Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AhogZ
This Wikipost is community-maintained and For Information Only. Note that not all information may be up to date and should be used at your own risk.

Safe - Immediate turnaround is easy, i.e. according to experience it is possible to reach departure gate quickly and without extra security check when doing same plane turnaround.
Intermediate - Immediate turnaround is doable, but requires e.g. extra security check.
Risky - Immediate turnaround not recommended. (See notes.)

TO KEEP THE WIKI AS COHERENT AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE USE "SAFE", "INTERMEDIATE" OR "RISKY" APPROPRIATELY! (I.e. no "Safe" for stations that require any kind of security or transfer check, not to mention going landside, etc.)

Immediate turnaround information for European AY destinations:

ACE: ?
AGP: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.) Details here from August 2022
ALC: Intermediate, Arrivals pour from jetbridge to "funnel pathway" which takes people to baggage claim, but one can look for "Transfer" signage and take escalator up to the gate area. No checkpoints.
AMS: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
ARN: Safe / Intermediate (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate, except gate 62 arrival pours to baggage claim. ATR flights may be riskier if one ends up with a bus gate.)
ATH: Intermediate at best
AYT: ?
BCN: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
BER: ?
BGO: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BLL: ?
BMA: Safe (Transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and boarding will not start before the incoming plane is empty.)
BRU: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BUD: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CDG: ?
CFU: ?
CHQ: Risky (To landside first and security needed. Long lines possibile.)
CPH: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CTA: ?
DBV: ?
DUB: ?
DUS: ?
EDI: ? (Security check required for sure.)
FCO: Intermediate / Risky. Bus transportation can cause long walks.
FNC: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight. Mobile BP not available, obtain a BP from HEL.)
FRA: Safe (Even with the bus from stand you can make it.)
FUE: ?
GDN: Risky (Providing it is ATR by Norra, apron position, walking / bussing to the arrivals, queue security (can be very long), sprint upstairs to the gate.)
GOT: Safe / Intermediate(At least on tube arrival, after exit from the tube to the terminal area, turn around and you are at the departure gate. No info on possible bus gates though.)
GVA: ?
GZP: ?
HAJ: Safe (Arrival at departure gate)
HAM: ?
HER: ?
IBZ: ?
INN: Intermediate / Risky (To landside first and then security. No airside transit.)
IVL: Safe, arrivals pour into the gate area.
JOE: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
JSI: ?
JTR: ?
JYV: ?
KAJ: ?
KAO: ?
KEF: ?
KEM: ?
KGS: ?
KOK: ?
KRK: Intermediate (AY rarely has a jetty position so bus, arrivals then go upstairs to departures for security, there is a fast track for OW elites - not well signposted - separate B/Pass scanner to the left)
KTT: ?
KUO: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
LHR: Intermediate (Need to go via Flight Connections to reclear security, which may take time depending on the time of the day.)
LIS: ?
LIN: Safe, arrivals pour into departures.
LJU: ?
LPA: ?
LYS: ?
MAD: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
MAH: ?
MAN: Intermediate/Risky, requires reclearing security.
MHQ: ?
MSQ: ?
MUC: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
MXP: Intermediate / Risky (Arrivals come into a different floor, transfer requires walking through a transfer point and distances are quite long.)
NAP: ?
NCE: ?
OSL: Safe / Intermediate (D gates pours directly to departures. E gates also pours to departure gate, follow transit arrow, automatic gate door will open during "normal" hours. IF door doesn't open go upstairs try the transfer security. Very rare reports of stand arrival with bus to exit, but should still be doable, security is usually fast and short distances.)
OUL: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
PFO: ?
PMI: ?
PRG: Safe (From arrivals walk up to departures to departure gate.)
PVK: ?
RHO: Risky (Arrivals pour to baggage claim, security check usually has long lines before you get to the departure hall.)
RIX: Risky. After deplaning, you walk to the terminal, but boarding is done with buses. My flight was delayed, and they started boarding before the plane was even there.
RMI: ?
RVN: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
SPU: ?
SZG: ?
TAY: ?
TFS: ?
TLL: Risky (May have a remote stand arrival, when departing flight has been boarded into a bus with boarding gate already closed.)
TLV: ?
TOS: ?
UME: ?
VAA: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
VBY: ?
VCE: ?
VIE: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
VNO: Risky. (Departing pax board bus when arriving pax still deplaning. Connection corridor available but not sure how straightforward it is).
VRN: ?
WAW: Safe (Arrivals pour to departure gate.)
ZRH: Safe (When exiting the bridge, you are under the gates and there are inclined speedwalks that bring back to the gates upstairs.)

