Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
This lounge is now closed and replaced by the Finnair Premium Wing.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1973050-ay-platinum-wing-now-open.html

Print Wikipost

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
In the non-Schengen area of an intercontinental airport... maybe they should forget the local customs a bit, and post a huge sign noting that it is UNISEX.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by Courmisch
In the non-Schengen area of an intercontinental airport... maybe they should forget the local customs a bit, and post a huge sign noting that it is UNISEX.
Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly that some signage and instructions for sauna newbies wouldn't hurt anyone given the amount of transit passengers from non-sauna-cultures...
Old Nov 11, 2014, 4:50 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Perhaps add a yellow "WARNING, WARNING" signage, as well?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:06 am

Quick question about guesting in this lounge. Can I enter in to the lounge with my OW sapphire card and come back to the desk later to guest my sister in who is traveling on the same flight but she is coming litle later than me to the airport? Or do I have to enter in to the lounge at the same time with my guest? Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by novelle
Quick question about guesting in this lounge. Can I enter in to the lounge with my OW sapphire card and come back to the desk later to guest my sister in who is traveling on the same flight but she is coming litle later than me to the airport? Or do I have to enter in to the lounge at the same time with my guest? Thanks!
I have done so many times in other lounges, and don't see a problem with this. You might want to let the staff know when you enter the first time, though.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
This may not be a good idea after all, since some odd Finnish people might read that very very wrong
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by FFlash
This may not be a good idea after all, since some odd Finnish people might read that very very wrong
My understanding is that, even in Finland, unisex sauna is the exception rather than the rule. It might be unisex so within the family and in some semi-private student parties, but otherwise sauna is mostly gender-discriminated.

The traditional public sauna and (naked) swimming pool in downtown Helsinki definitely is not unisex: it opens on different days for each gender.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:45 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
My understanding is that, even in Finland, unisex sauna is the exception rather than the rule. It might be unisex so within the family and in some semi-private student parties, but otherwise sauna is mostly gender-discriminated.
You are correct.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:01 pm

I don't see how posting a red alert, unisex, on the door would actually solve the problem? How about posting an orange when a girl is inside, and a lemon when a bloke is inside? I find the whole discussion rather silly.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:18 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Sitting in the new Premium lounge for the first time. Pretty impressed by the food and drink offerings. Definitely high quality! The layout is quite nice, although I find that the chairs positioned upstairs, closest to the windows, are quite tightly spaced (1st world problem )

I do find that for my personal taste, the "all white" look can be a little overwhelming, especially as the lounge is quite empty now. On another positive, the newspaper selection seems to be also expanded, so that's another plus.

Only have another 15 minutes to enjoy, so need to grab another drink , but the short story is that this is a vast improvement to the old lounge..
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:44 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Sitting in the new Premium lounge for the first time. Pretty impressed by the food and drink offerings. Definitely high quality! ..
Judging by the time you posted, I guess this is in regards to the snack menu? (breakfast ends 10.00, hot food starts at 15.00) Or did they serve other things too?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by intuition
Judging by the time you posted, I guess this is in regards to the snack menu? (breakfast ends 10.00, hot food starts at 15.00) Or did they serve other things too?
Warm food included grilled chicken breasts, rosemary potatoes and roasted veggies, plus a couple of soups. Nice set of small fingerfoods and deserts, fruit salads and the like. I'm sure I'm missing something, but had just eaten an early lunch and was pretty stuffed, so didn't actually taste anything except sampling the drink options..
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:38 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
In the premium lounge now.

Snack food is nice and of good quality. No hot food present at the moment (which it should as it is said to be available after 1500)

A nice touch are the "drink stations" ie coffe and cold drinks are available at several points in the lounge. Sadly they missed to restock some refrigerators, so we had to to go to the bar anyway and order a sprite.

The lighting design (in the middle section) is not to my taste. Now it is purple and it makes computer-screens go pale gray-green. That area is a bit too open, and someone is making a loud (unnecessary) phonecall. (Why does people feel the need to call other while on the road and speak about nothing for hours?)
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:19 am
Moderator, Finnair

BTW, I found the hot food section now. Rosted potates and veggies yes, but no chicken or any other meat or fish. Tasty but the selection is rather disappointing to me.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

And another observation - we are an entourage of 3 with J tickets and one plat card. Upon arrival I asked if the entourage could stay together in the premium lounge and answer was "of course".

It felt like a nice gesture.
Now after thinking about it a while, I hope there are no ulterior motives. Since they use the premium lounge to off load the business lounge I mean. Ie one extra visitor allowed to premium is one J pax less in the business lounge...

Anyway, load factor in the premium lounge was OK all afternoon. There was a peak around 1600 I think, when it was filled to about 75%. Now it died down again and about 10-15 people here in total.

So at least today I'd say it was premium and mostly realxing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.