" which takes people to baggage claim, but one can look for "Transfer" signage and take escalator up to the gate area. No checkpoints.
AMS: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
ARN: Safe / Intermediate (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate, except gate 62 arrival pours to baggage claim. ATR flights may be riskier if one ends up with a bus gate.)
ATH: Intermediate at best
AYT: ?
BCN: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
BER: ?
BGO: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BLL: ?
BMA: Safe (Transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and boarding will not start before the incoming plane is empty.)
BRU: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BUD: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CDG: ?
CFU: ?
CHQ: Risky (To landside first and security needed. Long lines possibile.)
CPH: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CTA: ?
DBV: ?
DUB: ?
DUS: ?
EDI: ? (Security check required for sure.)
FCO: Intermediate / Risky. Bus transportation can cause long walks.
FNC: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight. Mobile BP not available, obtain a BP from HEL.)
FRA: Safe (Even with the bus from stand you can make it.)
FUE: ?
GDN: Risky (Providing it is ATR by Norra, apron position, walking / bussing to the arrivals, queue security (can be very long), sprint upstairs to the gate.)
GOT: Safe / Intermediate(At least on tube arrival, after exit from the tube to the terminal area, turn around and you are at the departure gate. No info on possible bus gates though.)
GVA: ?
GZP: ?
HAJ: Safe (Arrival at departure gate)
HAM: ?
HER: ?
IBZ: ?
INN: Intermediate / Risky (To landside first and then security. No airside transit.)
IVL: Safe, arrivals pour into the gate area.
JOE: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
JSI: ?
JTR: ?
JYV: ?
KAJ: ?
KAO: ?
KEF: ?
KEM: ?
KGS: ?
KOK: ?
KRK: Intermediate (AY rarely has a jetty position so bus, arrivals then go upstairs to departures for security, there is a fast track for OW elites - not well signposted - separate B/Pass scanner to the left)
KTT: ?
KUO: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
LHR: Intermediate (Need to go via Flight Connections to reclear security, which may take time depending on the time of the day.)
LIS: ?
LIN: Safe, arrivals pour into departures.
LJU: ?
LPA: ?
LYS: ?
MAD: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
MAH: ?
MAN: Intermediate/Risky, requires reclearing security.
MHQ: ?
MSQ: ?
MUC: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
MXP: Intermediate / Risky (Arrivals come into a different floor, transfer requires walking through a transfer point and distances are quite long.)
NAP: ?
NCE: ?
OSL: Safe / Intermediate (D gates pours directly to departures. E gates also pours to departure gate, follow transit arrow, automatic gate door will open during "normal" hours. IF door doesn't open go upstairs try the transfer security. Very rare reports of stand arrival with bus to exit, but should still be doable, security is usually fast and short distances.)
OUL: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
PFO: ?
PMI: ?
PRG: Safe (From arrivals walk up to departures to departure gate.)
PVK: ?
RHO: Risky (Arrivals pour to baggage claim, security check usually has long lines before you get to the departure hall.)
RIX: Risky. After deplaning, you walk to the terminal, but boarding is done with buses. My flight was delayed, and they started boarding before the plane was even there.
RMI: ?
RVN: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
SPU: ?
SZG: ?
TAY: ?
TFS: ?
TLL: Risky (May have a remote stand arrival, when departing flight has been boarded into a bus with boarding gate already closed.)
TLV: ?
TOS: ?
UME: ?
VAA: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
VBY: ?
VCE: ?
VIE: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
VNO: Risky. (Departing pax board bus when arriving pax still deplaning. Connection corridor available but not sure how straightforward it is).
VRN: ?
WAW: Safe (Arrivals pour to departure gate.)
ZRH: Safe (When exiting the bridge, you are under the gates and there are inclined speedwalks that bring back to the gates upstairs.)

Immediate turnaround information for selected longhaul AY destinations:

DEL: Intermediate (There's plenty of time for the obligatory visit to the transit desk and security. However, you'll need a self-printed visa confirmation to show the gate agent at HEL.)
DOH: ?
DXB: Intermediate (Follow "connections" to security downstairs and after that go to transfer desk if needed.)
JFK: Intermediate (Generous time with the new schedule, but you'll need to clear US immigration so ESTA or visa is needed.)
NRT: Intermediate (OLCI and mobile BP works, no need to go landside. There's transfer security, though.)
Print Wikipost

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kauppias
Ive seen the cheap hkg flights but not with fare code H H wouldgive 100% on AA so would be intresting
All Finnair fares give you 100% EQM, including deep discount fares..