Immediate turnaround information for selected longhaul AY destinations:

DEL: Intermediate (There's plenty of time for the obligatory visit to the transit desk and security. However, you'll need a self-printed visa confirmation to show the gate agent at HEL.)
DOH: ?
DXB: Intermediate (Follow "connections" to security downstairs and after that go to transfer desk if needed.)
JFK: Intermediate (Generous time with the new schedule, but you'll need to clear US immigration so ESTA or visa is needed.)
NRT: Intermediate (OLCI and mobile BP works, no need to go landside. There's transfer security, though.)
Print Wikipost

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:41 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FFlash
Argh I am getting depressed of all the FF program changes and associated enhancements and sweet spots disappearing. Now I don't dare to book any AA Y since I am quite sure they will disappear soon. Others following. Also the dark side is going to be enhanced soon, namely SAS...

Easy solution, fly more leisure J, there are still some sweeties...this is what I am planning for next period, but who knows if the spend-based crediting will follow from North america then we are busted.
Indeed... Looking at the Alaska mileage plan changes for AA flights in Y since Aug 1 it is looking like AA flights will not be worth taking post Aug 1!

I have one AY Y flight and one AA/ba Y flight scheduled for this year but noclue where to credit them!

Then again I like you am set for OWE qualification for this year but still annoyibg to see the Y flyers put to pasture
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
As a side note FFlash where are you reading of the SAS enhancements? I have three SK LH flights booked!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by kauppias
As a side note FFlash where are you reading of the SAS enhancements? I have three SK LH flights booked!
They do have announced to launch an "improved" eurobonus after summer sometime. The rumors and comments on businessclass.se and what their VP sales guy told me at SAS event makes me deduct there will be "enhancements" to beware of (now it is simply too easy to collect points at EB so they might go bankcrupt on current model anyway).
And I am holding +210k points on my account...I was already booking award 2 times, but both I had to cancel...

Well, now it got OT for Finnair forum, but still... if they enhance, this will make AY look better
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: AY+ Silver, IHG Gold Elite
HEL-LAX through LHR or JFK with 388,-. A lot of avalaible dates in Sep-November.

Bookable even through Finnair webpage. Books in Economy Campaign (O).

Am I correct if I book LHR-LAX-LHR with AA metal (and codes) they would credit 100% in Miles (meaning 8756 miles one way)? But if I book with AY codes it would like half the points?

That would be 19512 points total.

Last edited by Vesseli; Jun 30, 2016 at 6:36 am
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: Finnair, BA, AA
Hi guys & gals, I'm new to the forum. I tried to crack this question today thru the internet and surfing here but I wasn't able to find a definite answer.

I'm based in Helsinki and I fly to the US, Europe, Asia and Australia fairly frequently. I've clocked something like 100,000 miles this year. I pay for the flights myself and charge my company for expenses. I now fly with Finnair but I have the nagging feeling that the Finnair Plus programme is not really rewarding me optimally and I have the understanding, that flying with BA and using my Executive Club would be more beneficial.. ? I don't fly business class (I guess no-one anymore really does).

Thanks for any answers, help and input in advance.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by drwho
Hi guys & gals, I'm new to the forum. I tried to crack this question today thru the internet and surfing here but I wasn't able to find a definite answer.

