Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Expedia booked MH flight not showing in AY account but elsewhere!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:07 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver

I have booked a return flight (all in J) to KUL with MH and entered both my FB and AY+ numbers as:

GVA-AMS is with KL and I was asked for my ST number only for this segment
AMS-KUL is with MH and I was asked for my OW number only for this segment

When I received the booking confirmation I could see that all the frequent flyer numbers have been correctly assigned as expected and also showing the AY+ being OW Sapphire and my ST as Elite

When I now log onto the AY+ account, I do not see any of the flights, but when I log onto AF or KL's web site with my FB number all are there?

MH also sent me a confirmation with the FF numbers being "attached" correctly as I could not see anything on MH's website either.

Both segments have different PNR's by the look of it (I think the MH is 5 digigts and the KL is 6 digits)...

Very strange in deed... (at least to a novice like myself).

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:24 am

I have never seen MH bookings on my AY+ account, except for one that is (re)booked from/by QR.

As you say they have different booking systems. That might be the reason.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
In my recent experience with a TA-made booking on MH (including a first and last leg on EI), the booking could not be found at all on the Malaysia Airlines website.

However, I was able to view the booking via the Malaysia Airlines app.

What you are describing is not strange at all. Malaysia have an unusual internal system, and indeed, their PNRs are all 5-character alphanumeric codes. (Even using this MH-specific PNR on their website would not bring up the booking - it was only ever viewable on their app).

KL and Expedia both use, I believe, Amadeus as their GDS, so you would have a standard 6-character alphanumeric PNR which should work on the KL site, on any Amadeus (www.checkmytrip.com etc) site, or with Expedia.

Don't worry that you can't see the booking on the MH website, but try it on the app if this is an option for you. I have a feeling that you will at least be able to call up the reservation there. Also, you might have some difficulty checking in online, at least EI were not able to issue boarding passes though they did check bags all the way through, and although I was able to "check in" for the MH sectors on the MH website - once ALL sectors were within the OLCI window, I didn't actually receive a boarding pass, just an information slip to bring to the check-in desks [they presumably wanted to verify themselves that I had not skipped the first non-MH segment]. Perhaps the KL and MH systems talk together slightly better, but you may not be able to get boarding passes for all segments until you present yourself at AMS for your first MH segment.

And don't worry about the FFP numbers, I threw in both my BA (for the EI segments) and an MH (for the MH segments, as they would not earn in any other programme) numbers for the flights - though I got the check-in agent to change the number when I collected my MH boarding passes - and everything worked perfectly.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:05 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by irishguy28
What you are describing is not strange at all. Malaysia have an unusual internal system, and indeed, their PNRs are all 5-character alphanumeric codes. (Even using this MH-specific PNR on their website would not bring up the booking - it was only ever viewable on their app).

KL and Expedia both use, I believe, Amadeus as their GDS, so you would have a standard 6-character alphanumeric PNR which should work on the KL site, on any Amadeus (www.checkmytrip.com etc) site, or with Expedia.
You pop up the strange places irishguy28

Exactly what you say...

OT: Where do I then get the BP's for the MH segment (Surely not at the Crown lounge)? I gather the OW lounge would be able to do this?

Also, why do the flights not show up on my AY+ account? I did a BA booking to SFO on the BA site and the flights did show up correctly...
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MH uses the Servisair lounge at Schiphol but I would use the BA lounge instead if your OW status allows this!

You can obtain boarding passes airside, if needs be, at any of the transfer desks.

From what I can gather, you have no AY flights or AY coded flights - so perhaps it's not strange that they won't show up there. BA won't show itineraries on which they have no participation or which they did not make for you either, even when the BA number is in/added to the reservation.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:42 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks man... Highly appreciated in deed... ^

My SFO flight was BA all the way with BA numbers only...
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cupart
My SFO flight was BA all the way with BA numbers only...
A joint-venture flight may be different, in that it may be visible to all (or some) OW partners, possibly dependent on how the booking was made.

But an OTA booking made on KL and MH - probably not a candidate for popping up magically in your AY account just because you gave that number...

Actually, have a look and see if you can view the booking on the QR website. They sometimes seem to have a better overview of OW bookings!!! I was able to add my BA number to a single Air Berlin flight within a Virgin Australia-issued VA/EY/AB ticket last year on the QR website, something I could do nowhere else, not even on the AB website!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:52 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Super tip... I'll give that a go and see what happens...

Thanks again for all your help here ^^^
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:55 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
But an OTA booking made on KL and MH - probably not a candidate for popping up magically in your AY account just because you gave that number...
Well, other trips do.
At least for me, I can usually access any booked trip in OW from MMB on AY, regardless of where I did the booking. Haven't tried MH though.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, as stated above, trips with their joint venture partners, or trips made by OW partners that, like AY, use Amadeus, most likely can also be seen by AY.

I have, in the past, consulted OW bookings using the AY website.

However - MH does not use Amadeus, and seem to have their own weird GDS and a website that doesn't even show third party bookings (Aer Lingus is similar in this regard, only bookings made directly with EI are guaranteed to allow full functionality of their website's Manage My Booking facility).
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Slightly unrelated question - Cupart, are you able to select pre-seats for the MH flight? It's completely impossible to do for Y bookings.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The travel agent was able to make seat reservations for me - but you're right, it's not possible to do this yourself.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:03 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by remymartin
Slightly unrelated question - Cupart, are you able to select pre-seats for the MH flight? It's completely impossible to do for Y bookings.
I booked in J and as the booking was done through a TA I was not given direct access to the seat map even here. I was pre assigned two seats (strangely in the middle even though lots were available on either side in addition to my OW status)...

What I did was, I logged into my AF account and got the seat map up there and chose the seats I wanted, but only because the GVA-AMS flights are operated by KL and I gave them my FB number... I also sent a mail to MH for configuration that the seats had been given as per my wish (got an answer 2 days later confirming the change had taken place)...
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:04 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Actually, have a look and see if you can view the booking on the QR website. They sometimes seem to have a better overview of OW bookings!!!
Nope, did not work...
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:38 am
Company Representative - Finnair

Programs: Finnair Plus
Dear all,
We have checked this from our IT and it is possible to see reservations on Finnair Plus profile mainly when Finnair (AY) coded flight is present.

Best Regards,
Finnair Plus Rep

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.