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...es/finnair.jsp
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
... and that's the beauty of AAdvantage for AY flyers!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by teemuflyer

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...es/finnair.jsp
The post you quoted referred to CX flight earnings on AAdvantage.
Old May 7, 2015, 5:46 am

I have until the end of this month to collect 19 000 points on AY+ to renew my plat. Any suggestions on how to do that? Of course, "buying" the points is the obvious fall-back, but how about a mileage run, with or without a stop-over in the destination. Weekends are preferred travel time, but I might be able to do a long one as well.

I have collected the current point amount sitting in the back, so my butt does not appreciate the most arduous routings
Old May 7, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Where are you based, and what is your budget roughly?
Old May 7, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by theBro
I have until the end of this month to collect 19 000 points on AY+ to renew my plat. Any suggestions on how to do that?
Just take one Value return to somewhere. JFK, DEL, SIN, HKG, BKK ....
Old May 7, 2015, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
Where are you based, and what is your budget roughly?
I am located in Helsinki and looking for some good deal / el cheapo. No strict budget, but obviously it does not make sense to pay more than ~600 EUR for this, extra comfort could naturally raise the budget somewhat...
Old May 7, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Well, if you want to avoid long hauls you could try this:

Nested immediate turnarounds to ZRH, there's a Swiss J offer to HEL going on atm. Return in Value. This would net you 15000 points, the award points which you could then convert to the last 5k points you need making it point neutral basically. Total price apprx. 734€ (The J flights need to be booked on an OTA, I used CheapTickets to price this one.) Finnair's site bumps up the price.

You could probably get sufficient points with a long haul, but I think with accommodation costs it could get higher. Depends if you want a mini holiday or just points.

Old May 7, 2015, 8:15 am

Nested immediate turnarounds to ZRH, there's a Swiss J offer to HEL going on atm. Return in Value. This would net you 15000 points, the award points which you could then convert to the last 5k points you need making it point neutral basically. Total price apprx. 734 (The J flights need to be booked on an OTA, I used CheapTickets to price this one.) Finnair's site bumps up the price.
This is an interesting suggestion. Just the kind of "out-of-the-box" thinking I was looking for.

You could probably get sufficient points with a long haul, but I think with accommodation costs it could get higher. Depends if you want a mini holiday or just points.
I could also consider a LH with point upgrade, might be less stress than 4 SH flights. And I would not say no to a mini holiday either. I might even have hotel points stored somewhere for one more free night
Old May 7, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
This is an interesting suggestion. Just the kind of "out-of-the-box" thinking I was looking for.

I could also consider a LH with point upgrade, might be less stress than 4 SH flights. And I would not say no to a mini holiday either. I might even have hotel points stored somewhere for one more free night
BKK is allways an easy trip easy upgrades this time of year decent hotels and the eye rests 595 RT 👍
Old May 7, 2015, 2:50 pm

BKK is allways an easy trip easy upgrades this time of year decent hotels and the eye rests 595 RT 👍
Unfortunately that price tag is only for the 25% point accrual, which leaves me quite a bit short. 600 from ebookers would give me basic tix with 50% (value tickets being priced at 750 by AY). Or did you have a better source for the tickets giving 100% with the quoted price?
Old May 7, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Unfortunately that price tag is only for the 25% point accrual, which leaves me quite a bit short. 600 from ebookers would give me basic tix with 50% (value tickets being priced at 750 by AY). Or did you have a better source for the tickets giving 100% with the quoted price?
Ahh so true I forgot the ay problem ex arn pricing is about the same for value... But even 700 for 100% ex hel is not too bad considering how empty their J cabin is should be an easy upgrade
Old May 8, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: AY LUMO
( ex arn pricing is about the same for value...
Cheapest Value I can find exARN in June 6283SEK = 675.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat, Hilton Honors Gold
I'm starting to have this figured out.

With CX it would be approximately 540 EUR to do a HEL-MAN-HKG-SIN-HKG-CDG-HEL which is very much bookable by a few OTA's, for example Kilroy. Kilroy does show a part of the fare rules, but not the exact fare class. I'd like to know if this is one of the deep-discount fare buckets that doesn't earn 100 % with AY+. In the past someone said these CX fares would be booked into L/H/M but can I be sure?