I'm based in Helsinki and I fly to the US, Europe, Asia and Australia fairly frequently. I've clocked something like 100,000 miles this year. I pay for the flights myself and charge my company for expenses. I now fly with Finnair but I have the nagging feeling that the Finnair Plus programme is not really rewarding me optimally and I have the understanding, that flying with BA and using my Executive Club would be more beneficial.. ? I don't fly business class (I guess no-one anymore really does).

Thanks for any answers, help and input in advance.
Welcome to FT, drwho! I'm surprised that handle was still available

I'd recommend filling in the questions in this (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...p-here-76.html) thread for the best possible answer. If you fly only Economy, BA's EC programme is no longer that great an option.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
If you mainly fly AY, even in Y, the AY progamme might be the best for you - especially if you can afford the 100% earning tickets. 100k miles are 160k km, so roughly you're in AY Plat (OWE) land.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by drwho
I pay for the flights myself and charge my company for expenses.
Using the AY Diners card would land you a nice amount of award points after hitting platinum (1€=3points). I wish we would have the same policy..
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
If you mainly fly AY, even in Y, the AY progamme might be the best for you - especially if you can afford the 100% earning tickets. 100k miles are 160k km, so roughly you're in AY Plat (OWE) land.
the problem with "best" is, drwho didn't define what's important for him. Best is subjective (redemptions, status, upgrades, best looking card) and I think the format on the oneworld forum is pretty okay in pulling teeth on what the poster expects to achieve.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by FFlash
They do have announced to launch an "improved" eurobonus after summer sometime. The rumors and comments on businessclass.se and what their VP sales guy told me at SAS event makes me deduct there will be "enhancements" to beware of (now it is simply too easy to collect points at EB so they might go bankcrupt on current model anyway).
And I am holding +210k points on my account...I was already booking award 2 times, but both I had to cancel...

Well, now it got OT for Finnair forum, but still... if they enhance, this will make AY look better
Intresting, I have not credited any miles to EB for 4 years after some really bad customer service infact I stopped flying them all together for 2 years due to the issue I am now debating returning to EB as my secondary Star alliance home with a jumping start but we will see I will have to keep an eyes open

It seems AY plus only works if hitting platinum, while platinum would be easy for me to upkeep it would be a pain to get from basic to Platinum
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:10 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by kauppias
... platinum would be easy for me to upkeep it would be a pain to get from basic to Platinum
The tier bonus is only 25% so how does that change it from "a pain" to "easy"?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by intuition
I assume that as long as you don't fly J it makes flying way more convenient. So starting with Basic in Y is a pain.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:36 pm

Programs: Finnair, BA, AA
Originally Posted by remymartin
the problem with "best" is, drwho didn't define what's important for him. Best is subjective (redemptions, status, upgrades, best looking card) and I think the format on the oneworld forum is pretty okay in pulling teeth on what the poster expects to achieve.
A good point indeed. I really don't need the lounges (I have PP), the ability to shop things at a frequent flyer store, how the card looks, status or the small things. What I would value is the ability to use the miles gained on new flights and this is where BA's Avios is better than Finnair Plus points.. ?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by intuition
Flying with ay basic on my boarding card with mix my MoJo 😀😀😀🍻

Even without tier bonuses I clock an easy 125000-175000 Oneworld miles per year unfortunately MOST of it is in Y so status is a biggie for me perhaps too biggie 😃

I keep forgetting that at AY toer bonuses count as Elite qualifying like over at SK, I have been AA and ba Captive too long I suppose.

But the tier bonus is not why I would find it a pain to start with basic and why I propably wont start is just simple nutty logic I guess

Perhaps 2017 will just be a redemption year and I will start a new status program early 2018 if starting from zero then why not maximize it
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Start with AY Basic, and use your stash to u/g and thus ease the pain during the transition period. Waving your AA EXP card also makes it less painful.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Jul 1, 2016 at 2:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.