Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair and Flybe to part ways

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:21 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I didn't understand why they insisted on operating as an independent airline with no alliance benefits rather than as an integrated express operator like American Eagle. For me, they were as unattractive as any other non-allied airline, and I didn't fly with them once.

Flybe Finland is an official oneWorld affiliate with full OW benefits for all routes operated on behalf of Finnair.
Or are you talking about Flybe UK?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I suppose Passmethesickbag meant flights operated under their own code.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
You know what? The fine print on aa.com says:

"Note: Flights marketed by Finnair and operated by FlyBe Nordic are eligible for mileage accrual."

and I, it being fine print, had mentally filled in a NOT in that text.

Oh well. I'm sure it wasn't the lack of business from me that brought the JV down.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:48 am

Could Air Baltic step in? They like to co-operate with everyone (AB, BA, KL, SK, SU, RO, OK, AZ, AF, SN, OS etc). It seems that only AY and LH are out.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Isn't BT mostly, if not only, sharing codes to/from RIX - in the most restrictive and traditional fashion. I don't really see how that would help AY who's looking for a feeder airline at HEL.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
Isn't BT mostly, if not only, sharing codes to/from RIX - in the most restrictive and traditional fashion. I don't really see how that would help AY who's looking for a feeder airline at HEL.
That's true, but they also operate routes at least rom Vilnius. In the past they had big dreams of buying Finncomm although against Finnair. It is a well-run company they many shared destinations with AY so the infrastructure is there At the airports. They might well be interested on creating a second hub in Helsinki in co-operation with AY. This is pure speculation.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:04 am

Will this have any impact on services scheduled to be operated by Flybe for Finnair over the coming months?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:49 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by EI147
Will this have any impact on services scheduled to be operated by Flybe for Finnair over the coming months?
None as far as we know now. Flybe Nordic/Finland is operating as before. It is just that the owners couldn't agree on the road ahead, and decided new partners were needed.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
BT is a horrible airline, that would kill any airline doing feeder traffic. Let's hope for the best...
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: AY Gold
AY probably prefers a feeder airline who can operate the current ATR/Embraer fleet, owned by AY. But who could that be?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:29 am

What about GC (Braathens Regional) or Jettime.
SAS seems quite happy with the latter ones.

BT, and to some extent OV, maybe have the cost basis, but I'm not quite sure AY is willing to jump into bed with them (and vice versa).
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
OV would certainly be an interesting alternative. They are also already flying E170s (AY-owned, aren't they?). Looking at the current OV route map, there aren't many destinations left so they might need a boost.

But OV is 90 % state owned. I don't think the Estonian government would like to see their national airline as a mere feeder of the Finnish big brother.

On the other hand, a AY-OV partnership should and would open up interesting opportunities for both airlines. Thin routes could be operated HEL-TLL-XXX, for instance.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:48 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

AY is actually already codesharing with one Braathens company, namely TF. Now, they only operate Avros (RJ85 and RJ100). It is a healthy airline but I have no idea if they could be a partner in this. But if Sweden closes BMA as threatened, their hub is gone and they might be looking for new adventures.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
OV is going to be privatized soon by Tallink ship-company guys. They supposedly got big plans to add more destinations to network, so they are probably not planning to be feeders...unless this business is able to make money, which seems highly doubtful.

Originally Posted by ffay005
But OV is 90 % state owned. I don't think the Estonian government would like to see their national airline as a mere feeder of the Finnish big brother.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:08 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I found some gems in the Blomberg article cited here: http://www.flyertalk.com/story/finna...perations.html

It seems BE was happy operating the Embraer flights for AY under wetlease but couldn't make the domestic BE operated/coded flights work and lost 10+ million on it in the past year. They wanted AY to extend the same wetlease deal for the domestic ATR ops, but AY wouldn't budge, so they parted ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.