I'll attach the partial fare rules below. (looking for dates in OCT15)
Also, I have no idea on which leg of the trip these fare rules are for.
Code:
MAXIMUM STAY

TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN
   12 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.
PENALTIES

CANCELLATIONS

BEFORE DEPARTURE
       CHARGE EUR 150.00 FOR CANCEL/REFUND.
       CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY.
         NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
          NOTE 1-IN THE EVENT OF NO-SHOW ON A CANCEL/REFUND
                 TICKET CHARGE EUR150.00 - CANCEL/REFUND FEE
                 EUR150.00 PLUS NO-SHOW FEE NON REFUNDABLE
                 CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY
          NOTE -
          TICKET NON REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF NOSHOW.REFUND ON
          PARTIALLY USED TICKETS IS NOT ALLOWED. REFUND OF
          ALL UNUSED TAXES IS ALLOWED INCLUDING UNUSED
          YR/YQ TAXES.
          NOTE 2 - THE LOCAL ADMINISTRATION/
           SERVICE/HANDLING FEE MAY
           APPLY IN ADDITION TO NOTE 1

AFTER DEPARTURE
       TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.

CHANGES

ANY TIME
       CHARGE EUR 75.00 FOR REISSUE.

ANY TIME
       CHARGE EUR 75.00 FOR REVALIDATION.
         NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
          NOTE 1-IN THE EVENT OF NO-SHOW
                 PERMITTED AT EUR225.00-REROUTING FEE
                 EUR75.00 PLUS NO SHOW FEE EUR150.00 OR
                 PERMITTED AT EUR225.00-REBOOKING FEE
                 EUR75.00 PLUS NO SHOW FEE EUR150.00
          NOTE 2 -GENERAL INFO FOR REROUTING/REBOOKING
              TO TKTD FLT FOR THIS FARE ARE AS BELOW
          1- REISSUE EQUALS TO REROUTING
          2- REVALIDATION EQUALS TO REBOOKING
          3- CHANGE OF AIRPORT WITHIN ONE CITY
              DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AS REROUTING
          4- CHANGE MUST BE MADE WITHIN TKT VALIDITY
          5- THE CHANGE FEE APPLIES PER TRANSACTION
              PER PERSON
          6- INFANT WITHOUT SEAT - NO CHANGE FEE
          7- CHILD/INFANT WITH SEAT -
              DISCOUNT APPLIES TO CHANGE FEE
          8- WHEN THE NEW ITINERARY RESULTS
              IN A  HIGHER FARE -
              COLLECT FARE DIFFERENCE -AND-
              COLLECT CHANGE FEE IF APPLICABLE
          9- WHEN THE NEW ITINERARY RESULTS
              IN A LOWER FARE-
              NO REFUND OF FARE DIFFERENCE -AND-
              COLLECT CHANGE FEE IF APPLICABLE
          10- IF CHANGE TO 1ST FLT CPN-
              RE-PRICE ALL FARES BELOW AND PROVIDE
              THE BEST RESULT TO PAX
           A- USE A CURRENT CX/KA RULE 0013
               L- FARE FOR REPRICE
               NEW TKT MAY BE EQUAL/HIGHER OR
               LOWER VALUE THAN PREVIOUS TKT
               AND MEASURE ADVANCE PURCHASE
               FROM TKT REISSUE DATE
           B- USE ANY CURRENT CX/KA
               FARE FOR REPRICE
               NEW TKT MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER
               VALUE THAN PREVIOUS TKT
               AND MEASURE ADVANCE PURCHASE
               FROM TKT REISSUE DATE
          11- IF NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLT CPN-
              RE-PRICE ALL FARES BELOW AND PROVIDE
              THE BEST RESULT TO PAX
           A- USE A HISTORICAL CX/KA RULE 0013
               L- FARE FOR REPRICE
           B- USE A HISTORICAL TICKETED FARE
               THAT DIFFERS ONLY IN
               SEASONALITY/DAY OF WEEK
               FOR REPRICE
           C- USE ANY HISTORICAL CX/KA
               FARE FOR REPRICE
               NEW TKT MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER
               VALUE THAN PREVIOUS TKT
          12- WHEN THIS FARE IS COMBINED
              WITH ANOTHER FARE-
           A- CHARGE THE HIGHEST CHANGE FEE
               OF ALL FARE COMPONENTS WITHIN
               ALL CHANGED PRICING UNITS
           B- IF THE TICKETED FARE ON ANY
               CHANGED FLIGHT COUPON DOES
               NOT ALLOW REFUND THEN THE FARE
               DIFFERENCE IS NOT REFUNDED
          NOTE 3 - THE LOCAL ADMINISTRATION/
           SERVICE/HANDLING FEE MAY
           APPLY IN ADDITION TO ABOVE NOTES
If in a reasonable fare class, this would result in approximately 30 000 points. The award points could then be converted into 10 000 tier points and as a result I would become a Silver by using just 560 euros.

Last edited by lkrt; Jul 31, 2015 at 3:38 am
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Choose an OTA that shows the fare code. When searching on matrix, a 575€ fare on CX books everything in L, which accrues 100% on AY+.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.